Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Polish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L617
mtDNA haplogroup
W6a
Living DNA has launched its Poland Project, I just joined (from Greater Poland):

https://www.livingdna.com/en-gb/one-family/research/poland

jx5iIHW.png

"Poland
Living DNA, working with the world's leading academics, scientists and genealogists are seeking your help to extend the level of genetic detail within Poland.

About this project
Living DNA, working with the world's leading academics, scientists and genealogists are seeking your help. Together we are looking to map the world's genetic ancestry to the finest scale possible, one where we identify patterns of DNA within countries. The academic team who were involved in the landmark publication “The fine-scale genetic structure of the British population” are now looking to extend the level of genetic detail throughout Poland. Our preliminary research indicates at least 11 areas in Poland may have distinct genetic differences."

Is Northern and Southern Mazovia a modern administrative division or the cutting of an historic Mazovia ? I always fought Mazovia was only center around the " lake lands ". Anyway, Mazovia and Masuria have to be predominantly Old Prussians genetically no ? Greater Poland and in some extend Silesia are the most likely landing of the historical Poles, so a proto-slavic signal should be predominant here.

What is that? Lubusz, Western Pomerania? They are crazy? They want to model post-war mixed population substructure in Western Poland?

What is Masuria according to them? It's Warmia and Elbląskie.

But of course I uploaded my genome, and parents. Why not, it's for free...

What is that? Lubusz, Western Pomerania? They are crazy? They want to model post-war mixed population substructure in Western Poland? (...)

Nope, of course not. You have to have all of your ancestors born in a given region:

To build a regional genetic breakdown of ancestry within countries, similar to ’The Peopling of the British Isles project’. This part of the project is looking for people with all four grandparents born within 80km (50miles) of each other.

I gave them info about birthplaces of my 4 grandparents and 8 great-grandparents.

I suggested to Maciamo that some changes in Polish regions are necessary, and made the following map with my proposed division of Poland into 15 regions (thanks mlukas and Rethel for your advice):

https://i.imgur.com/M68llFO.png

M68llFO.png

^^^ 15 regions in total for Poland:

- Pomerania
- Kashubia (or Pomerelia, if you prefer this name)
- Northern Poland*
- Oberland (Upper Prussia, Prusy Górne; west part of East Prussia)
- Warmia-Masuria**
- Sudovia-Podlachia (Sudovia is too small to be its own thing)
- Neumark (or East Brandenburg, if you prefer)
- Greater Poland
- Central Poland (or Sieradz-Leczyca if you prefer)
- Masovia (Mazovia)
- Lower Silesia (historically as far north as Crossen-Schwiebus)
- Upper Silesia (including Cieszyn, Syców & Namysłów regions)
- Polish Mountains
- Lesser Poland
- Red Ruthenia

*Includes 11 smaller regions: Kuyavia, Krajna, Dobrzyn Land, Chelmno Land, Tuchola Forests, Kociewie, Powisle, Lubawa Land, Kosznajderia, Free City Danzig (Gdańsk), Żuławy (Malbork-Elbląg area).

**Includes entire Masuria but only southern half of Warmia, with Polish-speaking Warmiaks.

This thread has been viewed 6514 times.

Back