Genetics of Personality Development

I uploaded to that dna health site "Awakens" to see my free(very limited) reading based on a fraction of a percent of the genome(had to pay 2k for a full genome read). There were definitely mutations which I found accurate based on what I know. But what I could see was very limited.

23andme does a bit of that, if you've taken their test, and it's all accurate for me.

You can tell a lot by looking at your own family. In a lot of ways, in terms of personality, I'm a heck of a lot more like my paternal aunts than I am like my mother and her family. My sister in law and I agree that her daughter is a lot more like me than she is like either of her parents or than like my daughter, for that matter. She jokes that all she has to show for it is the C-section scar. She's virtually a clone of me, from her obsession with reading and music, her shyness and reserve when she was young, down to the meticulous way she maintains her room and her belongings. She also looks a lot like me.

Older people in small rural villages knew what they were talking about when they said that certain traits run in certain families. When families have been interacting for generations, they can see it, while with our more modern mobility, we can't. That was just another factor in encouraging or discouraging certain relationships.

23andme does a bit of that, if you've taken their test, and it's all accurate for me.

You can tell a lot by looking at your own family. In a lot of ways, in terms of personality, I'm a heck of a lot more like my paternal aunts than I am like my mother and her family. My sister in law and I agree that her daughter is a lot more like me than she is like either of her parents or than like my daughter, for that matter. She jokes that all she has to show for it is the C-section scar. She's virtually a clone of me, from her obsession with reading and music, her shyness and reserve when she was young, down to the meticulous way she maintains her room and her belongings. She also looks a lot like me.

Older people in small rural villages knew what they were talking about when they said that certain traits run in certain families. When families have been interacting for generations, they can see it, while with our more modern mobility, we can't. That was just another factor in encouraging or discouraging certain relationships.

Everyone tells me I am a lot like my Paternal Grandfather in looks and especially personality. He was the more level headed of the family, which seems the case for me. My Paternal Grandmother would tell me, "your temper is just like your grandfather". He was mostly very civil, calm etc, but when pushed it would become the complete opposite of civil and calm. Very little of a medium between the two. Outside of my father and mother, in terms of personality, I am very far removed from the rest of my family. The good majority of them lived in a very isolated part of a mountain valley in Diber, Albania. So, when they first arrived in the US it was like time traveling to the future. All magic to them.

I love reading and drawing, which is something my mother loves. I imagine the artistic nature stems from her., My mom says I remind her of her paternal uncle when it comes to being forgiving and less judgmental. Whereas, her father was always strict and judgmental even if it was hypocritical. Her paternal side followed Kanun Law prior to leaving Albania and going to Sweden. My sisters are very much like my maternal aunts in looks and personality, with my oldest sister being more like my father in in personality and looks.

My cousin looks likes like his maternal uncle, and even has his same habits and personality, down to smoking, violent tendencies, and the like lol.

The 23andme portion for personality traits was 2 thirds accurate with some being way off.

Everyone tells me I am a lot like my Paternal Grandfather in looks and especially personality. He was the more level headed of the family, which seems the case for me. My Paternal Grandmother would tell me, "your temper is just like your grandfather". He was mostly very civil, calm etc, but when pushed it would become the complete opposite of civil and calm. Very little of a medium between the two. Outside of my father and mother, in terms of personality, I am very far removed from the rest of my family. The good majority of them lived in a very isolated part of a mountain valley in Diber, Albania. So, when they first arrived in the US it was like time traveling to the future. All magic to them.

I love reading and drawing, which is something my mother loves. I imagine the artistic nature stems from her., My mom says I remind her of her paternal uncle when it comes to being forgiving and less judgmental. Whereas, her father was always strict and judgmental even if it was hypocritical. Her paternal side followed Kanun Law prior to leaving Albania and going to Sweden. My sisters are very much like my maternal aunts in looks and personality, with my oldest sister being more like my father in in personality and looks.

