I1a3_Young

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Basically British
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1 Z63*
mtDNA haplogroup
H5b1
I chose some main branch lines according to the FTDNA SNP map. This is set by users so is subject to test area biases, etc.

Z63
Z63 Dec 17.jpg

Combination Z58, Z60, Z140 as marked:
Z140 Dec 17.jpg

L22
L22 Dec 17.PNG

Is there anything that Maciamo needs to make maps of the main I1 branches? He has produced some excellent maps on sub groups of G and J in Europe.

I am R-Z43 where possible to find a map

Hi I1a3 Young, nice maps. How do you establish branch location if there several kit #s in different geographic locations? Maybe I am not interpreting main branch line correctly. For example, what is the location you consider for ZS1823 and S2097 on Z63+?

Last edited:
GermanI1.jpg

From the German FTDNA project, made in 2013 by Robert Gabel.

Z58 doubling Z63 and Z63 still behind L22.

Hi I1a3 Young, nice maps. How do you establish branch location if there several kit #s in different geographic locations? Maybe I am not interpreting main branch line correctly. For example, what is the location you consider for ZS1823 and S2097 on Z63+?

I tried inputting those SNP into the FTDNA system and wasn't getting location date for either. On www.yfull.com S2097 has one in Germany, one in Italy (Palermo), and one in North Carolina, US.

Here is M253:

M253 snip.jpg

Z138 and Z140
Z138Z140.jpg

These were made with the FamilyTreeDNA SNP mapping tool correct? I can't seem to make that tool work at all on any device.

Anyway, the maps are certainly interesting, and hopefully with the potential for more ancient I1 results we could really develop some interesting maps including these ancient samples.

I am R-Z43 where possible to find a map
Hi Roberto1960, if you have tested with Family Tree DNA website, you can try there. Some groups there have very good mapping, accessible by the public.

Is there a way to add yourself to the SNP map? how do those blots get on there?

Is there a way to add yourself to the SNP map? how do those blots get on there?

Good question. My red blot for my subclade does not appear on the FTDNA maps even though I’ve made my info accessible to the public in the settings menu.

Good question. My red blot for my subclade does not appear on the FTDNA maps even though I’ve made my info accessible to the public in the settings menu.

Yea. you should be able to at least add a marker on the map for your SNP. Unless its only big y tested or research paper data. Doesnt give an accurate view though.

I'm not exactly sure how they make the dots. I thought each dot was not one person but a cluster centered there

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm not exactly sure how they make the dots. I thought each dot was not one person but a cluster centered there

I think each dot represents one person because I know of two people in my subclade that match the locations perfectly. Maybe they only apply to purchasers of Big Y though?

I think each dot represents one person because I know of two people in my subclade that match the locations perfectly. Maybe they only apply to purchasers of Big Y though?
I think it is terminal tested SNPs, otherwise there would not be so many Z63. There are only a few Z63* kits with BigY.

I don't really know how it works but if each dot is a person it can be tested by moving their location and running the map again.

Maybe they plot individuals but many individuals in a small area get rolled into one dot?

I think it is terminal tested SNPs, otherwise there would not be so many Z63. There are only a few Z63* kits with BigY.

I don't really know how it works but if each dot is a person it can be tested by moving their location and running the map again.

Maybe they plot individuals but many individuals in a small area get rolled into one dot?

I think the only way to know your true terminal subclade is to have a father or brother do Big Y with you. Am I correct to assume that FTDNA will create a new branch if two or more people share an snp?

I'm not certain how FTDNA determines new branches. I should not have used the word terminal before. I think the map goes by furthest tested SNP. Many might test only M253 or Z63 for example but not order further SNP packs or BigY.

I'm not certain how FTDNA determines new branches. I should not have used the word terminal before. I think the map goes by furthest tested SNP. Many might test only M253 or Z63 for example but not order further SNP packs or BigY.

I think it might be awhile before the younger branches fill out on the tree because i think many people don’t want to dish out the money for Big Y. At least that was the case with me. I could rationalize spending $39 to take an educated guess with a certain snp test instead of dishing out $395 for certainty.

Yes, there is clustering function on FTDNA graphs. You can play with cluster size number on the graphs, but higher accuracy seems to be disabled. I still can't get any better graphs than what was displayed by I1a3 Young above.

I see. would be neat to provide the option for those tested with either bigy or even FGC to add a dot to the map. Or if Yfull offered maps based upon their sample data. That would be pretty neat.

This thread has been viewed 8906 times.

Back