PDA

View Full Version : Is modern liberalism killing Halloween?

Angela
29-10-17, 19:11
Is nothing sacred anymore? :)

I just noticed this opinion piece by Razib Khan on a note he received from the school his children attend?

http://www.razib.com/wordpress/

OK, no weapons is a no-brainer.

However, where is the common sense in the no facsimile of a weapon rule? No kid should be part of the ghost busters' team? What about a light saber? You can't be a knight either, I guess, or a pirate, or at least not with a sword. No caveman with a club, no cowboys with pistols on their hips and on and on...

No masks? That's part of the fun of Halloween, for goodness sakes'. Anyone really think there are a lot of eight year old terrorists on watch lists in the U.S. who need to wear a mask?

The "no cultural appropriation" nonsense really irritates me. So, my daughter (really I as the responsible party) was doing something inappropriate by dressing up as Jasmine and Pocahontas? Those were her favorite Disney characters. If anything, we were celebrating them.

Obviously, no one should be dressing up as "Sambo". That's what I meant about common sense.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with the bright idea that little girls shouldn't dress up as Disney princesses because it encourages non-existent gender differences. I have news for these people: the science is clear that there are indeed ingrained gender differences, like it or not. I've known parents who ban all toy weapons in their house. It doesn't work. If you don't let little boys have a light saber they'll make one out of a stick. You have to teach responsibility, and sensitivity, not pretend that the physical aggression isn't there.

There is also a lack of understanding, imo, that the "scary" costumes and mythology serve a psychological purpose. It's a way of "domesticating" very real, perhaps ingrained fears.

When I came to this country one of my favorite things was going to the Saturday matinees, which in our small town served a double bill of horror movies, and where kids got a very reduced price. :) I assure you that I can't think of anyone less physically aggressive or sociopathic or psychopathic than I am. If some people really have a pathology they don't need those movies, and if they don't, the movies won't harm them. I still like a good scare, although not the gory movies like the Friday the 13th ones.

I'm just grateful I don't have to raise young children now; I'd be in the principal's and School Board's office all the time.

davef
29-10-17, 19:24
Yeah and I bet if a kid gets bored in class and is caught doodling a picture of a gun in his notebook, there will soon be a cop car in the parking lot.

davef
29-10-17, 20:21
TBH I think all these rules and regulations are part of the reasons why kids are suffering various mental health issues at alarming rates, I couldn't imagine growing up with all of these fun spoiling rules, not to mention having to constantly think my words or actions through out of fear of saying something that may be interpreted as "racist" or "violent" and receiving detention.

Angela
29-10-17, 20:44
Pretty soon people are only going to be able to dress up as vegetables or inanimate objects. :)

These are the favorite costumes this year, for both children and adults. I guess people in most of the country are resisting this kind of control:

Most popular costumes for children:
1. Action/superhero
2. Batman character
3. Princess
4. Animal (cat, dog, monkey)
5. Spider-Man
6. Star Wars character
7. Witch
8. Marvel Superhero (excluding Spider-Man)
9. Pirate
10. Disney Princess
Most popular costumes for adults:
1. Witch
2. Batman character (Batman, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, etc.)
3. Animal (cat, dog, etc.)
4. Pirate
5. Marvel Superhero (Spider-Man, Captain America, etc.)
6. Vampire
7. Zombie
8. DC Superhero (excluding Batman and Wonder Woman)
9. Star Wars character
10. Slasher movie villain
11. Wonder Woman

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/09/21/2017-most-popular-halloween-costumes-kids-and-adults/688143001/

In the interests of full disclosure, my club would often have a Halloween dinner dance. We've gone as Frankenstein and his bride, Dracula and his victim (I did a white theatrical make up for my face, and very realistic bite marks and blood droplets on my neck with a special kit), a 1920s gangster and his moll, The Phantom couple, Bonnie and Clyde, Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, complete with "blood" on my hands, witch and warlock etc. I also went as Elvira once. Freaked out some people who thought they knew me! All great fun: a lot of people still like to play dress up.

davef
29-10-17, 21:33
Does anyone else notice how ironically racist it is to disallow someone from dressing up as someone else of a different background? Yes, wearing black face is taking it far, but if a white child wants to go as Bruce Lee, what's the issue? Again, it's only an issue if he attempts to modify his eyes to "look Chinese".

