Finland To Sequence 10% (500,000) Of Its Population In 6 Years

Johane Derite

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
mtDNA haplogroup
U1a1a
LINK: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-12/uoh-fag121917.php

"[FONT=&quot]The FinnGen study plans to analyse up to 500 000 unique blood samples collected by a nation-wide network of Finnish biobanks. The goal is to deepen our understanding about the origins of diseases and their treatment. The project is expected to continue for six years, with a current budget of €59M."[/FONT]

Imagine if the EU would do this for 10% of every European ethnicity. The data that could be produced for health and ancestry information would be priceless.

Very interesting, I wish they would do this in more countries around the world. There should be charities that would help facilitate this in other countries; I'd contribute. It would probably be a better means of helping people in the 3rd-world. But also expand our knowledge of genetics.

Very interesting, I wish they would do this in more countries around the world. There should be charities that would help facilitate this in other countries; I'd contribute. It would probably be a better means of helping people in the 3rd-world. But also expand our knowledge of genetics.

If Governments test the DNA from volunteers, or deceased people, I’m OK with it.
Unfair situations can arise if the RawData is shared by some of this Governments to a variety of entities to deny or force services.
(Health Care, Forced Abortion, Privileges or Abuses for Cast or racial hierarchy, ......) [emoji846]

All rich countries should embark on sequencing genome of all population soon. This would kickstart preventive medicine and understanding of diseases. The benefits would be fewer sick people, billions of savings in just few years, avoiding shortage of doctors and cost overrun of healthcare, improving quality of life for millions of people, less taxes, etc.

All rich countries should embark on sequencing genome of all population soon. This would kickstart preventive medicine and understanding of diseases. The benefits would be fewer sick people, billions of savings in just few years, avoiding shortage of doctors and cost overrun of healthcare, improving quality of life for millions of people, less taxes, etc.

this is for sure true that large data-sets and extensive research based on will always be for positive out comes, yet in the end it will also always be about money after all it is an industry(pharma) and i think in that manner and magnitude (collecting data/blood) has been going on for some time in a lot of places just not as such published/used in papers of population genetics; just one example yet a bit of an insight behind the scenes;
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-in-search-for-sardinian-centenarians-secrets

this is for sure true that large data-sets and extensive research based on will always be for positive out comes, yet in the end it will also always be about money after all it is an industry(pharma) and i think in that manner and magnitude (collecting data/blood) has been going on for some time in a lot of places just not as such published/used in papers of population genetics; just one example yet a bit of an insight behind the scenes;
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-in-search-for-sardinian-centenarians-secrets
If you mean, it puts you outside of monetary benefits? You will have a better health and they will have more stinking money. What is your problem? It should be a sweet deal for you, no? If you are in lower 50% of income, it would't cost you a dime!

If you mean, it puts you outside of monetary benefits? You will have a better health and they will have more stinking money. What is your problem? It should be a sweet deal for you, no? If you are in lower 50% of income, it would't cost you a dime!

sounds great, me not paying a dime and theyll having more 'stinking' money is for sure the sweetest deal for all; so no problems at all, if that is how it adds up (more data/more research = less industry more free charity) than sign me up;

This thread has been viewed 4228 times.

Back