Share your MyHeritage DNA Ethnicity Estimates

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
In 2017 I started a thread encouraging users to share their 23andMe Ancestry Composition to get a better idea of what each admixture corresponds to. This resulted in the making of distribution maps for each European admixture. I would now like to do the same for MyHeritage DNA customers.

Please only share your results if all your ancestors come from the same country! Kindly also mention your ancestral region(s) within that country so that results can be classify more accurately.

I got an estimate of ethnicity from MyHeritage obtained by uploading the raw data of 23andme on their calculator: is it useful?

In any case these are my results (family roots from Italy= Eastern Emilia/Romagna):

- Southern Europe 87,2% (Italian 75,2% + Iberian 12%)

- Northern and Western Europe 10,8%

- Ashkenazi Jewish 2%

(It's the only calculator that gives me back some jewish lineage, although my family hasn't those origins)

mine.....Veneto Italy
Europe 100.0%
South Europe70.2%
Italian70.2%
East Europe15.6%
Balkan13.3%
East European2.3%
North and West Europe14.2%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh14.2%
Father has 58% italian and 23% irish ....the rest similar
"ancient"Moldovian seems to be the theme for the family when east european is mentioned as a %

Me:

South Europe:

-Greek-75.3%
-Italian- 8.2%

East Europe
-Balkan- 16.5%

Father:From Okshtun i Vogel, Diber, Albania

South Europe:
-Greek-98%
-Italian- 2%

Mother:
Puka, Albania

South Europe:
-Greek-62.3%
-Italian- 1.9%

East Europe
-Balkan- 35.8%

My Results: Father Roccanova, Basilicata & Mother Cattolica Eraclea, Sicilia

Europe 66.8%

31.9% Greek
19.2% Sardinian
7.4% Iberian

5.3% Baltic

3% Ashkenazi Jewish

Africa 22.6%

22.6% Sephardic Jewish-North African

Middle East 10.6%

10.6% Middle Eastern

You would think that My Heritage, based as it is in Israel, would be more accurate when it came to assigning Jewish genes to Italians.

Italians and Jews share certain genes.

You would think Italians are all partly Ashkenazi or Sephardi if you trusted My Heritage's algorithm.

Middle Eastern 44.5%

Yemenite Jewish 27.3%

North African 22.4%

Ashkenazi Jewish 3.5%

Somali 1.4%

Melanesian 0.9%

--------------------------------

I hope this is not supposed to be an estimation of recent ancestry, because if it is, then it is quite ridiculous, I don't have Yemeni Jewish ancestors, nor Ashkenazi, nor North African.

And aren't Yemeni Jews Middle Eastern? why do they have a separate category?

You would think that My Heritage, based as it is in Israel, would be more accurate when it came to assigning Jewish genes to Italians.

Italians and Jews share certain genes.

You would think Italians are all partly Ashkenazi or Sephardi if you trusted My Heritage's algorithm.

Well, not all the Italians score Ashkenazi or Sephardi on My Heritage. And maybe it's the opposite, being based in Israel, My Heritage could tend to overstimate Jewish ancestry. For example LivingDNA is based in Great Britain and tend to overstimate British ancestry in non-British people.

Well, not all the Italians score Ashkenazi or Sephardi on My Heritage. And maybe it's the opposite, being based in Israel could tend to overstimate Jewish ancestry. For example LivingDNA is based in Great Britain and tend to overstimate British ancestry in non-British people.

I definitely agree with you that My Heritage does overestimate Jewish ancestry.

My Results: Father Roccanova, Basilicata & Mother Cattolica Eraclea, Sicilia

Europe 66.8%

31.9% Greek
19.2% Sardinian
7.4% Iberian

5.3% Baltic

3% Ashkenazi Jewish

Africa 22.6%

22.6% Sephardic Jewish-North African

Middle East 10.6%

10.6% Middle Eastern

This calculator doesn't seem ideal for south Italians, that's a very poor model. If it were any better you would've scored italian and lots of it.

