Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I'll start with a little music to get you in the mood:

Who doesn't LOVE Beetlejuice??????

Shake Senora:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic87SfqQAAM

Adams family music: At least you can still dress as these characters. I always liked Elvira too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6QzbvH-ZNo

How about the Monster Mash?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2PoSljk8cE&list=RDl2PoSljk8cE

Ghostbusters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU4qbnNmxWA

Thriller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA

HalloweenMap_2018_key-989x1024.jpg

Of course, Disney Princesses are less popular. They think you can train women out of being more passive. Maybe a bit, imo, but estrogen will have it's way eventually, at least until your mid-forties to fifty.

Couples ideas that I liked: Dracula and his bride, Gangster and his moll, Gambler and dance hall girl, Morticia and Gomez, Catwoman and Batman, Cleopatra and Marc Antony, The Phantom and Christine, etc. I used to see people go as Raggedy Anne and Raggedy Andy, Minnie and Mickey Mouse, Red Riding Hood and the Wolf. I probably just dated myself. :)

Most popular candies this year: nationally, it's Reese's Pieces by a mile. The American love affair with peanut butter continues unabated. I still can't eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but even I like them, and I love Snickers.

2018%2F03%2F22%2Fcb%2F0fbc8e68972a4a83ac7779e16ace4967.4011d.png

Reese is probably my favorite chocolate by far. Followed by Snickers, and Butterfinger.

I did most of my celebrating the weekend leading up to it. We went to a haunted house, and a haunted hay-ride. Both of them were a lot of fun. I think if I had done it by myself, I would have probably been a bit scared. I noticed the actors targeted people who looked especially terrified. But I was cool and collective, and had a big smile on my face the whole time.

Yesterday, we just stayed in and watched the parade on TV.

3 Musketeers!!!!! Yes Reese's is good but needs milk. As for non chocolate candies, Skittles all the way

Didaction to RƎƎSƎ’S and Ԁǝɐunʇ Bnʇʇǝɹ!
I Like Twix and Kit-Kat. :grin:

As I said, Snickers, Reese's', butterfinger, and for non-chocolate, sour patch and skittles. Those were my favorites. God, what junk, never keep it in the house, but I have to say, when I was younger and brooding, a Snicker's bar, and preferably frozen, really hit the spot. My tastes have gotten more highbrow. Now I like Lindt chocolate for a you can always find it, reasonably priced, good tasting milk chocolate.

I really love any combination of chocolate, caramel and nuts, but they don't give that out in Halloween style pieces.

Happy Post-Hallowe'en All Saint's Day. I love everything hallowe'en, which goes back to Samhain.

I used to go all out with this holiday with iconic decorations, celebrations and dressing up but it has somehow tapered off in the last few years. I'm not sure why although, fall tends to get so busy and Canadian thanksgiving is early in the year compared to the U.S. not to mention other "hunkering down for winter activities" that take time and get more arduous as you age. I do miss having the time and energy to take part.

I have always been the candy-chooser and door answerer and adore seeing the little ones and what they are dressed as. When my kids were...well, kids...I made their costumes (as to their stipulation of persona) every year from the time they could walk until early teens and I still have them all.

Trends for my area costumes and what I gave out:

Superheroes are nudging out animals for the younger set. Being an animal lover, these were so much joy to see kids dressed in. The first costume I made was a white rabbit. I also made wildcat. My 18 month old grand nephew by marriage was in a super-hero costume this Hallowe'en and thought I would die from love it was too much. Thanks to social media I get to have my wanna-be-grandma fix until I finally will be one, hopefully before I die. ;) The cutest at my door was a 2 year old Hulk. We live in an older established area, so do not get many kids at the door for Hallowe'en.

I always make treat bags as opposed to random candy dump. This year I included 2 Cadbury mini chocolate bars (Wunderbar, Mr. Big, Caramilk and Crispy Crunch), Swedish berries, Sour Peaches, 2 Starburst, 2 Skittles, and 2 Rockets.

Mr. Big and Starburst are my own favourite. Does anyone know of a European candy that is similar to Starburst? I recall this from when I was kid, but forget the name.

EDIT: Fruitopia! :biggrin: Walking through the supermarket today, I glanced at a display of Starburst candy on sale, and it came to me. I love it when the answer to some dumb thing just whacks me over the head.

Last edited:
I saw a Christmas commercial yesterday. I wanted to throw a brick at the tv screen...why can't it wait until when we're even NEAR thanksgiving?

I saw a Christmas commercial yesterday. I wanted to throw a brick at the tv screen...why can't it wait until when we're even NEAR thanksgiving?

Oh, Dave. Try to hold yourself together. Haven't you noticed? Christmas starts after Labour Day now. I know it's crazy, but no sense in ruining a perfectly good tv. ;)

Oh, Dave. Try to hold yourself together. Haven't you noticed? Christmas starts after Labour Day now. I know it's crazy, but no sense in ruining a perfectly good tv. ;)
Lol. You seriously saw Christmas commercials shortly after Labor Day? At this rate Christmas will begin after July 4th

btw not to single out Christmas. I would say the same for say, Halloween if commercials with THAT holiday theme started airing in August

Lol. You seriously saw Christmas commercials shortly after Labor Day? At this rate Christmas will begin after July 4th

btw not to single out Christmas. I would say the same for say, Halloween if commercials with THAT holiday theme started airing in August

No, not commercials. I don't watch commerical tv - just Netflix or OnDemand. But, I do see Christmas merchandise out earlier and earlier in the stores. Maybe we are slowly moving into a 365 day year-round holiday-diversity new epoch.

This thread has been viewed 4583 times.

Back