Planning a European trip, any suggestions?

Wheal

Reaction score
Ethnic group
a true mutt
Y-DNA haplogroup
Pat-U106-H11a10
mtDNA haplogroup
H5a1b
My husband just surprised me with a desire to travel to Europe for 14 days. Any suggestions for destinations and times of year that would be best? He has indicated the British Isles are his most desired location.

My husband just surprised me with a desire to travel to Europe for 14 days. Any suggestions for destinations and times of year that would be best? He has indicated the British Isles are his most desired location.

That's great Wheal! There are so many wonderful places to see. It all depends if you want to do a few cities across Europe as a whole or concentrate on one country. It also depends if you've been there before and want to go somewhere new, if you want to book a guided tour (some are better than others) or hire a car and go on your own, for which you might want to have a smattering in the language of the country.

Same with seasons. If you want to do a cruise, summer is best. In countries like Italy or France, summers (July and August especially) are very hot and it's very crowded. Spring is lovely but can be rainy. I usually recommend September and October. If it's England, I think summer is maybe the best chance for drier, reasonably warm weather.

Lots of decisions, but it's all very exciting, anyway. :)

I think it will be early October, and I think he would love one of the cruises, maybe, he gets bored easily when he's not entertained.

I think it will be early October, and I think he would love one of the cruises, maybe, he gets bored easily when he's not entertained.

Have you guys been on one before? I just ask because our cruise was a bit of a disaster. :) My husband got seasick and he hated being confined to the ship. I think he got a little claustrophobic. He used to go to the track at the top of the ship and jog for an hour a couple of times a day. I don't get it myself. I love being at sea, but he said he hated the fact that if he wanted to get off he couldn't. I never got seasick for a second either; in fact, when we got back I had sea legs because I'd adjusted so well. For once I was the stronger one. :)

As a result, I cruised the Greek Islands with some girl friends. I highly recommend that as a cruise, btw. Great food, fantastic scenery, great things to see.

Best period for South Europe.

I've been on a cruise, never got sick, and I had sea legs at the end of the week, too. Strangest feeling. I do worry about my husband, but I think he would be ok, but I worry some about that. We had a small boat when we were married, and both water skied quite a bit.

@ Berun, where do you suggest for fall in Southern Europe?

Perhaps you should visit France or Italy. There are very few tourists during the early autumn, so you can easily visit all the sights.

This thread has been viewed 5573 times.

Back