Economic model of sexual access

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Conventional thinking has been that the more men in a community, the more pressure they will exert on women for sexual access. It doesn't seem to work that way. The economic model says that the minority sex sets the rules.

Looking at college campuses, where the men outnumbered the women, "A “patriarchy model” would predict that if men were the majority on campus they’d create pressure for casual sex through coercion or intimidation- but we see the opposite pattern. When men are the majority women have less casual sex.

Where the women outnumbered the men, "
hetero sex-women who are minority on campus more likely to be virgins, even if they had boyfriends- it was as if they said “I’d rather not have sex yet & if you don’t like it there are plenty of other guys to choose from”

See:
https://twitter.com/sentientist/status/970706888424939520

the sex that is in the minority is more in demand and can be more picky in choosing a partner

in essence it's a question of offer and demand

I guess in a situation where it’s dominated by one sex, the minority sex will likely choose the opposite-sex with the most desirable attributes within that social structure. So I assume if it were more evenly distributed, there would be less choice, but more sexual access for both groups.

I guess in a situation where it’s dominated by one sex, the minority sex will likely choose the opposite-sex with the most desirable attributes within that social structure. So I assume if it were more evenly distributed, there would be less choice, but more sexual access for both groups.

That's probably right. However, it's interesting that when women hold the cards they don't opt for casual sex or even necessarily any sex at all without the ultimate commitment of marriage.

Women just don't realize their power in this regard. What most of them want, clearly, is commitment, no matter the propaganda constantly thrown at them. So, if that's the case, then whether they're in the minority or not, they should just all hold out for it.

Wow, I'm still so old-fashioned. :)

That's probably right. However, it's interesting that when women hold the cards they don't opt for casual sex or even necessarily any sex at all without the ultimate commitment of marriage.

Women just don't realize their power in this regard. What most of them want, clearly, is commitment, no matter the propaganda constantly thrown at them. So, if that's the case, then whether they're in the minority or not, they should just all hold out for it.

I think what the vast majority of people truly want is a partner that is exclusively theirs. So perhaps female sexual attitudes may be biologically linked to this. Which I think is also part of our species' ability to plan ahead. It could also explain why most cultures are monogamous.

that's when women got pregnant after one or a few sexual contacts
they were left with the burden of pregnancy and the raising of children
they needed a man that would support her in this

that's how women were programmed, probably by their DNA selected through the generations
I'm not so sure it will stay that way with anticoncpetives and 'liberated' women

that's when women got pregnant after one or a few sexual contacts
they were left with the burden of pregnancy and the raising of children
they needed a man that would support her in this
that's how women were programmed, probably by their DNA selected through the generations
I'm not so sure it will stay that way with anticoncpetives and 'liberated' women

I don't know. Maybe it's too soon for the changes to have occurred?

These are young women currently in university, and they seem to be sexually more "available" only if they think that if they're not, they won't "get" a man. I also know a lot of "twenty-something" young women, and this rings very true to me. Of course, there are always exceptions.

I think that's why some men complain about a "drop" in sexual activity after marriage in some cases. Those women who really aren't that into it, and there are more of them than men might imagine going by the confidences I've heard at women's only gatherings with a little bit of wine, just start to say no more often. Short sighted on their parts to some extent.

I don't know. Maybe it's too soon for the changes to have occurred?

These are young women currently in university, and they seem to be sexually more "available" only if they think that if they're not, they won't "get" a man. I also know a lot of "twenty-something" young women, and this rings very true to me. Of course, there are always exceptions.

I think that's why some men complain about a "drop" in sexual activity after marriage in some cases. Those women who really aren't that into it, and there are more of them than men might imagine going by the confidences I've heard at women's only gatherings with a little bit of wine, just start to say no more often. Short sighted on their parts to some extent.

you're probably right
and though distance has decreased, men will never properly understand women and vice versa

some women have surprised me with their openness though, and it was a pleasant experience

This thread seems to we centered on 1st world western interrelations of sex, gender, and socioeconomic status.
What about the 3rd world, and non western cultures, and their sexual/gender, dynamics?
Arranged marriages or 2nd rate citizenship for women, are the norm in many Muslim and Hindu majority nations.
In China, sex selective abortion to cull female babies is also widely practiced.

This thread seems to we centered on 1st world western interrelations of sex, gender, and socioeconomic status.
What about the 3rd world, and non western cultures, and their sexual/gender, dynamics?
Arranged marriages or 2nd rate citizenship for women, are the norm in many Muslim and Hindu majority nations.
In China, sex selective abortion to cull female babies is also widely practiced.

Well, it's based on a study of male-female relationships in such cultures.

Unfortunately, in some of the cultures you mention, women have absolutely no power over their own sexuality or conception.

Post deleted.

