My LivingDNA result

thanhnguyen

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Thank and I am from VietNam
I got the result few days ago and surprisingly I have 78% South China, 4.6 South Italia and 1.6% Japan and Korea.
Can you explain me why. My family has no family tree due to poor and war in VietNam.

Hello everyone, my name is Thank and I am from VietNam
I got the result few days ago and surprisingly I have 78% South China, 4.6 South Italia and 1.6% Japan and Korea.
Can you explain me why. My family has no family tree due to poor and war in VietNam.
Welcome to Eupedia Thank. It can mean that you had Italian ancestor 4-5 generations ago. What is your Y haplogroup?

I have seen the Living DNA results of a Japanese who was reported to have a few percents of Iberian and Anatolian ancestry. I think that this represents much older West Eurasian ancestry. In Southeast Asia and Japan it is more likely to represent ancient Middle Eastern ancestry, either linked to the diffusion of agriculture to India, or the spread of the Indo-European and/or Kura-Araxes cultures.

I explained here that, using various DNA admixture tools, it turned out that the Japanese had in average 1% of Indian/South Asian DNA, while the Cambodians and Thais had 10-15%, and the Vietnamese about 3%. All Southeast Asians have traces of European ancestry, that surely came with the Indians who brought Hinduism to the region in ancient and medieval times.

Living DNA's software is designed to recognise more recent ancestry and it does it by comparing the DNA segments with those of other populations in the database. So if you inherited some DNA segments from Middle Eastern ancestors who brought farming to the Mediterranean and India, and that thousands of years later Indians brought that DNA to Cambodia, and Cambodians eventually intermixed a bit with their Vietnamese neighbours, you will end up with a few percent of this Middle Eastern neolithic farmer DNA. In this case your segments were most similar to those of individuals from South Italy, which has mostly Middle Eastern ancestry if we go back to Neolithic times. In fact, South Italy is a mix of three waves of Middle Eastern immigrants (Neolithic farmers, Kura-Araxes copper age and Indo-European bronze age) that are also found in similar proportions in India (except that Indians have much more Dravidian DNA on top of that). So it's not that surprising that the software would misidentify it. However it is far more likely to have come from the Middle East via India, and not from Italy at all. The same is true for the South Iberian percentage found in that Japanese individual. It was also surely ancient Middle Eastern ancestry.

The iberian could be the portuguese who settled in japan from the 16th century and taught them (japanese) how to create tempura

Thank you for your comment.
Here is my Y haplogroup code : Group O and subclade is O-M117. I do a search for O-M117 and it says so general so I am not sure if I am Chinese or Vietnamese. My family name is very Vietnamese but the test says I'm 78% Chinese, I am very confused.
Asia (East) 91.4%
South China 78.2%
Southeast Asia 11.5%
Japan and Korea 1.6%
Europe 4.6%
South Italy 4.6%
Asia (South) 4%
Pashtun 2.8%
Indian subcontinent 1.1%

[FONT=&quot]South China

[/FONT]

I am not surprised by your results because at present there aren't a lot of reference samples for Southeast Asian populations and Vietnamese are genetically closer to South Chinese than to other Southeast Asians. So you 78.2% of South China should be considered Vietnamese. As I said before, Vietnamese people have on average 3% of South Asian. You have 4%, just a bit more. As a result it's normal that you have a bit more Middle Eastern too as most Indian people carry Middle Eastern admixture. In this case Middle Eastern is labelled South Italy.

Your maternal haplogroup is very ancient and came to Southeast Asia and China with the first Homo sapiens migration over 50,000 years ago.

Your Y-DNA (paternal) haplogroup is found in most of East Asia and is most common in Tibet, then Laos, North Vietnam and South China, but is also present in Korea and Japan.

This thread has been viewed 4857 times.

Back