LeBrok
30-10-17, 00:05
Simply, schools are getting more educated (pun intended), how to avoid problems, like parents complaining, kids playing wars and running like crazy, generally more work and potential liability lawsuits. Some idea as no running and rubber playgrounds in school.

I personally never understood the infatuation with gor, dead people and scaring each other. Well, for the same reasons I don't watch horror movies.

I don't mind costume parties though. :)

Angela
30-10-17, 00:10
I had Halloween costumes of the old sort at my school, both my children had them at their schools, from kindergarten through high school in their cases, and there was no "war", no mayhem, no nothing. It just didn't happen.

Plus, a blonde haired Caucasian little girl wearing a Jasmine costume is not going to cause anything except oohs and ahs at how cute she looks, and the same goes for a little boy who is dressed up like a Ghost Buster or a Jedi Knight. To my knowledge none of the parents ever complained about anything like this.

Sorry, it won't wash, imo. This is all just PC run amok. There's absolutely no common sense involved.

They don't notice any difference in color or race but let's force it on them? Let's make them see group identity before individuals? Not my kids.

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/image_0c460f6e.jpeg

http://jp11.r0tt.com/l_010b4780-633f-11e2-85ee-ef8d25600011.jpg

davef
30-10-17, 00:30
I had Halloween costumes of the old sort at my school, both my children had them at their schools, from kindergarten through high school in their cases, and there was no "war", no mayhem, no nothing. It just didn't happen.

Plus, a blonde haired Caucasian little girl wearing a Jasmine costume is not going to cause anything except oohs and ahs at how cute she looks, and the same goes for a little boy who is dressed up like a Ghost Buster or a Jedi Knight. To my knowledge none of the parents ever complained about anything like this.

Sorry, it won't wash, imo. This is all just PC run amok. There's absolutely no common sense involved.
Yeah and i used to play a ton of violent games, I loved squirt guns and other toy guns, and swinging toy swords around. Most (save for the select few who were born sick) gamers who get enjoyment out of shooting a virtual character in a video game would never shoot an actual, innocent person in real life bc obviously who wants that on your conscience plus the legal consequences? I killed enough virtual characters throughout my gaming history to win the envy of genghis khan and I don't regret it one bit.

Wheal
30-10-17, 03:48
I love Halloween, I have almost as many decorations for Halloween as I do for Christmas. I have 2nd generations coming to my house and telling me they don't live here but remember how fun (and scary) my front yard was. With little ones, I sit down with them and show them how the animated characters work and let them see under the cloth that they are all pretend.

I also think it's wrong to force racism on a child. When I was young, I always wanted to be an 'Indian Princess' (Amerind) and would braid my hair and wear a feather. All of my brothers and sisters and I would cheer for the Indians when we watched those shows. And Tonto... he was the coolest ever.

A. Papadimitriou
30-10-17, 04:01
I don't believe kids should watch 'horror movies'. I also don't believe scary costumes serve any purpose. Many cultures do not have similar traditions.

Only the part about 'representing other ethnicities' would annoy me.

Concerning toy weapons I personally think that males learn to prefer toys for males and vice versa. This is my personal experience at least.

I had for example 'Action Man' action figures but I liked Barbie dolls equally or more and I also knew what was socially expected, so I wouldn't ask my parents buy me a toy 'for females'.

Furthermore, gender differences are much less prominent before puberty.

Jovialis
30-10-17, 04:31
I went out with friends to a few clubs over the weekend, and I was surprised they didn't allow masks either. We had to leave our weapons at the door. Which I guess is understandable, since some knuckle-heads may probably start beating each other with them.

