Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L1029>Y133379
mtDNA haplogroup
H11a2b*
Hi all,

So I finally received my full genomes file. I haven't been able to reach Michal. However, the admins at Albanian Bloodlines were able to look over my interpretation file. I am positive for L1029 but do not share any of the downstream SNPs on Yfull. So I am predicted to fall under L1029*. TMRCA seems to be 2000ybp, if I am reading correctly. I may or may not share a SNP with the German or Norwegian sample. I will have to wait until I receive my BAM file monday, to upload to Yfull to see exactly how it splits. I have 26 unique SNPs. Only one of which I share with 2 kits on FullGenomes. Idk their country of origin, but TMCA between us was 2,340 years(common ancestor approximately 340 BC).

I know L1029 is considered typically Slavic. But the Slavic samples seem to belong more downstream under L1029. If the TMRCA is 2000ypb. How could it have arrived in Albania?

The oldest sample is from Cagliari, Sardinia. The only way it could have arrived there is Vandals, Goths, Byzantines, unless it was a later migration from the Italian mainland of assimilated Arbereshe/Greeks via assimilated Avars/Sklaveni in the Balkans.

https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L1029/

L1029.jpg

Please only professional responses. I don't need any Apricity like responses from self designated scientists.

What about your positive L388 result, how does it show on your Full genome file. If positive, you may split some branch and form a new one.

What about your positive L388 result, how does it show on your Full genome file. If positive, you may split some branch and form a new one.

I was negative all downstream. That was just an ancestry autosomal prediction. Full Genomes Yelite confirmed me to be L1029* TMRCA 2000ypb(2200-2400ypb by Michals estimates). 26 private SNPs. Closest matches TMRCA 2350ypb. My closest match is still a YSEQ Albanian from Gostivar, 1000ypb. I am suspected to form my own cluster at the top of L1029* or perhaps(depending if I share any SNPs) branch with either of the L1029* samples. Considering I am negative for all downstream SNPs, and the earlier TMRCA, I suspect any number of scenarios between Slavic Antes Roman Mercenaries, early slavic farmers in Greece prior to the great migration, or even Varangians, Goths and Bastarnae remain posibilities. I also know German forces were stationed in Diber, Albania in 900AD. Perhaps one was an East German. Any number of possibilities. I suppose I am at a loss until more people from my branch pop up.

I don't know how it is with FullGenome, but with YFULL you have the option to see the results for each SNP, so don't need to look directly into your .bam file. With FTDNA Big Y sometimes a few meaningful SNPs may not be read at all or are too ambiguous (different readings), If the SNP is tested by some other methods like Sanger sequencing it could be proven to be firmly positive or negative. You should investigate if you don't have such cases yourself.

I don't know how it is with FullGenome, but with YFULL you have the option to see the results for each SNP, so don't need to look directly into your .bam file. With FTDNA Big Y sometimes a few meaningful SNPs may not be read at all or are too ambiguous (different readings), If the SNP is tested by some other methods like Sanger sequencing it could be proven to be firmly positive or negative. You should investigate if you don't have such cases yourself.

Full Genome has far better coverage. Most all downstream SNPs were flagged with 2-3 stars. 2 stars being a low probability 40 percent. 3 stars only 10 percent. 30x read over. My admins are certain of my placement. I am negative downstream as already stated.

Here is my preliminary placement. Sample is now up. full analysis in process. I thought I formed a cluster with the existing samples. Supposedly L1029* are all individual split cases with TMRCA between each other of 2000ypb. I may or may not form a cluster with one(have to wait for the Yfull update thats coming).

image.jpg

Finally got my Yfull matches. I blacked out the names, but it seems(despite them all being distant), I share the most SNPs with the sample from Italy, and then further down further distance.

yfullmatches1.jpg

yfullmatches2.jpg

Ok, so they finally posted my STR matches. so I only have 12 close matches. Though, I am not sure how close. If any of you can determine that based on the data in the chart that would be great. Otherwise I can always email the data. I also have 500 distant STR matches. If you guys think its relevant to post I can do so. Blotting out the names will take time though. My closest matches are Finland oddly enough lol. Then again Idk how far back the TMRCA is between us.

