The origin of the Scots

Ed the Red

Reaction score
This is made as much of history as a hypothesis. For nobody knows for sure they can only equate historical (if true) examples.
Well how 'bout I start with my own research on the subject.
To start, why don't we all agree on some basic facts. That the recent migrations from the steppes added alot of culture as well as genes obviously, to the populations of Europe.
Firstly there may have been tribes that spilled over into Europe in previous migrations from the steppes or Anatolia, or even North Africa, but that is not the concern.
I have researched the movement of possible tribes of steppe Nomadic horseman through time continuum. There is many legends now which DNA will prove undoubtedly. Funny how the Scots themselves wrote these histories In the 1320's, 7 hundred years before the inclusion of any DNA material. I refer back to the Declaration of Arbroath, which states that they came from Greater Scythia. This is a statement which you have to absorb very literally. They do not say they are Scythian, they say they came from Greater Scythia, which should be denoted as a vast area described by Greek writers as being surrounding the black sea, or basically any area from North that would've not been subjagated into any other specific realm. The Scots of today are irrefutably R1b gene carriers. So it has already been established that these genes have come from the steppes. So how do the nobles of 1320 know any of this, when there is no database of gene placement, they were correct weren't they.
Now we have to establish if they seem to know of an area where Greater Scythia was named what was their migration. Well in the many histories of what I have come to learn starts to coincide with written legends. We know that the Irish Gaels and Scots are akin. Well there is also a ln Irish history of the book of Invasions which describes the last invading tribe of Milesians to the island or Ireland. Amazing how these stories might not be 100% accurate things unmistakably coincide. The Gaels were undoubtedly a Celtic tribe. The presence of Celtic genes in Spain is remarkable, they were given a distinction of Celtiberian in Roman times. So did gealic milesians invade Ireland from Spain? That is a very reasonable hypothesis.Milesians are supposed to be interpreted as sons of Mil, or Mils espain soldier of Spain. The other very peculiar thing is that the Declaration of Arbroath also states as Scots travelling by the Tyrrhenian sea? We're the Scots sea farers? Well throughout history they've been documented raiding the shores of Britain from Ireland. Another thing that is of significance is Milesians. Do you know there was an Anatolian port called Miletus and the inhabitants were called Milesians! We all know that Celts inhabited Anatolia as Galatians. Does the timeframe match? It starts to piece together doesn't it

Last edited:
I wonder if there is any connection between the Picts of Scotland and the Pictones of West/Central France along the Bay of Biscay? My French Canadian Mom gets 23% Northern Britain on Gencove and about 1/3 of her French Canadian ancestors are from the Pictone’s area of France.
I think in Latin it means painted ones but many Celtic tribes painted their faces and bodies. Why would Caesar only call this group the Pictones or painted ones?

Last edited:
Why would Caesar only call this group the Pictones or painted ones?

Perhaps they were referring to their skin tone. In physical anthropology, there is reference to what they guessed represented an indigenous British islander phenotype, having a robust frame, large-head described variously brachycephalic in the West to dolichocephalic in the East, a type with somewhat darker pigmentation with long arms but shorter legs. “Paleo-Atlantid” to “Brunn,” also noted for being pilose. There were also supposed “Tydal” variants of Paleo-Atlantid in Scandinavia.

I wonder if there is any connection between the Picts of Scotland and the Pictones of West/Central France along the Bay of Biscay? My French Canadian Mom gets 23% Northern Britain on Gencove and about 1/3 of her French Canadian ancestors are from the Pictone’s area of France.
I think in Latin it means painted ones but many Celtic tribes painted their faces and bodies. Why would Caesar only call this group the Pictones or painted ones?

The Picts are a separate topic, and one that is even more of a mystery than maybe the Scottish Gaels themselves. The Scotti tribes eventually absorbed the Pict's and put their Royal blood lines at the top. Then soon English and then Norman rule would've been in the forefront. But the true Scotti Gaelic tribes are supposedly the ruling class maybe from Kenneth Mcalpin to the house of the Stewart's. I think the research on this site has established that James Stewart has DNA has been confirmed as R1b L21. Correct me if I'm wrong I must go refresh haha.

Hey man if you’re still reading all this, where is the pictone area in regards to Brittany of France? Brittany has always been a Celtic stronghold. And the Picts were already in Scotland as every new invader encountered them. In all honesty I assume they were an early Celtic invasion that is probably most equated with briton celts of the south. I would assume they kept moving north. Almost all of Europe from Galicia Poland to Galicia Spain was Celtic. And that is simple history, they then split all throughput their travels until they reached islands and could not conquer anymore hahaha. Masters of the Iron Age. The First sun worshippers to advance into European lands from the steppes. That’s why Scythian fits very well into their history👍🏻. But Scythians first pushed cimmerians west and so on and so on. I can discuss this for a long time if interested

This thread has been viewed 6805 times.

Back