My cousin looks likes like his maternal uncle, and even has his same habits and personality, down to smoking, violent tendencies, and the like lol.

The 23andme portion for personality traits was 2 thirds accurate with some being way off.

Yes, unfortunately we inherit some bad things along with the good. :) I wish I didn't have the hot temper and impatience of my father's side or the anxiety of my mother's, but there you have it: inheritance is like a game of chance, like rolling the genetic dice.

On the other hand, there's still approximately half of it which to some extent is within our control. I learned not to be so shy and reserved, to practice patience, and to calm myself and quiet my anxiety or anger. It can be done; it just takes a lot of work. :)

If people acquire some wisdom I think they also realize that they shouldn't get so big headed about their good traits. I didn't "earn" my ability to focus and do well in school, or my level head; I just got lucky.

Yes, unfortunately we inherit some bad things along with the good. :) I wish I didn't have the hot temper and impatience of my father's side or the anxiety of my mother's, but there you have it: inheritance is like a game of chance, like rolling the genetic dice.

On the other hand, there's still approximately half of it which to some extent is within our control. I learned not to be so shy and reserved, to practice patience, and to calm myself and quiet my anxiety or anger. It can be done; it just takes a lot of work. :)

If people acquire some wisdom I think they also realize that they shouldn't get so big headed about their good traits. I didn't "earn" my ability to focus and do well in school, or my level head; I just got lucky.

yea my temper is not good lol. I usually keep it wrapped up until it explodes. But I'm not human when I do. Which is not good lol. Anxiety is a new development for me. I recently learned it was something my maternal uncle struggled with. He also died young sadly. Migraine is also something I wish I hadn't inherited from my father.

Though(correct me if I am wrong) I understand that even though we inherit these genes from both parents, despite the level of difficulty one may encounter as a result; we can still work to "rewire/rewrite" those predetermined factors that may decrease the inheritance factor of said genes.

I imagine our thoughts, habits, which contribute to these heritable factors can change with hard work.

Yea, I went from being too extroverted to too introverted. I'm now at a point where I'm trying to keep one foot out one foot in. So to speak. I have learned to calm my anxiety. What my anxiety triggers is red ear syndrome which literally makes me miserable. I have learned to quite this but it still strikes time to time. And I noticed my father has it(inheritance I'm sure) but didn't notice it until I had it myself.

Im still on the fence about how genes work regarding intelligence. Perhaps some genes affect ones ability to absorb material in different ways. Or perhaps make problem solving more natural. I can't see how it would affect ones ability to think logically and reason.

yea my temper is not good lol. I usually keep it wrapped up until it explodes. But I'm not human when I do. Which is not good lol. Anxiety is a new development for me. I recently learned it was something my maternal uncle struggled with. He also died young sadly. Migraine is also something I wish I hadn't inherited from my father.

Though(correct me if I am wrong) I understand that even though we inherit these genes from both parents, despite the level of difficulty one may encounter as a result; we can still work to "rewire/rewrite" those predetermined factors that may decrease the inheritance factor of said genes.

I imagine our thoughts, habits, which contribute to these heritable factors can change with hard work.

Yea, I went from being too extroverted to too introverted. I'm now at a point where I'm trying to keep one foot out one foot in. So to speak. I have learned to calm my anxiety. What my anxiety triggers is red ear syndrome which literally makes me miserable. I have learned to quite this but it still strikes time to time. And I noticed my father has it(inheritance I'm sure) but didn't notice it until I had it myself.

Im still on the fence about how genes work regarding intelligence. Perhaps some genes affect ones ability to absorb material in different ways. Or perhaps make problem solving more natural. I can't see how it would affect ones ability to think logically and reason.

