Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
[h=2]Cap‐Score™ prospectively predicts probability of pregnancy[/h]Abstract

Semen analysis (SA) poorly predicts male fertility, because it does not assess sperm fertilizing ability. The percentage of capacitated sperm determined by GM1 localization (“Cap‐Score™”), differs between cohorts of fertile and potentially infertile men, and retrospectively, between men conceiving or failing to conceive by intrauterine insemination (IUI). Here, we prospectively tested whether Cap‐Score can predict male fertility with the outcome being clinical pregnancy within ≤3 IUI cycles. Cap‐Score and SA were performed (n = 208) with outcomes initially available for 91 men. Men were predicted to have either low (n = 47) or high (n = 44) chance of generating pregnancy using previously‐defined Cap‐Score reference ranges. Absolute and cumulative pregnancy rates were reduced in men predicted to have low pregnancy rates versus high ([absolute: 10.6% vs. 29.5%; p = 0.04]; [cumulative: 4.3% vs. 18.2%, 9.9% vs. 29.1%, and 14.0% vs. 32.8% for cycles 1–3; n = 91, 64, and 41; p = 0.02]). Only Cap‐Score, not male/female age or SA results, differed significantly between outcome groups. Logistic regression evaluated Cap‐Score and SA results relative to the probability of generating pregnancy (PGP) for men who were successful in, or completed, three IUI cycles (n = 57). Cap‐Score was significantly related to PGP (p = 0.01). The model fit was then tested with 67 additional patients (n = 124; five clinics); the equation changed minimally, but fit improved (p < 0.001; margin of error: 4%). The Akaike Information Criterion found the best model used Cap‐Score as the only predictor. These data show that Cap‐Score provides a practical, predictive assessment of male fertility, with applications in assisted reproduction and treatment of male infertility.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/mrd.23057

Article:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-10-men-fertility.html

I suppose it must differentiate between number of sperm and whether they're mobile, and the ability of the sperm to penetrate the egg.

This is probably part of the reason why there are couples who are infertile, but there didn't seem to be any reason given the tests then available.

isn't there a test to check sperm mobility?

isn't there a test to check sperm mobility?

Yes, there is; it tests number of sperm and mobility.

Still, there's a percentage of couples where that test and all the tests on the woman come back negative, and yet the couple can't conceive.

I've read articles where they have found that some of that may be due to a hyperactive immune response to some or all sperm. This issue with sperm may be another factor.

so, what could it be that prevents the sperm to penetrate the egg?
is it the sperm, or the egg, or incompatibility between sperm and egg?

so, what could it be that prevents the sperm to penetrate the egg?
is it the sperm, or the egg, or incompatibility between sperm and egg?

I don't know. I don't know if anyone knows yet.

The "incompatibility" that I've read about has to do with a woman's auto-immune response being abnormally high, seeing the sperm as a "foreign" body, and literally killing it.

However, anecdotally, I've heard of situations where the in vitro fertilization using the husband's sperm didn't "take", but using donor sperm did work. I could never do it, but couples do.

I don't know. I don't know if anyone knows yet.

The "incompatibility" that I've read about has to do with a woman's auto-immune response being abnormally high, seeing the sperm as a "foreign" body, and literally killing it.

However, anecdotally, I've heard of situations where the in vitro fertilization using the husband's sperm didn't "take", but using donor sperm did work. I could never do it, but couples do.

yes, I was asking myself,
could there be situations where both man and woman are not infertile per se, but they are just incompatible between each other?

it's the anecdote you've heard of, I guess

Yes, that is right. When immunological incompatibility of partners is observed, doctors can resort to the donor's sperm replacement method for IVF.
I believe that this approach has the right to be possible. Often couples try to conceive for so long time that this is the only possible way out.
My husband and I went through this. My body was rejected by eggs fertilized by husband's sperm. Unfortunately, we had to take donor sperm. But at the time of IVF, I was already 39 years old - this is not the most favorable age for the first pregnancy. Therefore, we went for it. Now we are raising two boys. Who knows how life would be if we didn’t try this method ...

This thread has been viewed 6463 times.

Back