Growing up, Halloween was awesome, I feel bad for kids these days. I especially liked going to school dressed up, and even won a contest in kindergarten. I was a skeleton, which worked well, since I was a lanky-skinny kid.

bicicleur
30-10-17, 16:12
https://images1.persgroep.net/rcs/m4zVkabGDFo-GHmFyhfOPWGy8nc/diocontent/114354108/_fitwidth/763?appId=2dc96dd3f167e919913d808324cbfeb2&quality=0.8

these guys were a few days early for halloween
any they were criticised for being racest toward black and asian people

these political correct people have lost all credibility

so do these guys on the pics, they removed the pics from the internet because of the critics

Sile
31-10-17, 18:08
In Australia , we had halloween last night and I have noticed that the Americanised version of it seems to be fading here year after year and a more Irish/gaelic/celtic form ( which is the original halloween ) is gaining in strength. Costumes are a mix of vampiric, gothic, forest elves, nature etc themes

Gaelic halloween represents the end of harvest and the beginning of winter in Europe. In Australia we are stuck between 2 versions.

homunculus
31-10-17, 18:50
As a moderate leftist and a liberal I consider the postmodern "progressivism" to be absolutely cancerous.

noman
31-10-17, 19:09
It's good to be brown. :grin: People can actually lose their mind over an atom.
Yes, liberalism is actually killing the society.

davef
31-10-17, 19:18
As a moderate leftist and a liberal I consider the postmodern "progressivism" to be absolutely cancerous.
I used to think I was very liberal until more and more news items/articles popped up such as the topic of this thread. I know racism isn't a good thing, but what people call racist these days baffles me, such as dressing as someone not of your own background.

And I doubt most people would feel offended seeing a non-middle eastern girl dressed as Jasmine.

Angela
31-10-17, 19:27
For anyone coming to New York who likes horror themed things, there's the Jekyl and Hyde Restaurant for "haunted dining". Those kinds of restaurants are not my thing, but my daughter went there for one of her "teen" birthdays and really liked it.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x89c2585488ece671%3A0x6a6b02420feb010f!2m22 !2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2! 1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e 115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Flh%2Fsr edir%3Funame%3D101719159997963584652%26id%3D611456 2154802043650%26target%3DPHOTO!5sjekyll%20and%20hy de%20nyc%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e3!2s-LZumphZ6X2M%2FVNtJ4ioF2wI%2FAAAAAAAAABA%2F9PKgspWA wsMQSjQctdfFqMfrac-e-ZaPACJkC&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiahLP5qJvXAhXE7CYKHXyyCfUQoioIkgEwDg

For trick or treating, anyway, parents seem to be ignoring it.

http://107jamz.com/files/2015/10/halloween-trick-treat-kids-reno-Getty-Images.jpg
https://www.longislandpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/shutterstock_314268092.jpg

My goodness, don't they look traumatized!

http://calabashtown.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Trunk-or-Treat-in-the-Park-Calabash-NC.jpg
Adult parties the week-end before are still a big thing, apparently, and some of the costumes are outrageously good.
http://latinbayarea.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/2016-latino-halloween-parties-in-bay-area-2.jpg

@Homunculous,
It just infuriates people and drives them in the other direction politically because it's so stupid. The whole snowflake college scene with their "triggers" and their refusal to allow anyone to express an opposite opinion is just the worst. There's a reason why donations to colleges and universities are down.

Promenade
31-10-17, 22:08
For anyone coming to New York who likes horror themed things, there's the Jekyl and Hyde Restaurant for "haunted dining". Those kinds of restaurants are not my thing, but my daughter went there for one of her "teen" birthdays and really liked it.
Ahaha the Jekyl and Hyde Restaurant, awful food but an interesting experience

msmajoribanks
01-11-17, 00:35

Agreed, and contrary to what I think "liberalism" actually is.

Jovialis
01-11-17, 00:42
Modern liberalism has ruined a lot more than halloween, it's ruining the country.

Yetos
01-11-17, 22:54
In Australia , we had halloween last night and I have noticed that the Americanised version of it seems to be fading here year after year and a more Irish/gaelic/celtic form ( which is the original halloween ) is gaining in strength. Costumes are a mix of vampiric, gothic, forest elves, nature etc themes

Gaelic halloween represents the end of harvest and the beginning of winter in Europe. In Australia we are stuck between 2 versions.

try the old Greek Poseidon's month, or saint Nicolaos version,
but not the modern Saint Basileios its too christian.

