R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
Spencer Wells shared this on Facebook:

http://blog.visme.co/most-common-birthday/

R8xvkb8.jpg

Bz9jbyO.png

Maybe I should plan a trip to Italy for December. :bigsmile:

That was a nice one. I always wonder about that. Since we know the human are the sexiest creatures...
I thought for the case of Greece that April/May/June would be the high peak for births, but it looks I was wrong.

I still wonder if there any cultural reasons for our behaviour, or just a "good temperature" issue. I also probably would be interested a list for the aborted cases, I mean, -Αre some part of the season better for familly planning? or, -At what time/season are we more "spontaneous active"? and with some extend maybe we could see if the modern and more populations are outgrowth result of consious family planning project or simply "lovechildren" of their -"own"- time.

Anyway, I love "May" and it's children... So at August, I'm free for planning a new brave world... :grin:

Last edited:
I is much easier to explain this behavior in simple societies of hunter gatherer and farmers, but it is hard for modern western civilization where most of sex happens in protective way. In the West it is more about amount of unprotected sex and conscious decision to have a baby these days.
Are people more reckless on some months? Perhaps they watch more romantic and family movies around Christmas?
I've looked a little bit deeper into these stats for countries and months, and it is very interesting. One could expect for a country with tens of millions citizens, like Italy for example, to have rather steady number of births from month to month. The scale of big numbers. Instead we can see regular jumps of 10 percent from month to month, and 20 on occasions. Why is that?

http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=POP&f=tableCode:55#POP

I is much easier to explain this behavior in simple societies of hunter gatherer and farmers, but it is hard for modern western civilization where most of sex happens in protective way. In the West it is more about amount of unprotected sex and conscious decision to have a baby these days.
Are people more reckless on some months? Perhaps they watch more romantic and family movies around Christmas?
I've looked a little bit deeper into these stats for countries and months, and it is very interesting. One could expect for a country with tens of millions citizens, like Italy for example, to have rather steady number of births from month to month. The scale of big numbers. Instead we can see regular jumps of 10 percent from month to month, and 20 on occasions. Why is that?

http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=POP&f=tableCode:55#POP

I can personally attest to the fact that most Italians don't have air conditioning. I don't think most people in most parts of Europe have it. The mosquitoes are also killers in the summer months. Even if you're not using birth control and are trying for a baby, the thought of having sex when it's brutally hot and there's not a breath stirring is daunting even for people who love sex. It would have to be the first few years I can't keep my hands off him stage! :)

There may be more to it though (to move into the scientific from the personal), including programmed hormonal differences. Wouldn't it be more conducive to offspring survival for the baby to be born in harvest season (or gathering season) when food is more plentiful? Babies born in the past in the periods when the reserved food is almost gone would have died, as the mothers wouldn't have been producing very much milk.

By the way, for the more technically minded, could screens be manufactured and installed in European style windows to keep out the mosquitoes and flies? Why aren't they more common?

By the way, for the more technically minded, could screens be manufactured and installed in European style windows to keep out the mosquitoes and flies? Why aren't they more common?
Tradition! Technically it is more difficult to install a screen if window opens towards inside. But not impossible, so the only explanation is tradition.

Tradition! Technically it is more difficult to install a screen if window opens towards inside. But not impossible, so the only explanation is tradition.

Well, I think it's totally dumb, although I never say so! :)

If you're right by the coast it's not really all that much of a problem usually, because of the breezes, but elsewhere it's a complete nuisance, especially for someone like me whom mosquitoes just ADORE! I also don't understand it because all the Italians I know are germ phobic about flies, as they should be, so every morsel of food is immediately covered with clean kitchen towels etc.

As ingenious as they are, there has to be a way to invent a good system. Someone should do some test marketing and see what the attitude would be. They could make a fortune if the demand is present. If none are commercially available by the time I retire I'm going to have to have someone gerry rig some up.

Well, I think it's totally dumb, although I never say so! :)

If you're right by the coast it's not really all that much of a problem usually, because of the breezes, but elsewhere it's a complete nuisance, especially for someone like me whom mosquitoes just ADORE! I also don't understand it because all the Italians I know are germ phobic about flies, as they should be, so every morsel of food is immediately covered with clean kitchen towels etc.

As ingenious as they are, there has to be a way to invent a good system. Someone should do some test marketing and see what the attitude would be. They could make a fortune if the demand is present. If none are commercially available by the time I retire I'm going to have to have someone gerry rig some up.
...and people don't want something they don't know. Screens are coming but it is a very slow process. This is an article from 2003!

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/02/b...eenless-windows-bugs-come-and-go.html?mcubz=0

This thread has been viewed 4082 times.

Back