Possible Norman cemetery found in Sicily

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I emphasize "possible". I certainly hope they will use more context than stereotypes about size and build. There's a lot of tall, robust Lombards who moved to Sicily as well.

See:
https://www.archaeology.org/news/6796-180717-sicily-medieval-cemetery

"WROCLAW, POLAND—Science in Poland reports that researchers led by Sławomir Moździoch of the Polish Academy of Sciences have discovered a medieval cemetery in Sicily, near the ruins of the church of San Michele del Golfo. After examining the bones from ten of the graves, the researchers were able to classify just five of the dead as three women and two children. The size and build of the bones suggests they may have been Normans from northern France, who conquered the island in addition to parts of southern Italy. “In the second half of the eleventh century, the island was recaptured from the Arabs by a Norman nobleman, Roger de Hauteville,” Moździoch explained. The church, which resembles those found in Western Europe, is also thought to have been built at this time, at a strategic location on a hill. Coins minted in Champagne and Lucca have been discovered within it. "

I hope that could be discovered their ydna or mtdna and ancestry composition in order to get more info about them...

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

I think these are archaeological excavations at the ruins of the church of Santa Maria di Campogrosso, also known as San Michele del Golfo, in the "comune" of Altavilla Milicia, province of Palermo.

Polish and Italian archeologists made excavations both inside and outside the ruins of the church, and found a cemetery near the church with at least 17 buried.

52jxrPI.jpg

053YOdg.jpg

wIOGzDG.jpg

S. Moździoch, T. Baranowski, B. Stanisławski, Rapporto preliminare della I campagna di scavi archeologici condotti nel sito della Chiesa di Santa Maria di Campogrosso (San Michele del Golfo) – Altavilla Milicia-PA, Notiziario Archeologico Soprintendenza Palermo, n. 19/2017

https://www.academia.edu/31541127/S...rcheologico_Soprintendenza_Palermo_n._19_2017

The ruins of the church of Santa Maria di Campogrosso, also known as San Michele del Golfo.

chiesazza2.jpg

kedhFvA.jpg

0dChwQ4.jpg

nyvjrru.jpg

vXylBr6.jpg

I would love to have a translated version of the story if someone has a link.

This thread has been viewed 7657 times.

Back