Elite leader of the Varna Culture T-M184 ( western Black sea coast )

Alpenjager

Reaction score
Among the several samples found in the recently published Mathieson et al study is found the sample of a Elite leader individual from the Varna Culture, this ruler was the priest-king of a powerful metallurgical civilisation (the earliest major assemblage of gold artifacts anywhere in the world), with male dominance and the first fully developed hierarchy.
His grave counts with around 1000 pieces of Gold like a War Axe, Bulls and a penis protection. This is the most richest grave in the world at this time period, as far as known.

He is found to be positive for T-M184 equivalent SNPs:
Y3804/FGC1231+
Z7767/FGC1179+

This sample: ANI152 / VAR43 is
dated as 6495yBP and his mtDNA is U2

Varna skull grave 43 T-M184 Гроб-43-Череп-и-възстановка-на-главата.gifSkull 43 Varna VHNI-Гроб-43-череп.jpgSkull 43 Varna Портретна-реконструкция-на-човек-от-халколи.jpgSkull 43 Varna VHNI-Гроб-43-очертания-през-черепа.jpgtreasure-varna_43.jpg

Hey I saw him as your avatar, salento! I was wondering who he was

Hey I saw him as your avatar, salento! I was wondering who he was

That’s because people I’m my House think that he looks a bit like me.
Later I changed the Avatar again to an older one. (That’s me and Neandy by the way)

(I’m also Y T) [emoji4]

Thank you for spelling out a connective tissue of both the Verna Culture and it's Priest- King. The ability to organizing the facts adds credibility to a search for a point of entry.
The hardest part of organizing my thoughts was answered.

Is it this maybe?
vCN2BWF_d.jpg

That's it! Thanks. I wasn't at my laptop and couldn't read it properly on my small device.

It looks to me like some steppe, and two kinds of "western" h/g, yes, but the total is perhaps under 20%?

In looking at the PCA, a Varna sample lands, again, on the Tuscans. I'm definitely going to start calling my Lunigiana and eastern Ligurian half "Tuscan". :) Varna, Globular Amphora, the Iron Age Thracian, and in the post Roman era, even some of the Pannonian locals (the southern ones), have been described as Tuscan like

I wonder if that's the King? Or, given how Tuscans are often modeled as 1/3 "Germanic" like, which I've always thought meant all the more steppe heavy northerners who moved south, maybe it's the Varna sample with more stepp?

On the other PCA in Mathiesen et al, where they put all the samples, am I reading it right and some land in Sicily? Maybe one of those is the "King".

I'm going to try to get a visual of it, but I'm not as good as you. :)

That's it! Thanks. I wasn't at my laptop and couldn't read it properly on my small device.

It looks to me like some steppe, and two kinds of "western" h/g, yes, but the total is perhaps under 20%?

In looking at the PCA, a Varna sample lands, again, on the Tuscans. I'm definitely going to start calling my Lunigiana and eastern Ligurian half "Tuscan". :) Varna, Globular Amphora, the Iron Age Thracian, and in the post Roman era, even some of the Pannonian locals (the southern ones), have been described as Tuscan like

I wonder if that's the King? Or, given how Tuscans are often modeled as 1/3 "Germanic" like, which I've always thought meant all the more steppe heavy northerners who moved south, maybe it's the Varna sample with more stepp?

On the other PCA in Mathiesen et al, where they put all the samples, am I reading it right and some land in Sicily? Maybe one of those is the "King".

I'm going to try to get a visual of it, but I'm not as good as you. :)

In this context, every-time I read Tuscans, I always assume a share ancestry with Ancient Etruscans.

Those Numbers are very small. [emoji4]

Wait, what does Tuscan like actually mean? Don't Tuscans vary? Is being Tuscan like simply a matter of being genetically similar to any Tuscan group, whether Southern Tuscan, northern, or in between?

A bit confused

Wait, what does Tuscan like actually mean? Don't Tuscans vary? Is being Tuscan like simply a matter of being genetically similar to any Tuscan group, whether Southern Tuscan, northern, or in between?

A bit confused
I spent over a year in Florence.
Appearance wise, IMO most Tuscans are a mix: 3/4 Mediterranean, 1/4 Celt.
Matteo Renzi - Former Italian PM, and Mayor of Florence.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Matteo_Renzi_2.jpg
Roberto Benigni
JbBLq3e_d.jpg

Sile input in this Thread would be Highly Appreciated. He has extended Knowledge of the T-M184 Haplogroup!

Matteo Renzi - Former Italian PM, and Mayor of Florence.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Matteo_Renzi_2.jpg
Roberto Benigni
JbBLq3e_d.jpg

We have the genetics, no need to guess, unless you mean strictly in terms of appearance?

Matteo Renzi looks nothing like a Celt, and shows nothing of that influence, if that's what you were going for, and furthermore most of his ancestors are from the Marche, which is quite different. He looks really Central Italian to me, not specifically Tuscan.

