Ancient mtDna from the Piceni of Novilara

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:Serventi et al
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/figure/10.1080/03014460.2017.1414876?scroll=top&needAccess=true

So disappointing that it's behind a pay wall. It's 54.00 to rent it for 24 hours. Anyone have institutional access? Even just getting the list of the mtDna would be helpful.

Is this Alvarez the one who was supposedly doing a paper on ancient Italian dna? Gosh, I hope not, if this is what it's going to be like. I wonder if the yDna couldn't be retrieved in their lab? I know it's harder, but if they can't do it, why don't they send it to someplace like the Reich Lab?

In terms of autosomal, they don't mean something stupid like AIMS, do they?

"Background: Archaeological data provide evidence that Italy, during the Iron Age, witnessed the appearance of the first communities with well defined cultural identities. To date, only a few studies report genetic data about these populations and, in particular, the Piceni have never been analysed.[FONT=&quot]Aims: To provide new data about mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) variability of an Iron Age Italic population, to understand the contribution of the Piceni in shaping the modern Italian gene pool and to ascertain the kinship between some individuals buried in the same grave within the Novilara necropolis.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Subjects and methods: In a first set of 10 individuals from Novilara, we performed deep sequencing of the HVS-I region of the mtDNA, combined with the genotyping of 22 SNPs in the coding region and the analysis of several autosomal markers.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Results: The results show a low nucleotide diversity for the inhabitants of Novilara and highlight a genetic affinity of this ancient population with the current inhabitants of central Italy. No family relationship was observed between the individuals analysed here.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Conclusions: This study provides a preliminary characterisation of the mtDNA variability of the Piceni of Novilara, as well as a kinship assessment of two peculiar burials.[/FONT]
Well, about all I glean from that is that there is a genetic "affinity" with the current populations of Central Italy.

For those not familiar with ancient Italy, this is the area of the Marche and northern Abruzzo.

They don't even give a date for the remains.

"First settled at the beginning of the Iron Age (1200 bc – 400 ad),[2] Picenum later became one of the eleven districts of Italy. The three interior towns of the region possessed an urban layout and appeared to be economically successful, so it is unknown what caused this city[which?] to decline in later years.[3]In 268 BC the consuls Appius Claudius Russus and Publius Sempronius Sophus conducted a pincer operation against Picenum. The Picentes, who were then Roman allies, had rebelled.[4] Part of the population was deported and those who were not were given Roman citizenship without the right to vote. Thus, Picenum was annexed, except for the city of Ausculum, which was considered an allied city. To keep her under control, the colony of Firmum was established nearby in 264 BC."

"Excavations performed in the late 19th century in Picenum give some insight into the region during the Iron Age. Excavated tombs in Novilara of the Molaroni and Servici cemeteries show that the Piceni laid bodies in the ground wrapped in garments they had worn in life.[5]Warriors would be buried in the ground with a helmet, weapons and vessels for food and drinks. Buried beads, bone, fibulae and amber seem to demonstrate that there was an active trade in the ninth and perhaps tenth centuries on the Adriatic coast, especially in the fields of amber and beads of glass paste. In women’s graves there is a large abundance of ornaments made of bronze and iron.[6]
Origins of these items may also show that the Piceni may have looked to the south and east for development.[7]
The warrior tombs seem to show that the Piceni were a war-like people. Every man’s grave contained more or less a complete outfit of a warrior, with the most frequent weapon being a spear. Piceni swords appear to be imported from the Balkans.[8]"

"According to Polybius (Histories 2:21), during the consulship of Marcus Aemilius Lepidus (232 bc), "the Romans divided among their citizens the territory in Gaul known as Picenum, from which they had ejected the Senones when they conquered them".

@43.8574195,12.3711873,9z
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picenum

"There is linguistic evidence that the Picentini comprised two different ethnicities: a group known to scholars as the "South Picenes" (or South Picenians) were an Italic tribe,[1] while the "North Picenes" (or North Picenians) appear to have had closer links to non-Italic peoples."

"From Ancona southward a language of the Umbrian group was spoken, today called South Picene. It is attested mainly in inscriptions. Umbrian was an Italic language.[2] "

"North of Ancona around Pesaro a non-Italic language, written in a version of the Old Italic script, is attested by four inscriptions (three of which are very brief); this has been termed, for convenience, North Picene. Both the meaning of the inscriptions and the relationship of North Picene to other languages remains unknown. There is phonological evidence that it was linked more closely to the Indo-European language family (than to, for example, Etruscan).[1] Some authors have referred to North Picene as simply "Picene" – under a hypothesis that it represents the original language across Picenum, although there is as yet evidence for this."

"Between Ancona and Rimini to the north the population was multi-ethnic. In the Roman Republic it was Gallia Togata, but the Gauls were known to have combined or supplanted earlier populations. The ager Gallicus, as it was called, was considered both Gaul and Picenum. Under the Roman Empire the coast south of Rimini was united or reunited with the country south of Ancona as Picenum. By then the only language spoken was Latin."

