PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely the best tomato sauce

Angela
07-06-18, 02:50
Yes, in my humble opinion. :) Be aware, this is not southern "marinara" sauce. It's "northern" sauce, as in north of Rome sauce.

I'm not showing a sauce made from fresh tomatoes. Frankly, I have no idea why there are tons of recipes and videos for sauce made with fresh tomatoes. In America, and in most central and northern European countries from what I've seen, the only time you can find decent tomatoes for eating or sauce is at the end of the summer when you can, for a few weeks, get locally grown, sun-ripened sweet tomatoes, if indeed they're grown. The rest of the time they're a mushy, totally tasteless mess. Plus, they have to be blanched and peeled and preferably de-seeded before using, so it's tons more work and mess.

I, my mother, all my relatives, use tinned "crushed" plum tomatoes (passata, in Italian), or tinned, jarred, whatever, whole plum tomatoes, which you crush by hand before using. I really urge you to, if at all possible, use imported San Marzano plum tomatoes. They're meaty, not acidic, already peeled, and almost seedless, with a wonderful taste. It makes a big difference, I promise. Cans of tomato puree, which I see in American supermarkets, is too thin, imo.

The only you tube video, strangely, which does it "our" way is by Giada. It must be because American tastes have been formed by southerners. Don't get me wrong: I really like marinara sauce, but I would never personally use it on pasta. You should try this more delicate version.

Here she is. You can see the ingredients. For a bigger pot, which I use, just double and triple, whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJsg6j5_3ic

Why she's calling it mirepoix instead of sofrito I have no idea. It's an Italian dish, not French. Add the vegetables all at once as well: she's going to burn that onion and garlic. As soon as the garlic, of which I use only one clove, has released its oils and softened, I remove it. Use very low heat as well, and cook only until the aromatics are translucent, not brown. That's when you add the tomatoes. Let it slowly bubble away for an hour. At the end I usually add some chopped Italian parsley for freshness or basil on occasion. However, American basil is very bitter compared to Italian basil. It tastes much more "minty" to me. So, I grow my own in a pot in half sun/half shade. If you buy it, use the smallest leaves.

When I add it to pasta I add a big knob of cold butter. It enriches the taste and emulsifies the sauce.

Best marinara sauce on the internet, imo, is that of Lidia Bastianich:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1m4ti2BQvI