Also, Benigni, whom I adore, is hardly "typical" of more "Mediterranean" looking Tuscans, although he's maybe a funnier looking version of Dante.
Dante.jpg

There is certainly a range among Tuscans, however. These are the ones that immediately come to my mind.

Yves Montand:
5462363979_8cc58cd757_z.jpg

Luigi Ugolini:
Luigi_Ugolini._poeta.scrittore.Fiorentino.jpg

Paolo Ruffini:
Paolo.jpg
519xdvHBvOL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

Gianna Nannini when she was young:
gianna-nannini-186861.jpg

Oriana Fallaci:
Oriana-Fallaci-Italian-journalist.jpg

Irene Grandi:
Irene_Grandi_2_cropped.jpg

Stefania Sandrelli:
tumblr_mmxarwSqgw1rij8i9o1_500.jpg

Massimiliano Allegri-maybe closer to Varna man?
allegri-Juventus-ln101.jpg

Maybe more what you're thinking of when you say showing more of the "Celtic" influence? (although it could very well be Italic influence as well) It's my impression that these "types" are more common in the northwestern part of Toscana proper, like Livorno, Viareggio, etc., and that people get more "Mediterranean" as you go toward Lazio. However, that's not always the case. There are really no hard and fast rules for this sort of thing in Italy: you can always find exceptions. Zeffirelli, for example, was born around Firenze, while Allegri comes from the northwest.

Jovanotti:
4afd8a6ae6e9c0fd2e4417364e9ccaf3.jpg

Marcello Lippi when he was young and a player:
Lippiqg3.JPG

Franco Zeffirelli:

franco-zeffirelli-9540630-1-402.jpg

As for Sile, if he had the slightest modicum of civility, he would be still here, even if he has a reputation for posting material which is totally incorrect and confused.

We have the genetics, no need to guess, unless you mean strictly in terms of appearance?

I do mean In Term of Appearances, not genetics.
Lorenzo De Medici:
Lorenzo_de%27_Medici-ritratto_face.jpg

La Gioconda:
1200px-Mona_Lisa%2C_by_Leonardo_da_Vinci%2C_from_C2RMF_retouched.jpg

In this context, every-time I read Tuscans, I always assume a share ancestry with Ancient Etruscans.

Those Numbers are very small. [emoji4]

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Varna and Globular Amphora are long before any proposed migration of people from Lydia to Toscana in the first millennium BC.

If they're really like Tuscans, then the Etruscans would be basically autochthonous.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Varna and Globular Amphora are long before any proposed migration of people from Lydia to Toscana in the first millennium BC.

If they're really like Tuscans, then the Etruscans would be basically autochthonous.

I meant the Numbers in the picture are very small, and hard to read. We couldn’t see it. lol

Florence has now not less non-native people than other big and medium Italian cities, becoming more similar to Rome or Milan or Turin, or any other Italian city that has received large migrations, especially from southern Italy. The Italian demography north of Naples has changed everywhere in Italy in the last 50-70 years due to domestic migrations. Tuscans do have more Mediterranean types than north Italians from the the Alps and Prealps, but it's much less noticeable with north Italian people from the Po Valley.

Anthropological maps realized shortly after the unification of Italy and then before the great demographic changes occurred in Italy in the last 150 years. According to the first map, there is a bit more blondism in Tuscany and other central Italian regions than in the eastern part of Emilia-Romagna, lower north Italian Po Valley.

Blondism in Italy

643px-BiasuttiMappa.png

KKV8IbP.png

3j5V6nA.gif

Height in Italy 1879-1883

Daniele_Malanima_stature_ottocento.jpeg

Roberto Benigni is a comedian, hardly comedians are average faces. Roberto Benigni with his wife who is a north Italian actress from Romagna. Anyway, Benigni is not a Med type.

91IUqyD.jpg

Florence has now not less non-native people than other big and medium Italian cities, becoming more similar to Rome or Milan or Turin, or any other Italian city that has received large migrations, especially from southern Italy. The Italian demography north of Naples has changed everywhere in Italy in the last 50-70 years due to domestic migrations. Tuscans do have more Mediterranean types than north Italians from the the Alps and Prealps, but it's much less noticeable with north Italian people from the Po Valley.

Anthropological maps realized shortly after the unification of Italy and then before the great demographic changes occurred in Italy in the last 150 years. According to the first map, there is a bit more blondism in Tuscany and other central Italian regions than in the eastern part of Emilia-Romagna, lower north Italian Po Valley.

Blondism in Italy

643px-BiasuttiMappa.png

KKV8IbP.png

3j5V6nA.gif

Height in Italy 1879-1883

Daniele_Malanima_stature_ottocento.jpeg

Roberto Benigni is a comedian, hardly comedians are average faces. Roberto Benigni with his wife who is a north Italian actress from Romagna. Anyway, Benigni is not a Med type.

91IUqyD.jpg

Exactly right, Pax.

This thread has been viewed 52026 times.

Back