Last edited:
you're probably right
and though distance has decreased, men will never properly understand women and vice versa

some women have surprised me with their openness though, and it was a pleasant experience

Women differ in how important sex is to them, as do men, of course, yes? Some younger women are more "liberated" shall we say, so more might be open to sex without a long term commitment.

As for older women, divorced or widowed, they still have needs too, some of them, but they might have no desire to marry again for financial or other reasons, and so might be willing to have a sexual relationship as part of a friendship which also brings them companionship.

A young woman is looking for a mate, for someone to share her life with for the long haul. It's just different. I also think that the 'colpo di fulmine' kind of mad, passionate love, where you can't keep your hands off him, and with so much jealousy attached, might not happen very often to older people.

I'm just gonna say that from my experience monogamy is not natural. Sure, women want it way more than men, but it still doesn't feel natural for most. It's the fear of losing someone, finding someone new, biological clock, economical security, etc. that push us (women more) to settle.

Most don't want monogamy, but they want their partner to be exclusive.
In order to get that, they have to be exclusive to their partner too.

Most don't want monogamy, but they want their partner to be exclusive.
In order to get that, they have to be exclusive to their partner too.

You don't mean women, do you? I've been monogamous my entire life and I assure you most women are indeed like me. In my experience, if a woman "cheats" it's usually because she doesn't feel loved, even if she's wrong about that. The reasons are usually "emotional", if you will. With men it doesn't have to be for that reason. There's more of a disconnect, I'd say, between sex and love.

You don't mean women, do you? I've been monogamous my entire life and I assure you most women are indeed like me. In my experience, if a woman "cheats" it's usually because she doesn't feel loved, even if she's wrong about that. The reasons are usually "emotional", if you will. With men it doesn't have to be for that reason. There's more of a disconnect, I'd say, between sex and love.
Actually I believe both men and women at the end want the same, their perfect match and soulmate so they can fully commit for the rest of the life.

I've discussed the topic for years with women and after "pushing and squeezing" the truth always came out that they would all like to have adventures with many guys and this dream of theirs gets fulfilled only while they travel. It's actually 50% of the pleasure of travel and that's because they're in a foreign country and nobody will find out, so they'll have some beautiful moments to cherish for the rest of their lives.

The problem is with the modern society shaming only women for such acts and praising men as being alpha (but sometimes also jerks and manwhore). The difference is that for us men it's easier as it's justified with the fact that "they're men after all, but they will mature and realize", which is BS.

Actually I believe both men and women at the end want the same, their perfect match and soulmate so they can fully commit for the rest of the life.

I've discussed the topic for years with women and after "pushing and squeezing" the truth always came out that they would all like to have adventures with many guys and this dream of theirs gets fulfilled only while they travel. It's actually 50% of the pleasure of travel and that's because they're in a foreign country and nobody will find out, so they'll have some beautiful moments to cherish for the rest of their lives.

The problem is with the modern society shaming only women for such acts and praising men as being alpha (but sometimes also jerks and manwhore). The difference is that for us men it's easier as it's justified with the fact that "they're men after all, but they will mature and realize", which is BS.

Nik, I don't know what to tell you. I don't know any women like that, young or old, although I'm sure there are some. In my experience, a good number of women don't even much like sex, even young ones. Trust me, women tell each other that stuff, even if they would never tell a man, and especially not a man they're hoping to entice into a long term relationship. Women have even perfected "faking it" for decades.

Even women who like it a lot would not necessarily consider traveling so they can have anonymous sex without social repercussions, even leaving aside any moral training. I'm sure there are some, but ALL, or even the majority? I doubt it. Christ, there aren't that many men who even appeal, then think about diseases, and the embarrassment the next morning when you want to get rid of him. Or, if it's someone whom you know, a colleague or neighbor, think of the incredible mess you'd be making. Absolutely not. Plus, to be honest, I've never encountered a man as sexually attractive as my own husband. Why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?

Well, if Raoul Bova, or Antonio Cupo, or Carmine Signorelli, or Luca Calvani, or Daniele Pecci came around? :)
Actually, I'm just kidding. It has to be the whole package: looks, intellect, character, sense of humor etc.

I’m clueless !

Last edited:
US First Couple
Marriage Criteria IMO
Melania: Economic Model.
Donald: Sexual Access.
I’m not criticizing the Pres and the 1st Lady. They’re perfectly fine to me. Whatever makes them happy
but I’m not blind, and neither is Melania, or Donald.
Love is Blind. ( Or is It? )
IMHO

That's not at all what the paper is about when it talks about the "economic" model: it's about who sets the rules about sexual engagement being a function of supply and demand.

Ed. Most of those guys on those campuses are dirt poor and riddled with student debt. Not every woman sells herself to the highest bidder. Some women hold out for commitment even when the young man has no money and no prospects of making any.

Deleted. It Wasn’t funny either. [emoji53]

This thread has been viewed 23437 times.

Back