Surprised the Finland samples are my closest STR matches. The above post i commented before has SNP matches, with me sharing the most SNPs with the Italian L1029 sample.

strmatchesclose.jpg

2 new Albanian results within this cluster. One from Okshtun, and one from Kercove in Macedonia. So far there is a total of 7 samples(2 of which are Albanians from the Boattini study). Another sample that could possibly fall into this line is currently testing. So far only Albanians appear to be part of this cluster - R1a-M458>L1029>Y133383>Dibra Cluster. Estimated TMRCA is between 1100-1200ypb. Relation to other L1029 seems to be between 2100-2300ypb. Are there any other possible L1029 that could match our STRs? I joined my matches profile that I manage to the R1a Project on YSEQ. Not sure how to check for other matches.

Just wanted to mention something in regards to this topic. I'm no expert for the whole R1a haplogroup, but as someone who discovered the Albanian R1a-L1029>"Dibra Cluster" where now Dibran and four other Albanians from our project belong to, I can say that this haplotype is characterized by DYS389I=12, DYS389II=28, and DYS442=14, whereas the modal for other R1a (M458) is 13, 29, and 13, respectively.

Also, thanks to the Y-Elite test from Dibran and him testing his Novels on two of his matches on YSEQ, we know that the Albanian R1a-L1029>"Dibra Cluster" currently forms an independent branch downstream of L1029, and is defined by the following 8 SNPs: Y133383, Y133367, Y133354, Y133364, Y133386, Y13380, Y133361, Y133351.
Their TMRCA seems to be ~1200 ybp. We have chosen the first SNP, Y133383, to define this cluster.

Just wanted to mention something in regards to this topic. I'm no expert for the whole R1a haplogroup, but as someone who discovered the Albanian R1a-L1029>"Dibra Cluster" where now Dibran and four other Albanians from our project belong to, I can say that this haplotype is characterized by DYS389I=12, DYS389II=28, and DYS442=14, whereas the modal for other R1a (M458) is 13, 29, and 13, respectively.

Also, thanks to the Y-Elite test from Dibran and him testing his Novels on two of his matches on YSEQ, we know that the Albanian R1a-L1029>"Dibra Cluster" currently forms an independent branch downstream of L1029, and is defined by the following 8 SNPs: Y133383, Y133367, Y133354, Y133364, Y133386, Y13380, Y133361, Y133351.
Their TMRCA seems to be ~1200 ybp. We have chosen the first SNP, Y133383, to define this cluster.

Thanks bro! This clarifies some of the breakdown for me. I am not too knowledgeable of haplotypes. I inboxed you the response regarding those haploytpes from the study. You could respond to this thread if it makes it easier.

Congratulations, Dibran, you have your own branch. Now you just have to come up with a name for the founder, like I call the first YP-445 Jaromar the Wendish Warrior.

Congratulations, Dibran, you have your own branch. Now you just have to come up with a name for the founder, like I call the first YP-445 Jaromar the Wendish Warrior.

Lol yea, not naming it yet hahah. Dibra Cluster is good enough for now.

Just noticed there is the first Italian sample in the project from Lombardy who is L1029*.

This could indicate some Proto-Slavs/Balts may have been absorbed and atypically moved with "East Germanic" Tribes. Though the sample could be explained by the Austrian control of the region in the early 1700s. Though the tester knows their ancestry better than I.

Basal L1029 seems more prevalent in Germany and Poland. Though some clades of L1029 seem entirely German or British.

How does FTDNA's STR matching work? I went from 2 close STR matches and 100 distant to no close matches and 62 distant STR matches.

This thread has been viewed 11377 times.

Back