chimu tribe in the Andes : 140 children ritually slaughtered in one single event

It may be a huge number and very systematic, but child sacrifice occurred all over the world in ancient societies, as the researchers agree. Still horrific, of course. I'm not letting my mind visualize it.

I think it's accepted it was mostly done to propitiate the gods in times of trouble, as in Crete at the end of their civilization.

""People sacrifice that which is of most and greatest value to them," he explains. "They may have seen that [adult sacrifice] was ineffective. The rains kept coming. Maybe there was a need for a new type of sacrificial victim.""

I was taught in theology classes that the Hebrews distinguished themselves from the surrounding Canaanites because their god did't permit child sacrifice, and this is the meaning of the Abraham and Isaac story. I always hated it: how cruel to test him that way. It's also, of course, a prefiguration of the Christ story. "For he so loved the world that he sacrificed his only begotten son."

"[FONT=&quot]9 When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]10 Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]11 But the angel of the Lordcalled out to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Here I am,” he replied.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12 “Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13 Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram[a] caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15 The angel of the Lord called to Abraham from heaven a second time16 and said, “I swear by myself, declares the Lord, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring[b]all nations on earth will be blessed,[c] because you have obeyed me.”"[/FONT]

This thread has been viewed 1667 times.

Back