So, Ancona was the dividing line. Novilara is north of Ancona, in the provincia of Pesaro.

main-qimg-05447e6125b32e6cfe27df1a3d9dba9b

The best-known North Picene inscription is on the stele from Novilara (now in the Museo Preistorico Pigorini, Rome), dated to approximately the 6th century BCE:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Picene_language

No need to pay the 54.00 just to rent it...
1. Pay the required amt
2. Screen cap and copy paste each page to your favorite word processor
3. Keep it forever

:belial::belial:

That would be very (much more, I mean) interesting if we had full results about the Picene people. North Picene has long fascinated me because it looks and at least seemingly sounds so akin to an Indo-European language***, but still nobody could ever even deduce the meaning of the few but still sufficient texts in North Picene. It's also so clearly different from Etruscan and other Tyrrhenian languages and in fact any other non-IE ancient language of Europe. It should be very interesting to know the main genetic admixtures of this people in comparison with others in the Italian peninsula.

*** By this I mean especially that it has so many Indo-European-like endings in the words, like -em, -on, -us, -is, -ut, and also quite similar patterns of syllable formation:

mimniś erút gaareśtadeśrotnem úvlin partenúśpolem iśairon tetśút tratneši krúviśtenag trút ipiem rotnešlútúiś θalú iśperion vúlteś rotem teú aiten tašúrśoter merpon kalatneniś vilatoś paten arnúiś baleśtenag andś etšút iakút treten teletaú
nem polem tišú śotriś eúś

^^When they're not dealing with frozen remains it seems to be much more difficult to get ancient dna, even mtDna. They had a lot of samples, of which 30 seemed promising, and in the end could only get mtDna from 10 of them. Lots of H.

Sorry, I can't get the image to post. Maybe someone else can do it.

https://postimg.org/image/6j2l0mcyz/

This is from my own files:
View attachment 9709

According to the authors there seems to be continuity with modern mtDna from that Marche region, and they claim that the results also fit in with the cline in Italy.

I'm not sure how much faith to put in that, because the resolution isn't very good.

If that's correct, however, whatever the events which followed, whether Romans, Celts, Germans, etc., they wouldn't seem to have brought many, if any, women with them.

The remains date to 8th to 7th century BC.

Here is their MDS plot.
View attachment 9708

The North Picene language, which I would assume was spoken at some point in Novilara is interesting.

"Both the meaning of the inscriptions and the relationship of North Picene to other languages remains unknown. There is phonological evidence that it was linked more closely to the Indo-European language family (than to, for example, Etruscan).[1] Some authors have referred to North Picene as simply "Picene" – under a hypothesis that it represents the original language across Picenum, although there is as yet evidence for this."

Anyone know anything more about it?

Exciting that they are testing ancient Italian DNA. Disappointing results though. It doesn't help much to know they belonged to mt-haplogroups H, H1, J1 and K. These lineages are found all over Europe. MtDNA isn't very useful without deep clades.

It is a shame that they are still publishing studies without auDNA and Y-DNA.

It's 2018!

Exciting that they are testing ancient Italian DNA. Disappointing results though. It doesn't help much to know they belonged to mt-haplogroups H, H1, J1 and K. These lineages are found all over Europe. MtDNA isn't very useful without deep clades.

As I mentioned above, they only managed to get 10 results from all those samples. I don't know if it was because of degradation or because the lab they used just doesn't have enough capability.

I wish they would partner with the Reich or Max Planck labs and see if more information can be extracted.

Another useless study without Y and autosomal.

"First settled at the beginning of the Iron Age (1200 bc – 400 ad),[2] Picenum later became one of the eleven districts of Italy.

First settled in the Iron Age ??? This is so wrong

First settled in the Iron Age ??? This is so wrong

Do you have any sources for your disagreement?

I'd love to see them. If it's wrong, perhaps the Wiki article should be amended.

A part of the problem in deciphering North Picene (NP) is that it does not seem to have entered the historical record. Roman scholars depicted the Picenes in general as speaking an Italic language (presumably South Picean). Nevertheless, there is archaeological evidence for a separate linguistic sphere – known to us as North Picean – centred on the modern provinces of Pesaro e Urbino (Marche) and Rimini (Emilia-Romagna).

