The saga of Dante's remains

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
It's quite a story, but what I would really like is for someone to ask permission to test them.

https://www.thelocal.it/20180914/dantes-tomb-italy-ravenna-florence

Both monuments, in Firenze and Ravenna, are worth visiting.

I think Ravenna has a point. Firenze kicked him out, Ravenna embraced him. Those are the breaks.

359xNxdante-memorial-santa-croce-florence.jpg.pagespeed.ic._h-AuRrqLx.jpg

Ravenna_Dante_Alieghri_tomb-758x1024.jpg

His house in Florence is, sadly compared to the rest of the city, a complete let down. Still worth a visit though!

Some people are not museum goers apparently. Flashy tombs constructed much later in history aren't going to look much like a reconstructed 13th century house.
museo-casa-di-dante-bg.jpg

That reconstruction also contains other important things of course, but I guess it takes a more scholarly mind to appreciate them.

http://www.museumsinflorence.com/musei/Dante_house.html

I don't know why I got downvoted so hard, I'm a hardcore museum goer (I spent FIVE hours in the Uffizi, for example), and it really was not impressive at all. Even our organiser said if we didn't have time it wasn't worth going to.

I don't know why I got downvoted so hard, I'm a hardcore museum goer (I spent FIVE hours in the Uffizi, for example), and it really was not impressive at all. Even our organiser said if we didn't have time it wasn't worth going to.

I think I know why.
Low level English speakers, misunderstood the reference “sad” and “complete let down”.
They thought that you bashed the all City, including the House.
I’ll up vote you, it’s not their fault. :)

I think I know why.
Low level English speakers, misunderstood the reference “sad” and “complete let down”.
They thought that you bashed the all City, including the House.
I’ll up vote you, it’s not their fault. :)

It's not just that, some members on here get on edge really easily and need to calm down - and absolutely love exercising any form of snobbery to belittle opinions that differ from theirs (even when, at least with the visual arts and classical music especially (for this example vaguely connected to culture), I could pretty much take on anybody here in some kind of pointless "knowledge battle"). No names of course, as per the rules, but these people need to chill out and learn to ignore, or debate, but never silence unless it is absolutely necessary. It sets a really bad precedent for the forum - TheApricity is a much more extreme example, and was always less "professional" than Eupedia, but it shows what can go wrong. Loki literally bans people who go vaguely against his belief in Christianity.

This thread has been viewed 6991 times.

Back