R1b-M153 in Non-Basques

M153Celt

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-DF27 M153
mtDNA haplogroup
K1a-T195C!
Hello, I am a long time lurker here and have recently received my Big Y results from FTDNA and I'm really surprised to be part of DF27-M153, the Basque marker. My father is adopted, with no information on his biological father. Though, as far as I know, or at least thought, most of my ancestors come from the British Isles (like most Americans). My autosomal results from 23 and Me came back as 50% British and Irish and 22% NW European, typical for mixed Irish-English etc., and my German ancestry shows up with a bit of French & German. The only outliers that I had brushed off were 10% Southern European and some trace frequencies of others, including 0.4% Iberian. So autosomally, I don't really see any chance of Basque ancestry unless it's really old.

So I'm wondering if M153 shows up from time to time outside of the Basques, specifically in the British Isles. They tend to be oversampled, so if it does show up anywhere else, I'd bet it be there.

Hey M153Celt, did you ever receive a reply to your question in respect of M153 in non-Basques? Did you test positive for M153? I am M153 as well. As far as I know, M153 has only been found in Basques and Gascons.

This thread has been viewed 5996 times.

Back