Reaction score
Ethnic group
Celto-Germanic?
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-U106
mtDNA haplogroup
J1b1a
Who else has J1b1a?

Please post. Also, whoever is knowledgeable on this MTDNA, please share.

I'm also J1b1a and R-L51. I'm also trying to find out more about J1b1a. Seems like it's concentrated in Western and Northern Europe. Origin is somewhere in the near east.

I am J1b1a1. Just got my dna results in and am sorting out all of this. Fascinating, as most of my maternal side were of Scotland. The dna company stated this subclade is most common in Iceland, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.

Must continue to read and follow as the genetics research unfolds. Hoping a brother will get his tested so we all know what our father passed on to him.

Of course, new to this and I am looking at family, and not yet at the entire movement of the J as of this time. I neglected to mention areas of the world where the J1b1a may be more prominent. Hope no feathers ruffled.

There is a dedicated page for mtdna J on this site (go up to the part of the page where it says "Genetics", click on it, and it will go to a haplogroup menu), and has good stuff on the basic clades and areas where they are found; my J1c is also of Gaelic origin, as my maternal line comes from the south-central coast of Ireland, where Counties Cork and Waterford meet.

“This branch of your maternal ancestors journey was born during the Bronze Age in the Anatolian region. Groups containing women from this lineage migrated across much of Europe. This lineage also contains groups from the Jewish diaspora such as Ashkenazi Jews” -natgeo

I am J1b1a1, which Eupedia says was absent in Europe until the Bronze Age, but was likely brought with the Steppe invaders into Europe, and featured in many bronze age proto celtic cultures such as Urnfield. J1b1 is apparently the only J1b sub-branch which is found primarily in Europe, with the others being more common in the Middle East.

When I go to Wikipedia (not the font of all knowledge, I know) they don't mention any J1b1 being found in the Bronze Age cultures mentioned on the Eupedia page though (such as Urnfield, Catacomb and Unetice), so it would be nice to get the sources for this as I'm sure whoever wrote the Eupedia page was correct, would just be great to read the papers that confirm it all.

The Greek colony of Himera in ancient Sicily was the home and gravesite of sample I20168, an old adult male civilian from the local population whose mtDNA haplogroup was J1b1a1. This is from Dataset S2 of the recent study "The diverse genetic origins of a Classical period Greek army" by Laurie J. Reitsema, Alissa Mittnik, et al. in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 119:41 (October 3, 2022): e2205272119. His remains were dated to between 700-400 BCE.

I'm J1b1a1. Tracking my maternal ancestors back is tricky as they are not well-documented. But the surname Ross for my ggg-grandmother seems pretty firm. Some genealogies (I'm kind of lazy and just look up stuff on the internet) say she's the daughter of a Scottish immigrant from Ross and Cromarty. That seems to check with the J1b1a1 being common in Scotland, so maybe it's true.

This thread has been viewed 7251 times.

Back