Yetos
01-11-17, 23:21
It is the only 'season' that is tottaly unknown to me,
and generally in Greek world and East,

I think it is in wrong time,. tottaly wrong time,

anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOAl0enE7kI

Fire Haired14
01-11-17, 23:41
I don't have time to read all the posts. I just want to say I hope you guys realize there are people who wear racist or in other ways offensive customes and also that usually a new fad in politics has little effect on how people actually live.

The No toy guns thing was kind of a big deal when I was little. I always thought it was ridiculous. Keep young teenagers away from bad peers, that's how you prevent your kids' from becoming a trouble child.

SoloWarrior
02-11-17, 02:15
What I see as the real liberal folly is the fourth "rule". The rest - no guns, etc. - has been around for a while or just common sense.

But how exactly do you "define" that particular rule - no costume representing an ethnicity that isn't your own? And that's a theme [lots of liberal "racism" claims just breeds ignorance, dislike, and by extension more racism] in a lot of liberal BS about ethnicity, culture, etc. Particularly nowadays when people can be mixed.

LeBrok
02-11-17, 03:59
I don't mind ethnical costumes as long as they are not wore to ridicule and make fun of ethnicities. This should be the bottom line.

Angela
02-11-17, 04:40
I don't mind ethnical costumes as long as they are not wore to ridicule and make fun of ethnicities. This should be the bottom line.

Clearly that would be unacceptable. That's what I meant by applying some common sense.

@SoloWarrior,
Oh well, so I guess little Luke Skywalker has to leave his light saber home and just take it trick or treating, unless of course the behavior police prohibit that too.

How about little Ghost Buster? :)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/05/5f/53/055f530a41b77eb4de7982c16b001313.jpg

http://aws-cdn-01.shemazing.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/1499783120_xxx.jpg

Salento
02-11-17, 06:09
Modern Liberals are out of touch with the pulse of the Nation. They constantly choose to fight the wrong battles.
And by the way, I’m not even sure they are real Liberals. They Preach Tolerance, but somehow They’ve become Intolerants.
What happen to “Let’s Agree to Disagree”? They’re not Interested in Dialogue anymore.
Too Bad!

davef
02-11-17, 07:17
Clearly that would be unacceptable. That's what I meant by applying some common sense.
@SoloWarrior,
Oh well, so I guess little Luke Skywalker has to leave his light saber home and just take it trick or treating, unless of course the behavior police prohibit that too.
Angela, at this rate we're going to add more words to the "cuss word" pile...just wait for words such as "gun" "sword" and eventually "laser gun" and "
light saber " to be words that could result in after school detention or suspension (or worse and even more pathetic-jail time. For a six year old. Putting a six year old in cuffs is something only the most sociopathic freak can possibly do, but it happens and any cop who would arrest a small child is a pathetic piece of crap low life ).
Watch out! According to the DSMV, a child engaging in toy light saber related play is statistically 5x as likely to commit light saber related crimes (including murder) at a later age, beginning as early as late adolescence.
I swear, any teacher who would disallow a freaking (I seriously want to use the more vulgar version of freaking lol) light saber is more boring and bland than a glass of water and stiffer than a baseball bat.

IronSide
02-11-17, 12:29
It's good to be brown. :grin: People can actually lose their mind over an atom.
Yes, liberalism is actually killing the society.

There is no brown race :smile: so please don't invent one. White and Black is trouble enough, race is more than skin color.

SoloWarrior
02-11-17, 14:26
@SoloWarrior,

As the sayings go you'd have to be either blind as a bat or thick as a brick to confuse a lightsaber or a ghostbuster's outfit for a legitimate weapon. Either stupid or paranoid people would make that mistake.

The thing is, is Rhan's list didn't say Ghostbusters or Star Wars did it? It said guns and other weapon-like devices. There have been "toy" guns, after all, brought into schools. Hence why I said a lot of the list is simple common sense.

davef
02-11-17, 17:03
As the sayings go you'd have to be either blind as a bat or thick as a brick to confuse a lightsaber or a ghostbuster's outfit for a legitimate weapon. Either stupid or paranoid people would make that mistake.

The thing is, is Rhan's list didn't say Ghostbusters or Star Wars did it? It said guns and other weapon-like devices. There have been "toy" guns, after all, brought into schools. Hence why I said a lot of the list is simple common sense.

