Nature Labradors and German Shepherds are the most popular dogs in the US

Coriolan

Elite member
Reaction score
I found the official list of most popular dogs in America by the American Kennel Club. It lists all the breeds of dogs and the ranking is available for many years. They say that the Labrador Retriever has been the most popular breed for the last 30 years. The similar Golden Retriever comes in third position. They are also my favourite.

I wonder how much the popularity of dog breeds varies between countries. It would make sense the breeds that were developed in when country are more popular in that country, for example German Shepherds, Rottweilers and Dobermans in Germany, Yorkshire terriers, Beagles and Collies in England and Shih Tzu in China.

I found this DNA chart for dog breeds a couple months ago on a phys.org forum thread. According to it, German Shepards are mostly "Mastifflike", while Labrador Retrievers are almost evenly "Mastifflike", and "Hunter". Both have traces of "Wolflike" and "Herder":

PI9iFtc.jpg

Wolflike:

Zyin0K3b.jpg
P1xZt8Dm.jpg
EESqSH0m.jpg

Herder:

g8OfEHfm.jpg
TYMCdJGm.jpg
2IQVWsgm.jpg

Hunter:

GfBUlRgm.jpg
cJDIpQOm.jpg
ZWGHO9Vm.jpg

Mastifflike:

viyRrU2b.jpg
OgHEGkIm.jpg
TmCjmYcm.jpg

Labs are very loyal which I think is a "hunter" characteristic.

Interesting classification. It's odd that chow-chow or shar-pei are considered wolf-like, but not German shepherds. German shepherds should at least be classified as herders (since they are shepherd dogs). They are nothing like bulldogs or boxers.

As a child my favourite breed was German shepherds and Collies. As a teen we had a Golden Retriever, which became my favourite. I also like Border Collies and Bernese Mountain Dogs.

I did not found about singing dogs,

does anyone knows?

Labradors followed by Golden retriever's are most popular dogs here as far I can see in my country,this dogs are very social one of the reasons people have them.

Labs are very loyal which I think is a "hunter" characteristic.

Labs are great dogs. The smartest dog I ever had was a standard poodle.

Not too long ago I met a woman who was carrying a miniature Italian greyhound. It was love at first sight. :)

I now have "temporary, part-time" custody of a part hound, part Rottweiler, seven month old "puppy", who is already huge. He's a dog I would never have chosen and is difficult to train, ie stubborn as a mule, not only with house breaking, but for heeling for walks, not tearing apart shoes, etc., not digging holes, etc. and has required much consistent and firm handling. We're by no means totally done yet, although the people I meet seem to think he behaves beautifully. I'm not going to be walked "by" the dog, if you know what I mean, and come means come. :)

However, he's also incredibly sweet, affectionate, loyal, excellent with my cats and with children, and also very friendly to other dogs and humans at the dog park or even on his long walks. He's also turning into a fierce and protective watchdog. God pity anyone who comes onto my property uninvited. I used to have a problem with teenagers parking on the woodsy and secluded road on one side of my property to get up to various shenanigans. No more, I can tell you. I have to keep him securely chained up or on leash, which is the law anyway, unless you have an electric fence.

That big baby's favorite place to sleep is right on the bed with me. When he wants to go outside in the morning he licks my hand and arm. Needless to say I'm now in love. When my daughter moves out and takes him with her, I'm going to be extremely upset. Dogs have a way of getting under your skin. I had a friend whom I once accused of loving her dog more than her almost grown children. When I come home and he hurtles toward me, quivering with joy and licking every part of me he can reach because he's so happy that I'm home, I start to understand why. :)

Prior i used to have Sharplaninac,native dog from Balkans,Shar mountains.I think most people in the west don't know about this breed.
This are guard dogs,perfect to guard a property,or farm and flock from predators,being huge is not easy to handle,prior i would advice to be familiar with his character.Dog i won't recomend to have it in the city.

Vane%27s_Sarplaninac_Arkon.jpg

Sarplaninac-1.jpg

Sarplaninac-mommy-and-puppy.jpg

These people have sort of "rated" dogs. I don't know their credentials so I don't know how seriously to take it. I can say I've never "known" a dumb Lab or Golden Retriever or Border Collie.

However, they rate Irish Setters and English Springer Spaniels as smart, whereas my uncle had an Irish Setter and we had a Springer Spaniel, and they were thick as planks.

They rate all hounds as "dumb", including the Rhodesian Ridgeback, who is exactly like my dog except for the coloring. (We found out Polo is all hound, no part of him is Rottweiler) Are they dumb or stubborn? :)

OOpyCIE.png

Rhodesian Ridgeback:

"The formidable Ridgeback can be strong willed, independent, and sometimes domineering. Ridgebacks must be guided with a firm but fair hand from puppyhood. They are faithful friends, protective of their loved ones and meltingly affectionate with those whom they trust. Still, a Ridgeback can be too much hound for the novice dog owner."

Rhodesian-Ridgeback-Images.jpg

Look at this handsome face!

6333e1c50b3dae19e3977283a40e1c56.jpg

Oh, I saw a note about a recent paper where a scientist proved that a Border Collie could discriminate and go and get each and every one of 1022 "toys", upon verbal command. Pretty extraordinary.

Like hounds, though, they're working dogs, and recquire lots and lots of exercise, and are happiest with a "job" to do.

This thread has been viewed 7759 times.

Back