That's how I interpret the data so far. You have some control, but it's not easy. I think that's the case from all the identical twin studies they've done. There are some differences because they were raised apart, but the similarities are quite overwhelming. I personally think you have a better shot at controlling some of these things if you know that it's possible and if you get the proper support. I just didn't want to be so shy and reserved, and I had a husband who was the opposite and just wouldn't tolerate me being a "wall flower". I even got instruction in how to approach a new group of people, what to say and what not to say. It was like "Social Skills 101". :)

The same applies to health related traits. There's no addiction in my family, thank goodness, but I've seen how it runs in families, and from what I've seen the ones who really don't want to go down that road just don't ever start. They know they might not be able to stop.

On the other hand, if you've got the genes for schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, I don't think there's much you can do. If the parents are aware of the risk they can certainly try to minimize any trauma for their children, particularly beginning in adolescence to the early twenties, but you would do that anyway, and certain things are beyond your control. The only thing you could do then is get them to a good psychiatrist fast.

You know, a good friend of mine who is a psychiatrist said to me that after decades working with children he thinks that some kids would thrive and succeed no matter what life throws at them. They don't need good parenting. Other children can't be saved with the best parenting in the world. Most children are on the continuum somewhere in the middle.

As to intelligence, I do believe it's heritable, and I also believe there's not very much you're going to do to change it. You can do all the early learning programs you want, and you'll get some short term gains, but in the long run it is what it is. It runs contrary to the American myth, which is why you have schools trying to force academic achievement on everyone, but it doesn't work, and in my opinion it just causes unnecessary suffering. Far better to have trade schools the way they do in Europe. Not every child should be in a college prep program. It makes no sense.

I can see lots of heritable personality traits in my family as well. It's also easy to recognize genetically determined behavior in other people. I always try to be patient towards people who have an obvious genetic inclination towards rudeness (caugh, caugh Angela) or talking too much.

Last edited:
See:
http://labs.la.utexas.edu/tucker-dr...netics-of-Personality-Development-Chapter.pdf

It seems pretty clear to me that they're right, and 40-60% of personality is heritable.
I understood this on example of my 3 little kids, almost same age, decades ago. They have breathed same air, drunk same water, ate same food, had same parents and teachers, lived in same house, didn't have traumatic experiences, and yet they had their own distinct character traits, way of reacting and expressing themselves. And this if from day one they were born. Not mentioning their distinct phenotypes. 3 different human beings composed of mixture of my and my wife's, and our parents traits of personalities and looks.
It is much harder to notice for people without kids or with just one. It seems to them they they are shaping themselves or the kid the way they want... Right.
It became obvious to me how important is genetics, and how little we can do in shaping people characters, except through giving them the right knowledge to operate upon.

I couldn't believe my psychiatrist friend can't see it too, and subscribes to mantra of clean slate. She from all the people, who should be suited the best in recognising these phenomena. Anyway, she changed her mind, though not completely and with great difficulty, after she had two of her own kids.

I understood this on example of my 3 little kids, almost same age, decades ago. They have breathed same air, drunk same water, ate same food, had same parents and teachers, lived in same house, didn't have traumatic experiences, and yet they had their own distinct character traits, way of reacting and expressing themselves. And this if from day one they were born. Not mentioning their distinct phenotypes. 3 different human beings composed of mixture of my and my wife's, and our parents traits of personalities and looks.
It is much harder to notice for people without kids or with just one. It seems to them they they are shaping themselves or the kid the way they want... Right.
It became obvious to me how important is genetics, and how little we can do in shaping people characters, except through giving them the right knowledge to operate upon.

I couldn't believe my psychiatrist friend can't see it too, and subscribes to mantra of clean slate. She from all the people, who should be suited the best in recognising these phenomena. Anyway, she changed her mind, though not completely and with great difficulty, after she had two of her own kids.

Yes, having children changes your perspective on a lot of things. There's resistance to recognizing this because for so long the mantra has been that it's all about nurture and the ability to change yourself and your children. You can moderate certain things, imo, but you can't dramatically change them. I'm never going to suffer fools gladly, or tolerate dishonesty, and on and on, and that's the end of it.

One of the worst offenders in this regard is Malcolm Gladwell and his series of books on this subject.

