Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
I found this article to be interesting, because often I feel as though I’m not living in the moment. Rather, I think a lot about the future, and goals I set out for myself. Of course I think it’s important to plan ahead, and strive for more in life. But sometimes, people can obsess over these things. But even more interestingly, is that the article addresses how people have a want/need mentality within their immediate experience that does not always turn out the way they want. We cannot always get our way, yet we sometimes delude ourselves into expecting that we can. Moreover, it could even be a cause of frustration, and it may not be something we can necessarily control. She used an example, which I could definitely identify with; going to a concert. Hoping that they will play the songs you want to hear, that the band will play long enough and won’t cut the set short, etc. This type of thinking may actually degrade the quality of your experience. Rather we should try to remove ourselves from this thinking, to better enjoy our time for what it is. The author suggests we take a few conscious breaths, and analyze the situation, before making knee-jerk or rash judgments and actions by resisting the want/need mentality. For negative experiences, she suggests this could help too. That if we live in the moment, we will be able to better help ourselves emotionally and optimize our immediate experiences.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/turning-straw-gold/201708/you-can-use-mindfulness-choose-how-live?collection=1095899

This thread has been viewed 1947 times.

Back