Mine, Romanian from the Moldavian region

c67bf6a60a.png

Mine ( Bulgarian)

[FONT=&quot]Eastern Europe
Balkan 74.1 %
South Europe
Greek 19.6%
Italian 1.4%
Ashkenazi Jewish
Ashkenazi Jewish 4.6%

[/FONT]

This calculator doesn't seem ideal for south Italians, that's a very poor model. If it were any better you would've scored italian and lots of it.
Given the results of Azzurro, I wonder if MyHeritage uses reference samples from South Italy too or just from North and perhaps Central Italy. My parents are North Italian in ancestry, and we get a substantial Italian % in this calculator (between 40 and 60%).

Mine – FTDNA data

Europe: 100.0%
*South Europe: 55.0%
- Italian: 49.9%
- Greek: 5.1%
*North and West Europe: 30.9%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 30.9%
*East Europe: 14.1%
- Balkan: 14.1%

Mine – 23andMe data

*South Europe: 57.4%
- Italian: 56.3%
- Iberian: 1.1%
*North and West Europe: 27.3%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 27.3%
*East Europe: 15.3%
- Balkan: 15.3%

Father – 23andMe data

*South Europe: 59.3%
- Italian: 57.2%
- Iberian: 2.1%
*East Europe: 22.2%
- Balkan: 22.2%
*North and West Europe: 18.5%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 18.5%

Mother – 23andMe data

*East Europe: 45.3%
- Balkan: 45.3%
*South Europe: 42.5%
- Italian: 41.1%
- Iberian: 1.4%
*North and West Europe: 12.2%
- North and West European: 10.4%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 1.8%

These results resemble a bit our DNA Land's.

Middle Eastern 44.5%

Yemenite Jewish 27.3%

North African 22.4%

Ashkenazi Jewish 3.5%

Somali 1.4%

Melanesian 0.9%

--------------------------------

I hope this is not supposed to be an estimation of recent ancestry, because if it is, then it is quite ridiculous, I don't have Yemeni Jewish ancestors, nor Ashkenazi, nor North African.

And aren't Yemeni Jews Middle Eastern? why do they have a separate category?
I know right?? In fact, aren't Yemeni Jews Bedouin like? It's insane to put them apart from other middle easterners.

This calculator has ways to go

I agree it makes no sense that I get ZERO, I am curious what is the reference population they use for Italy.

Given the results of Azzurro, I wonder if MyHeritage uses reference samples from South Italy too or just from North and perhaps Central Italy. My parents are North Italian in ancestry, and we get a substantial Italian % in this calculator (between 40 and 60%).

Mine – FTDNA data

*South Europe: 55.0%
- Italian: 49.9%
- Greek: 5.1%
*North and West Europe: 30.9%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 30.9%
*East Europe: 14.1%
- Balkan: 14.1%

Mine – 23andMe data

*South Europe: 57.4%
- Italian: 56.3%
- Iberian: 1.1%
*North and West Europe: 27.3%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 27.3%
*East Europe: 15.3%
- Balkan: 15.3%

Father – 23andMe data

*South Europe: 59.3%
- Italian: 57.2%
- Iberian: 2.1%
*East Europe: 22.2%
- Balkan: 22.2%
*North and West Europe: 18.5%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 18.5%

Mother – 23andMe data

*East Europe: 45.3%
- Balkan: 45.3%
*South Europe: 42.5%
- Italian: 41.1%
- Iberian: 1.4%
*North and West Europe: 12.2%
- North and West European: 10.4%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 1.8%

These results resemble a bit our DNA Land's.

I am curious to know as well, I doubt MyHeritage uses Southern Italians in their reference population for Italy, I have several matches that score zero Italian like me or lower than 10%.

Does it make a difference buying the MyHeritage Kit vs uploading 3rd parties RawData ?
Has anybody tried and compared both Results ?

I am curious to know as well, I doubt MyHeritage uses Southern Italians in their reference population for Italy, I have several matches that score zero Italian like me or lower than 10%.
Yeah you scored nothing in that category, strangely. You're more Sardinian than italian by this test.

Regarding what Pax Augusta said, it seems more suitable for Jewish people, everybody seems to score relatively high Sephardim or Ashkenazi in this test

Yeah you scored nothing in that category, strangely. You're more Sardinian than italian by this test

I’m heeeariiiing, that for MyHeritage most Apulians are the “Children of Leonidas of Sparta”. lol (Greekish)
Something it ain’t right with their Results. (ain’t lol). :)

This thread has been viewed 49318 times.

Back