Heredity All psychological traits are partially heritable

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
That includes intelligence, personality, self-control, mental illness, criminality, political views...

I'm tempted to say "tell me something I didn't know". Well, I guess I just did. :) Anyone who really looks at families realistically, not clouded by political ideology, would know that. I'm turning into my father more and more as I age. Adopted children are not like their parents.

Of course, these academics who found the proof for that had better be careful. We're turning into Sweden, and in Sweden a professor has been fired to teaching that there are "biological" differences between men and women. I assume he meant other than the obvious, but who knows in this day and age? :) If he had gotten into other things, what would they have done? Executed him?

See:

"Genetic influence on human psychological traits"
http://www18.homepage.villanova.edu...hology/zCurrDir4200/CurrDirGeneticsTraits.pdf

More and more of these metadata studies are being done, which is good.

It's not biological determinism, although things like intelligence and schizophrenia get pretty close, so we are impacted by environment and life experiences, of course. Check out the figures for intelligence, age 50.

jj2muaj.png
[/IMG]

cmq3kNS.png
[/IMG]

That includes intelligence, personality, self-control, mental illness, criminality, political views...

I'm tempted to say "tell me something I didn't know". Well, I guess I just did. :) Anyone who really looks at families realistically, not clouded by political ideology, would know that. I'm turning into my father more and more as I age. Adopted children are not like their parents.

Of course, these academics who found the proof for that had better be careful. We're turning into Sweden, and in Sweden a professor has been fired to teaching that there are "biological" differences between men and women. I assume he meant other than the obvious, but who knows in this day and age? :) If he had gotten into other things, what would they have done? Executed him?

See:

"Genetic influence on human psychological traits"
http://www18.homepage.villanova.edu...hology/zCurrDir4200/CurrDirGeneticsTraits.pdf

More and more of these metadata studies are being done, which is good.

It's not biological determinism, although things like intelligence and schizophrenia get pretty close, so we are impacted by environment and life experiences, of course. Check out the figures for intelligence, age 50.

jj2muaj.png
[/IMG]

cmq3kNS.png
[/IMG]

Leftists like to boast that they're champions of science, when it comes to stuff like climate change. Yet they're willfully ignorant of the most obvious and non-trivial biological differences between people. Because it violates their false narratives of total egalitarianism, and the idea of everything being nurture, over nature. Essentially they're lysenkoist.

The column "Heritability", how is it decomposed into mom and dad? I mean, people do not "inherit" in general, but they inherit from either mom or dad.

I recall somewhere (but I do not know if this statement is true or not) that intelligence is inherited more from the mom than from the dad.

Is there some data on the "inheritability coefficient" (something like a slope coefficient in a linear regression) for intelligence, coming from mom and dad, separately? Is it 0 strictly from the father?

Some of these behaviours are simply learnt. The age old saying, "monkey see, monkey do". I am like my father, my sibling is like our mother but we're not the exact same personality or what not as our parents. They're the same parents. Genetically if issues were exactly hereditary we'd be carbon copies of one another & our parents.

Some of these issues, like schizophrenia & ADHD as examples, can have a higher risk potential if using certain prescription drugs, if prescribed too early, or abusing recreational drugs. Read the "small print" or get educated in medication / pharmaceuticals to realize that some aren't as great as the doctor would have the ill-educated/ill-read/easily manipulated believe.

Addiction being hereditary is the latest ongoing trend. I would assume this idea is based on "research" by psychologists who spend maybe an hour a week with patients and have no exact hands on experience with addicts. I worked at an addiction treatment facility. Worked with patients 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for a number of years. The only hereditary aspect I saw of addiction was early exposure by addicted parents/relatives. Nothing specifically gene related.

I know some of the patients came from families where not a single other member had addiction problems but whose addiction was fostered by:
  1. shoddy pain management such as a patient who was cut off cold turkey after a bad car accident & months of high-level pain management,
  2. peer pressure among friends, getting involved with the wrong crowd, etc.,
  3. prostitution

If addiction was specifically gene related, as this article says of other issues and as said has been the ongoing thing nowadays, a friend whose biological parents were long-term addicts (he was adopted at birth) would have dropped out at high school like both parents did. He would have croaked out on smack (/heroin) years ago like his biological father did. He would need dialysis like his biological mother does. He most certainly would not have a good career, he would not be married to a good woman, and he would not be raising two fantastic kids if his "faulty" genes meant he was destined to be nothing more than an addict.

I wondered about that too.

This is what they say:

"In most, but not all, of these studies, estimates of genetic and environmental influences were obtained from studies of twins."

At the present time, the only way they can screen out the factor of environment is through the study of identical twins raised totally separately.

"There is no evidence for sex differences in heritability for IQ at any age"

I doubt the "cognitive function" genes only come through the mother, although we may find the proportion is higher for her side.

In my own family, there are lots of engineers on my mother's side, and my brother is an engineer and a mathematician, yet my father was also exceptionally gifted in math. I'm more verbal and less mathematical than my brother, but while my father and his family are highly verbal, so were many members of my mother's family. In personality I am turning into my father, but in terms of other traits I can see my mother in me. I think loss of estrogen or progesterone changes us all once we reach midlife.

"There do not appear to be genderdifferences in the heritability of schizophrenia. Major depression isless heritable (about .40) than schizophrenia. Men and women sharemost, but not all, genetic influences for depression. Panic disorder,generalized anxiety disorder, and phobias are moderately heritable,and the effect is largely additive, with few if any sex differences. Theheritability of alcoholism is in the range of .50 to .60, mostly becauseof additive genetic effects. Findings regarding the possibility of sexdifferences in the heritability of alcoholism are mixed."

Psychological features are hereditary. Not all psychological features are hereditary. But some - such as love to work, laziness are hereditary.

Swedish study looks at the heritability of psychiatric traits:

myTQ1QO.png
[/IMG]

I guess all those old women in my village were correct: check out the family history and be careful whom you choose to marry and to be the father or mother of your children.

This thread has been viewed 5508 times.

Back