Addictions Lifetime cannabis use examined.

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Maybe I've just never looked at the science, but I find some of this surprising. Some of the associated behaviors make sense, however.

See:
Joelle A. Pasmin et al:
"[h=1]GWAS of lifetime cannabis use reveals new risk loci, genetic overlap with psychiatric traits, and a causal influence of schizophrenia"[/h]https://www.nature.com/articles/s41593-018-0206-1

I really wish the paper wasn't behind a pay wall. The supplementary material is available, however.

"Cannabis use is a heritable trait that has been associated with adverse mental health outcomes. In the largest genome-wide association study (GWAS) for lifetime cannabis use to date (N = 184,765), we identified eight genome-wide significant independent single nucleotide polymorphisms in six regions. All measured genetic variants combined explained 11% of the variance. Gene-based tests revealed 35 significant genes in 16 regions, and S-PrediXcan analyses showed that 21 genes had different expression levels for cannabis users versus nonusers. The strongest finding across the different analyses was CADM2, which has been associated with substance use and risk-taking. Significant genetic correlations were found with 14 of 25 tested substance use and mental health–related traits, including smoking, alcohol use, schizophrenia and risk-taking. Mendelian randomization analysis showed evidence for a causal positive influence of schizophrenia risk on cannabis use. Overall, our study provides new insights into the etiology of cannabis use and its relation with mental health."

I wonder though if cannabis use has different effects depending on the person using it. For example, alcohol use, and the flush that East Asians predominately experience. Perhaps cannabis use has more of an adverse effect on certain people.

I wonder though if cannabis use has different effects depending on the person using it. For example, alcohol use, and the flush that East Asians predominately experience. Perhaps cannabis use has more of an adverse effect on certain people.

I learned there is actually an enzyme supplement pill that people can take to avoid getting the flush if they do experience it.

I take a lactaid pill now, which is also an enzyme, before I consume anything with lactose.

This thread has been viewed 5734 times.

Back