23andme Mediterranean Results

xri34

Reaction score
Hello, some days ago I received my 23andme dna results. My results are mostly Balkan but they indicate some ancestory from each region of the Mediterranean Sea which I found interesting. I have also a very small percentage of East Asian and Native American which I believe is turkic.
[h=3][/h]
  • [h=5]European[/h][h=5]91.8%[/h]

• [h=5]Balkan[/h][h=5]77.5%[/h]

[h=6]Greece[/h]

• [h=5]Italian[/h][h=5]9.2%[/h]

[h=6]Italy[/h]

• [h=5]Iberian[/h][h=5]0.2%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly Southern European[/h][h=5]4.8%[/h]

• [h=5]Western Asian & North African[/h][h=5]7.4%[/h]

• [h=5]Western Asian[/h][h=5]4.9%[/h]

• [h=5]North African & Arabian[/h][h=5]1.9%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly Western Asian & North African[/h][h=5]0.5%[/h]

• [h=5]East Asian & Native American[/h][h=5]0.3%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly Northern Asian & Native American[/h][h=5]0.3%[/h]

• [h=5]Unassigned[/h][h=5]0.5%[/h]

Interesting. My great-grandfather's parents were from Sicily, and until the update to 23 and Me this summer I had 0% Italian! It was all Balkan and Broadly Southern European. Now it is 2.0% Balkan, 2.0% Italian, 1.6% Iberian, and 5.1% Broadly Southern European. My Nana said that her Sicilian-born grandmother could speak Greek, so perhaps she was of the small Greek minorities that live in Southern Italy and that is where the Balkan came from.

Yes, Sicily has been from the ancient times a mosaic of ethnicities and cultures with a large Greek population! If you have Sicilian ancestry it makes sense to have Iberian and Balkan ( which is very possibly Greek) Dna. It also makes sense to exist in my results Italian and Western Asian but I was a little surprised by North African and Iberian which is not very common to Greek people.

This thread has been viewed 4310 times.

Back