Oh wait, you're referring to the super realistic ones like the old Atari gaming rifle?

IronSide
02-11-17, 20:30
Cryptic, confusing, and awe inspiring ... Yetos the Prophet of the Greeks.

wicket
02-11-17, 21:35
Killed the thread just as I was about to post some truly profound recollections of Halloween In the United States during the 1950's.

Angela
02-11-17, 22:05
Killed the thread just as I was about to post some truly profound recollections of Halloween In the United States during the 1950's.

I'd very much like to hear your recollections.

Yetos, your post is totally incomprehensible. I'm going to remove it.

@SoloWarrior,
I assure you that light sabers are prohibited as "weapons" in certain school districts. As you said, they must be blind as bats and thick as bricks. The intellectual caliber of teachers today and the bunk they've been taught in college is the cause of the latter.

davef
02-11-17, 22:31
I'd very much like to hear your recollections.

Yetos, your post is totally incomprehensible. I'm going to remove it.

@SoloWarrior,
I assure you that light sabers are prohibited as "weapons" in certain school districts. As you said, they must be blind as bats and thick as bricks. The intellectual caliber of teachers today and the bunk they've been taught in college is the cause of the latter.

Even in the absence of toy weapons or the means to create something that can be swung around, a kid can always resort to using an imaginary one, can we prohibit imaginary play and force them to be robots?

And a violent kid doesn't need a toy lightsaber to whack someone with a hard object, there's plenty of hard covered textbooks and rulers available at his convenience.

wicket
03-11-17, 18:38
I enjoyed many Halloweens during the 1950's in a racially mixed suburban community adjoining Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The night before Halloween was called Mischief Night which was a sort of Saturnalia during which acts of minor vandalism and harassment were permitted. I suspect Mischief night had evolved out of the "Trick" aspect of "Trick or Treat" where treats were formerly extorted under the threat of retribution. Stories circulated of broken glass, sewing needles, and razor blades inserted into Halloween treats; behavior generally attributed to grumpy elderly people. We firmly believed that an elderly witch-like woman in a neighboring community had heated pennies red-hot in a skillet and scattered them on the pavement for the children so that they would burn their fingers picking them up.
Girls were stuck as either princesses or witches, boys had a wider range of expression. Blacks were not as well costumed as whites, and tended to continue going out into their early teens, often with no more costume than an inexpensive cloth mask. Toy weapons were commonly carried, and younger kids, if they weren't traveling as a group, got robbed by older kids.

Angela
03-11-17, 18:58
^^Well, not a very pleasant experience, imo.

I never had much "Halloween" experience when I was a child. My experience of it is mostly as a mother, and like me, most mothers in my experience go with their young children when they're trick or treating, at least until they're about ten or so. Yes, there were the middle schoolers or early high schoolers who put shaving cream on the street or bushes, and sometimes even on windows once it got dark. Later, it was silly string. My neighbors, like me, just saw it as, indeed, "mischief".

Obviously, anything dangerous, or actual destruction of property should be dealt with seriously, but imo there's way too much criminalization today of behavior by boys that in prior times was dealt with by a talk with the parents or at most a serious session with the local police officer. I personally just took a hose and rinsed away the shaving cream.

Is every child who takes an apple from a neighbor's tree to be arrested for theft? Are boys who get into a scuffle supposed to be arrested for physical assault? People are losing their common sense, imo.

davef
03-11-17, 19:15
^^ yeah could you imagine a cop car with strobe lights on in front of someone's home where a group of detectives are investigating a piece of silly string on one of its windows?

And assuming criminal records stay permanent, i think some cops need to imagine how much more difficult life would be if someone is having difficulty finding employment due to failing criminal background checks....all because of that little scuffle he had in Ms. Houtman's second grade classroom over a Pokémon card.

Ziober
27-11-17, 18:44
In SpaIN some years ago we had had celebrated "difuntos" a familiar respectful and serious hollyday in wich people visit their ancestors tombs. But few years ago Halloween has been implanted as more common. So I think it is the oposite. Neo-liberalism bet for Halloween

Ziober
27-11-17, 18:46
I have view this as something positive if Haloween develops imagination...
But don't forgetting the true meaning.