R-f2935

xri34

Reaction score
Hello, do you know what is the origin of R-F2935? I think it is a subclade of R-Z93 which is mostly Asian. I read though in eupedia that this subclade is European and Anatolian.

Hello, do you know what is the origin of R-F2935? I think it is a subclade of R-Z93 which is mostly Asian. I read though in eupedia that this subclade is European and Anatolian.

According to Yfull it appears as the parent branch of a Turk, 2 Balkars from Russia, a Englishman and a Scott. I would say Scythian maybe. Then again who knows. Z93 was found in a Thracian burial but I believe it was basal and not connected to modern Z93. The other day a Greek user in the R1a groups turned out to be a basal clade under M420 and negative downstream. So hes R1a1* pretty ancient. Perhaps Proto-Greek, or Persian in his case(as this is believed where M420 originated).

Actually, I received some days ago my 23andme results and the report informed me that my R-F2935 stems from R-M420 and its subclade R-M512. I suppose Scythian is possible but as a Greek I think that Proto-Greek or Thracian are possible as well.

Actually, I received some days ago my 23andme results and the report informed me that my R-F2935 stems from R-M420 and its subclade R-M512. I suppose Scythian is possible but as a Greek I think that Proto-Greek or Thracian are possible as well.

Anything is possible. It is old enough to theoretically be possible any ways. So far the only Thracian R1a so far that was found in a burial was Z93 under M417. The Z93 of this Thracian was not typical of modern Z93 so it may be typical to this Bronze Age Thracian sample.

According to Yfull it appears as the parent branch of a Turk, 2 Balkars from Russia, a Englishman and a Scott. I would say Scythian maybe. Then again who knows. Z93 was found in a Thracian burial but I believe it was basal and not connected to modern Z93. The other day a Greek user in the R1a groups turned out to be a basal clade under M420 and negative downstream. So hes R1a1* pretty ancient. Perhaps Proto-Greek, or Persian in his case(as this is believed where M420 originated).

There's also a Ukrainian and a Spaniard. I'm the person of English descent you mentioned. There's another person of English descent (my closest match at FTDNA, separated by perhaps 1,000 ybp), who hasn't yet added his kit to YFull. How our possibly common ancestor got to England is a mystery, with some suggesting a Sarmatian origin. 5,500 Sarmatians were sent to England by the Romans in 175 C.E.

Also of interest is the fact that men who are F2935+ are the closest relatives of the R1a Ashkenazi Levites (R-CTS6), though not themselves of Jewish ancestry.

xri34 may want to take the Big Y-500 to learn more about his specific placement under R-F2935.

There's also a Ukrainian and a Spaniard. I'm the person of English descent you mentioned. There's another person of English descent (my closest match at FTDNA, separated by perhaps 1,000 ybp), who hasn't yet added his kit to YFull. How our possibly common ancestor got to England is a mystery, with some suggesting a Sarmatian origin. 5,500 Sarmatians were sent to England by the Romans in 175 C.E.

Also of interest is the fact that men who are F2935+ are the closest relatives of the R1a Ashkenazi Levites (R-CTS6), though not themselves of Jewish ancestry.

xri34 may want to take the Big Y-500 to learn more about his specific placement under R-F2935.

thats a good point. Forgot about that. Sarmatian origin seems more probable in this case.

This is very interesting! Sarmatian origin is very possible. It makes sense that people from Ukraine and Russia have Sarmatian haplogroup since their land was from north balkan untill Caucasus. Many Sarmatians were assimilated by Goths so F2935 probably arrived to Spanish by Visigoths.

Last edited:
Anything is possible. It is old enough to theoretically be possible any ways. So far the only Thracian R1a so far that was found in a burial was Z93 under M417. The Z93 of this Thracian was not typical of modern Z93 so it may be typical to this Bronze Age Thracian sample.
This is the kit of the Thracian you were talking about, right? He is autosomally identical to the Proto-Indoeuropean from the steppes! I compared our kits at gedmatch and I found out that we share common DNA segments!

R-F2935>F1019 was found in the paper on Ancient Rome:
Sample R1548, Monterotondo, 27 BCE-300CE (Imperial Rome) - R-Z93>F2935>F1019

In terms of auDNA, this sample was clustering somewhere between Southern Italians and Cypriots. So he had a SE shift.

In terms of auDNA, this sample was clustering somewhere between Southern Italians and Cypriots. So he had a SE shift.
Very interesting! I tested myself and my final clade under R-F2935 is R-YP4768. I did not expect R-F1019 to be found in ancient Rome because it has an Asian distribution. It has been found in China,Kazakhstan, Balkars of Caucasus and a Balkan Turk. One thing I think is if this sample is connected to Scythians or Thraco-Cimmerians or if he was a descendant of a nomad?

I ran this sample on Vahaduo. He seems a mix of ancient Scytho-Sarmatian tribes with ancient Levantine, North African and Minoan input. So he was probably a descendant of a Scythian/Sarmatian from Eurasian steppes who moved to South Europe.

This thread has been viewed 9238 times.

Back