Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
"Genetic Consequences of Social Stratification in Great Britain":

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2018/10/30/457515

"Human DNA varies across geographic regions, with most variation observed so far reflecting distant ancestry differences. Here, we investigate the geographic clustering of genetic variants that influence complex traits and disease risk in a sample of ~450,000 individuals from Great Britain. Out of 30 traits analyzed, 16 show significant geographic clustering at the genetic level after controlling for ancestry, likely reflecting recent migration driven by socio-economic status (SES). Alleles associated with educational attainment (EA) show most clustering, with EA-decreasing alleles clustering in lower SES areas such as coal mining areas. Individuals that leave coal mining areas carry more EA-increasing alleles on average than the rest of Great Britain. In addition, we leveraged the geographic clustering of complex trait variation to further disentangle regional differences in socio-economic and cultural outcomes through genome-wide association studies on publicly available regional measures, namely coal mining, religiousness, 1970/2015 general election outcomes, and Brexit referendum results."

Some of this should be self-evident. When economic hardship is present, unless unskilled or low skilled laborers are deliberately sought for other low-skilled jobs, it's the most intelligent and educated, as well as the most brave, who migrate for better opportunities.

"
Migration is behavior, and since most behavioral traits have heritable components,8 migration is likely tobe associated with genetic variants that influence behavior. Long-distance migratory events may in turnresult in admixture. Internal migrations (i.e., migrations within countries) may lead to geographicclustering of trait-associated genetic variants beyond the clustering of ancestry and may occur for a variety of reasons."

"
It has been argued that geographic clustering of complex trait genetic variation in UK Biobank isdue to (subtle) ancestry differences or ascertainment bias.27 We discuss in more detail in theSupplementary Material why these are unlikely to be the sole explanations of our observations(paragraph: Population Stratification and Ascertainment Bias). In the next paragraph, we explore the morelikely explanation, namely recent internal SES-related migrations."

I haven't thoroughly checked their methodology, but I don't buy some of this at all. We know schizophrenia is genetic from identical twin studies, wherever and by whomever the identical twins were raised. The same is true for ADHD, IQ scores etc.

kKqgPVL.png
[/IMG]

Sorry i disliked the topic not for you Angela, but i cannot read anything comming or explaining actual Great Britain. It's a place so divised in multiple points nowadays that those studies, are not good to take.

And I'd guess that "coal mining areas" are not high in institutes of higher learning. If the smart kids have to leave to further their higher education, they're less likely to return if professional opportunities befitting their degrees are lacking. Families moving to find better schools for higher-performing children is also very common.

This thread has been viewed 2023 times.

Back