Reaction score
Ethnic group
a true mutt
Y-DNA haplogroup
Pat-U106-H11a10
mtDNA haplogroup
H5a1b
Hello Everyone,
I have a question about matches for mtDNA and would appreciate any comments on the odd match results. My father is H11a, and has a match of U5a1a1-T152C!

Hello Everyone,
I have a question about matches for mtDNA and would appreciate any comments on the odd match results. My father is H11a, and has a match of U5a1a1-T152C!

Welcome to the forum. Your father's H11a came from his mother. Any relative from a different mother line will have a different mtDNA haplogroup, unless by chance it's the same.

What website are you using to generate matches? If it's GEDmatch, then it's self reported. Maybe they put the T in the wrong column and it's supposed to be a YDNA haplogroup?

You cannot be both T and U.

Hello Everyone,

Your father and his mother are H11a
your father's paternal grandmother could be U5a1a1

Your father and his mother are H11a
your father's paternal grandmother could be U5a1a1

Yes, that's very true, but then why would there be an mtDNA match? This is a match reported by ftDNA in the mtDNA matches module. I assume it would be the back mutation, except his dna does not show that back mutation.

Yes, that's very true, but then why would there be an mtDNA match? This is a match reported by ftDNA in the mtDNA matches module. I assume it would be the back mutation, except his dna does not show that back mutation.

It's not a mtDNA match. It's an X chromosome match. Those are two different things. The X chromosome is number 23 but mtDNA is mitochondrial DNA - a different thing altogether.

There is so much for me to learn.

This thread has been viewed 4280 times.

Back