He's just absolutely wrong on this and I can't believe people buy it. If people have absolutely no rhythm, the proverbial "two left feet" people, they can practice umpteen hours a day for years and they still won't be great dancers. In my opinion it's really unfair to feed people this kind of rubbish. Find your strengths and hone them instead. If they have no athletic ability, I don't care what month they were born in, they won't succeed.

Yes, having children changes your perspective on a lot of things. There's resistance to recognizing this because for so long the mantra has been that it's all about nurture and the ability to change yourself and your children. You can moderate certain things, imo, but you can't dramatically change them. I'm never going to suffer fools gladly, or tolerate dishonesty, and on and on, and that's the end of it.
One of the worst offenders in this regard is Malcolm Gladwell and his series of books on this subject.
He's just absolutely wrong on this and I can't believe people buy it. If people have absolutely no rhythm, the proverbial "two left feet" people, they can practice umpteen hours a day for years and they still won't be great dancers. In my opinion it's really unfair to feed people this kind of rubbish. Find your strengths and hone them instead. If they have no athletic ability, I don't care what month they were born in, they won't succeed.
Sadly, there's no shortage of "fools" across racial forums, including this one. Being a moderator here, you had to put up with some of the worst, it seems.

I personally believe a large percentage of members who belong to anthro forums have severe mental issues. I have issues myself, and they are well controlled (well, mostly). But some members are well enough down the psychiatric rabbit hole that they need intervention fast.

I really like this kind of threads... I suppose,- if I understand it well- that respond us to quests like to: -"Who we are?" or

-"From what we made of...?" Is it a kind of philosophical question?
How much I would like to participate further to the conversation but my english dont hold me sufficentlly enough to such deep matters, of course not to forget my ignorance about genetics!
So, if someone have the good will to explain me few things, with few words, up on some simplistic questions will honoured with a full "+1" helpfull rate, and my best wishes for a nice night sleep.

I will begin with some thoughts which I will express modestly:
-Are they kidding us ?!
40 to 60%?... That is science? -Brilliant!
I was close this time, Allthough I expect from the study to be more percise with like a 45 to 55% or some more detailed like 45.95 to 54.05 for example...tsk tsk.
It is quite diplomatic that 40 to 60, I mean why not to put-forward it to a middle average like: 50/50? (and that's my last offer. :LOL:)

The naivve questions
At that point I realise that what puzzled me most is the bipolarity of the incident. I mean: -If some percentages are for the inherited genetic qualities, what the rest of the total is? - They mean the enviroment generally or they have in mind or concern more others factors too?
An other thing which need clarification for me is: When we say: -personality, we mean: The character of the personality or something else? -What;s the difference between them?

The promise
I will try to read the study -translators are not helpfull usually- and never promise again. :grin:

Sadly, there's no shortage of "fools" across racial forums, including this one. Being a moderator here, you had to put up with some of the worst, it seems.

I personally believe a large percentage of members who belong to anthro forums have severe mental issues. I have issues myself, and they are well controlled (well, mostly). But some members are well enough down the psychiatric rabbit hole that they need intervention fast.

Well... There is no 100% healthy; person for the science of clinic psychology. So we are with different variances ... potentialy candidated ... as sick! :wary2:

What differented some of us is that we just didn't front -till now- the wild part of life, which could possibly ignite a negative symptom, but could also be the opposite . A bad experiance -sometimes- make you a better and stronger person...
There are many good proffesionals for different cases but good friends or a good family are the cornerstone of our health structure in all cases -The "good" ones and not the "toxic".., allthough some people as I mention have the stamina to survive even with their absence of supporters.
There is a lot of nice guys here and the place is nice. I am also "psychic" and works as an "Asylum" for me! :rolleyes:
Allthough I scored recently to a test, unusually low... :sad-2:

Great and mystery is life. There is no good answers enough, but there are usual valuable questions behind.

You will never feel alone here... (buahaha lol):LOL:

This thread has been viewed 10623 times.

Back