Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
Most parents want their children to reach their academic potential, and they’re willing to go through great effort and expense to help them achieve that goal. In recent years, a number of researchers have offered evidence suggesting that two activities in particular are especially effective at improving children’s cognitive abilities. These are playing chess and learning a musical instrument. But before sending your kid to chess club or band camp, please read on.

Scientists understand that it can be difficult to assess the significance of a single study in isolation. They prefer waiting for other researchers to replicate experiments before accepting reported effects as valid. Of course, scientists are also human, and naturally they want to promote their pet theories. But collectively, scientists try to keep each other’s biases in check.

Journalists, in contrast, have less interest in scientific objectivity. Instead, they want to report on a hot story before they get scooped. And studies that show children getting a cognitive boost from learning chess or a musical instrument make for good copy. So parents, who get their information about the latest research on child-rearing from the mainstream media, can easily be duped by shoddy science.

In a recent article, British psychologists Giovanni Sala and Fernand Gobet report on two meta-analyses they recently performed. (A meta-analysis is a statistical procedure for comparing and contrasting the data from a large number of studies.)These researchers evaluated the existing evidence on whether playing chess or music boosts children’s cognitive abilities or academic performance.

Usually when researchers begin exploring a new topic, some studies will find the proposed effect and others won’t. Or, some studies will find a big effect, while others find only a little one. A meta-analysis can find the overall trends in massive amounts of data, and it can also identify whether each study is likely to have produced reliable results.

Studies have conclusively shown that children who play chess or a musical instrument score higher on intelligence tests than their peers who don’t. So, maybe there’s good reason to think these activities are cognitive boosters. But we have to keep in mind that these studies are correlational, and that correlation does not imply causation. It’s also possible that smart kids are simply attracted to intellectually demanding tasks like chess and music.

The idea that playing chess or a musical instrument can boost general intelligence or academic performance is based on a concept known as transfer of learning. This is the idea that skills learned in one area automatically carry over to another area. For example, educators long believed that the rigors of learning Latin would help students in their math courses. In 1901, noted psychologists Edward Thorndike and Robert Woodworth conducted a series of experiments on the transfer of learning that exposed this false belief for what it was.

What Thorndike and Woodworth found was that if two tasks are similar, some abilities can transfer from one task to the other. They called this near transfer. So, if you already know Latin, it will make learning Italian much easier, because the two are related languages. But far transfer between two unrelated fields simply doesn’t occur. For example, learning Latin doesn’t help you understand algebra or geometry.

Thorndike and Woodworth thought they’d laid the mistaken notion of far transfer to rest. But alas, hope springs eternal. The idea that one task can train your brain to make you smarter overall is just too appealing to give up. And so Sala and Gobet conducted their meta-analyses to determine whether Thorndike and Woodworth had dismissed the idea of far transfer too soon.

The first meta-analysis examined a wide range of studies reporting on whether music instruction impacts overall academic performance. What Sala and Gobet found was that the size of the effect decreased as the experiment became more tightly controlled. In other words, researchers who used slipshod methods generally found big boosts in academic performance, whereas those who used stringent procedures found little or no academic advantage to learning a musical instrument. A second meta-analysis of studies looking at chess and school performance yielded similar results.

Sala and Gobet concluded that neither chess nor music is a cognitive booster, as has often been claimed. They also cite other studies that have likewise found no increase in general cognitive abilities for people who play video games, in spite of recent reports in the press to the contrary.

Along these lines, Sala and Gobet point out that companies such as Posit Science, Cogmed, and Lumosity have built up a multi-billion-dollar industry selling on-line video games that supposedly boost the cognitive abilities of those who play them. Although these companies claim scientific evidence supporting the value of their products, rigorously conducted meta-analyses such as those reported here lend little support for their assertions.

More than a century after Thorndike and Woodworth reported their seminal studies on the transfer of learning, claims of brain boosters still abound. However, this most recent analysis of the data merely confirms what psychologists have already known for more than a century, namely that far transfer simply doesn't occur. Playing video games doesn’t boost your memory or attention outside of the game. And making children play chess or music doesn’t make them smarter.

If your child shows an interest in chess or music—or soccer or computers or any other cognitively demanding pursuit—by all means encourage it. These are all engaging activities worth pursuing in their own right. But don’t foist these “brain boosting” tasks upon them. If you do, your child is more likely to develop a general dislike for learning, in a sense “busting” their brains instead of “boosting” them.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...ic-and-chess-do-not-enhance-cognitive-ability

Interesting article, not just about music and chess; but all supposed "brain boosting" activities.

Interesting article, not just about music and chess; but all supposed "brain boosting" activities.

This is part of a larger narrative where many "social science" studies are being subjected to mega-analysis of the topic and found to be incorrect. It's a bit of a scandal. Nutrition "science" is also getting the same treatment. It's about time.

It's also part of a narrative spun by people who want to believe and want everyone to believe that you can drastically alter certain traits like intelligence, whereas it's becoming increasingly clear that you can't.

In a way it was a very "American" way of looking at human personality. Everyone is supposed to be not only equal in terms of political rights, but in terms of "traits". It's just not true.

Not that I didn't fall for this when I had babies, because I did. :) It was all good, though, at least in terms of my son, as he plays three instruments: piano, trumpet, and guitar. My daughter took piano for years, but it wasn't a passion, so she let it go, but she does sing in a choir. He, the "musical" one, sounds like a frog croaking. He can play by ear, but he can't make his vocal chords reproduce the notes he hears. That's the way it goes.

This is part of a larger narrative where many "social science" studies are being subjected to mega-analysis of the topic and found to be incorrect. It's a bit of a scandal. Nutrition "science" is also getting the same treatment. It's about time.

It's also part of a narrative spun by people who want to believe and want everyone to believe that you can drastically alter certain traits like intelligence, whereas it's becoming increasingly clear that you can't.

In a way it was a very "American" way of looking at human personality. Everyone is supposed to be not only equal in terms of political rights, but in terms of "traits". It's just not true.

Not that I didn't fall for this when I had babies, because I did. :) It was all good, though, at least in terms of my son, as he plays three instruments: piano, trumpet, and guitar. My daughter took piano for years, but it wasn't a passion, so she let it go, but she does sing in a choir. He, the "musical" one, sounds like a frog croaking. He can play by ear, but he can't make his vocal chords reproduce the notes he hears. That's the way it goes.

I agree, this is also the problem with education, and college. Instead of higher education being a place to hone the talents of people who are capable, the focus is too much on forcing everyone to succeed, when some people are just not capable of it. In the end, it lowers the quality of education. I think everyone should be given a chance, but they shouldn't expect everyone to become an honor student. Grade inflation is ruining colleges, like the way it ruined high school. It's become just another revolving door, where they hand out degrees like candy. College should be a place to distinguish yourself. Because of this employers now demand more credentials, because they're aware of the fact many people graduate without a full education. In turn this forces more people to take out more loans, and become more beholden to student loan debt.

Well, if they tested for math skills then I agree, but definitely chess will teach strategy skills. Music will tax memory. The last time I checked they are both part of intelligence. Computer games are more versatile in training grey matter, as memory, strategy, prediction, anticipation, recognition, connection, cooperation, deduction, and reflexes. Will computer game help your math skills? Probably not, but surely help our cognitive skills in general.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 5623 times.

Back