G2a yet 90% sub Saharan African

Sethgriffi

Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on belonging to Haplogroup G yet having majority sub Saharan African autosomal ancestry.

Anyone have any insight on belonging to Haplogroup G yet having majority sub Saharan African autosomal ancestry.

YDNA is only about direct male line - its inhereted from father, he inhereted it from his father, who in turn inhereted it from his father father and so on...if there were no mutations going along the way we would all have same YDNA... main mutations got names using alphabet letters, following branches got numbers than letters again...

if in USA that's not rare... many white slave owners had offspring with black slaves...

if in Africa that is more interesting subject...
could be offspring of single white male adventurer going to Africa e.g. to catch slaves or to search for diamonds...

could be offspring of Alans or less likely Vandals in direct male line.. grand grand grand grand ...grandfather in direct male line (Y DNA) was Alan (Sarmatian tribe; Ossetians that origin from them have dominant G haplogroup)
640px-Alan_kingdom_hispania.png

553px-Vandal_alan_kingdom_526.png

There are many branches of yDna haplogroup "G". Some are predominantly in Europe, some in the Near East. In Europe it was the predominant lineage of the early farmers who came from Anatolia. Certain branches were also picked up by Indo-European speaking groups, while others could have arrived in Europe with later migrations.

Without further information, it's impossible to know how this applies to this particular person.

However, if we have Chadic speaking Central Africans who are black but carry R1b-V88, we can have mostly SSA men who carry a "G" yDna.

being 90% SSA I think the last possible explanation you provided is more likely, hundreds of years ago a great great great etc grandfather of mines was a Alan or Vandal. I believe if it were a slave owner I will have more European ancestry in my autosomal results.

being 90% SSA I think the last possible explanation you provided is more likely, hundreds of years ago a great great great etc grandfather of mines was a Alan or Vandal. I believe if it were a slave owner I will have more European ancestry in my autosomal results.

Are you of African-American ancestry or are your ancestors more recently from Africa?

Virtually all African-Americans were slaves owned by Europeans. If you're African American, you got your y from a slave owner or a foreman or some European on the slave ships.

Whether that European male got it from the original farmers or from "Indo-Europeans" or from later Alans is anyone's guess. You could get closer if you told us if it was G1, G2a, and then if G2a what branch of G2a.

If you're more recently from Africa, it could be from a North African man who has G2a from various sources, perhaps indeed Vandals etc. It all depends, as I said, on the sub-clade.

There are lots of African-Americans with from a few percent to close to 20% European ancestry who nevertheless carry European yDna.

There's no point in going further until you tell us your ancestry and your yDna subclade of "G".

G2a3 can be found in Europe and Middle East. There is no massive intrusion of the haplogroup in Africa, but there are quite a lot of possible way for it to have made it to Africa. I could have been Phoenicians, Egyptians (who rules over the Levant for good parts of their history), Greeks (who ruled over Persia and Egypt), Romans, Arabs, Ottomans, Spaniards.

It could have been a high ranking scholar from Empire of Mali who hired a Middle Eastern professor, who married a local woman. We need only one man, the possibilities are endless.

Given that you are 10% European autosomally and that you have a history similar to that of other African-Americans, I think the highest probability is that like 35% of all African-American men, you carry a European yDna.

On the Italian y thread, for example, we were discussing that certain branches of G2a seem to have been picked up by Indo-Europeans, perhaps in the Balkans, and carried to Central Europe, Italy, and the British Isles, where an English, Scottish or Irish man might have carried.

There are, of course, other possibilities, as Moi-Meme pointed out.

If you are Afro-American,its most likely your West European heritage.

This thread has been viewed 6384 times.

Back