Based on the limited remaining evidence, some modern scholars suggest, tentatively, that NP may belong to a branch of the Indo-European (IE) languages other than Italic. This could be:

a lost sibling of both Italic and Celtic within the Italo-Celtic branch, as may also be the case with, e.g. Ligurian in north-west Italy and/or Venetic in the north-east;

part of the little-known Illyrian branch of IE – as also appears to be the case with the Messapic languages (pale green on the map above), which were spoken by the Iapygei tribes of south-east Italy;

a hybrid of Illyrian, Italo-Celtic and/or a non-IE language – as may be the case with Liburnian (spoken on the opposing coast of the Adriatic, in what is now north-west Croatia), or;

The linguist Phillip Baldi cites three NP words with possible IE cognates.

mimniś – similar to Italic words for “remember”, such as Latin memini. (And, we might add, the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European [PIE] precursor *memnos.)
polem – similar to Greek pólin (πόλιν), meaning “city” (accusative singular). (The Greek root being derived ultimately from the reconstructed PIE root *tPolh- “fortification”.)
iśairon – similar to:
Greek ieros (ἱερός) which Baldi defines as “mighty” (but is more usually, “superhuman”, “sacred” “divine” etc) as well as
a closer cognate (not considered by Baldi) i.e. the Sanskrit root iṣira (इषिर): “fresh, flourishing, vigorous, active, quick” etc, and
the probable reconstructed Proto-Indo-European root of the Greek and Sanskrit words above: *ish₁ro-: “holy”, “awe-inspiring” etc.

Baldi and others have also pointed to many North Picene words that have endings characteristic of Indo-European languages, such as -em, -eś and -uś.

For what it's worth, there is circumstantial evidence linking Liburnian-speaking people (from what is now Dalmatia, in Croatia) to the area in which NP was spoken. The Liburnians were famous seafarers (including pirates) and boatbuilders, who lived nearby, just over a short stretch of the Adriatic Sea. After the time of the Novilara Stele, the NP area was invaded and settled by Gauls, Romans and other peoples – leading presumably to the language death of NP. Much later, in the early Middle Ages, the tiny and “Italy-locked” independent republic of San Marino was founded, inland from Rimini. The Marinese came to speak the same Romagnol dialect of Italian as their neighbours, but the eponymous founder of their republic, Saint Marino, is said to have been a Liburnian.

On a first glance and rapid analysis North Picene looks more like some sort of agglutinative language with very small roots than the kind of complex fusional language, with several declensions and different forms, that IE languages were. However, it is striking that the endings "look" so much like IE ones, and also the syllable formation and consonant clusters look very IE, but maybe we're just seeing a heavily Indo-Europeanized Neolithic language of Europe, adopting some of the main phonotactics of IE-speaking people. Separating the diverse syllables that look like roots from the final and mostly very repetitive endings, I think we can deduce that they had grammatical relevance in structuring the sentences, because if you arrange some of the words to form distinct sentences and place them side by side you immediately notice that most sentences have some kind of -is/-us/-es, -em/-ten, -ut, -on and in some cases, rarer (maybe adverbs?), -esh/-eshi. If I'm allowed to speculate a bit, I'd say that the -s endings represent subjects, the -m stand for objects, the -ut and -on represent verb conjugations. They look IE at a first glance, but if they're really declensions and verb conjugations then they don't fit any specific IE form that would at least make these sentences partially intelligible.

Mimn-iś er-út.
Gaareśtad-eś rotn-em úvl-in.
Parten-úś pol-em iśair-on.
Tet ś-út tratn-eši.
Krúv-iś-ten-ag tr-út ipi-em rotn-eš.
Lútú-iś θalú iśperi-on vúl.
T-eś rot-em teú ai-ten taš-úr.
śoter merp-on kalatne.
n-iś vilat-oś pa-ten arn.
Ú-iś bal-eś-ten-ag
And-ś et
š-út iak-út ter-ten teletaú
n-em pol-em t-išú śotr-iś e-úś

Do you have any sources for your disagreement?

I'd love to see them. If it's wrong, perhaps the Wiki article should be amended.

Basically every book about Central Italian (Picenum = Marche) prehistory

This for example:

http://www.iipp.it/il-neolitico-delle-marche/
http://www.iipp.it/leneolitico-delle-marche/

Less scientific but still useful

http://www.provincia.mc.it/curiosita-cms/viaggio-nella-storia-insediamenti-preistorici-nelle-marche/

PS. i thought the mistake was in the paper

Last edited:
Basically every book about Central Italian (Picenum = Marche) prehistory

This for example:

http://www.iipp.it/il-neolitico-delle-marche/
http://www.iipp.it/leneolitico-delle-marche/

Less scientific but still useful

http://www.provincia.mc.it/curiosita-cms/viaggio-nella-storia-insediamenti-preistorici-nelle-marche/

PS. i thought the mistake was in the paper

No, it's from Wiki. I provided the link.

They're not talking about the area in general. They're talking about the specific settlement.

The paper is about Novilara but the wiki page is about Picenum in general.

I dont have specific data about Novilara but i know that the province of Pesaro is frequented by humans since the UP

Why it should be I have no idea, but the first paper was blocked by my computer for malicious malware.

The second paper is very informative, however, both about the Neolithic and the Metal Ages.

Either the Wiki authors don't know this information, or they're talking specifically about the settlements of the Piceni of history. I think this would be a great opportunity for you to provide the data and citations and make that very short and incomplete wiki article better.

This thread has been viewed 26312 times.

Back