Reaction score
Ethnic group
Danish, British, Czech, Campanian, German
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L51
mtDNA haplogroup
H2a1
Deeper Y-DNA testing

What's up guys, I got a question regarding Y-DNA haplogroups and I'm hoping someone can help. I'm new to this so forgive me for any mistakes.

I've used Family Tree (family finder+37) and 23&me DNA tests, now on FTDNA my Y-DNA is R1b M-269 while 23&me narrowed it R-L51. My uncle (father's brother) is also on 23&me but his Y-DNA was narrowed to R-CTS4065 which is odd since that's part of R1b-DF27 and that seems to be clustered in SW France & NW Iberia and my paternal ancestors are from N England (Yorkshire). My question is what good tests are available for Y-DNA testing. Should I upgrade my FTDNA Y-37 to a Y-67, will that give me more info than 23&me did on my Haplogroup or no? Are LivingDNA and NatGeo any better? Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
What's up guys, I got a question regarding Y-DNA haplogroups and I'm hoping someone can help. I'm new to this so forgive me for any mistakes.

I've used Family Tree (family finder+37) and 23&me DNA tests, now on FTDNA my Y-DNA is R1b M-269 while 23&me narrowed it R-L51. My uncle (father's brother) is also on 23&me but his Y-DNA was narrowed to R-CTS4065 which is odd since that's part of R1b-DF27 and that seems to be clustered in SW France & NW Iberia and my paternal ancestors are from N England (Yorkshire). My question is what good tests are available for Y-DNA testing. Should I upgrade my FTDNA Y-37 to a Y-67, will that give me more info than 23&me did on my Haplogroup or no? Are LivingDNA and NatGeo any better? Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any advice would be appreciated.

I noticed your post has had many views but no replies. This is a late reply, but I wouldn't have been able to reply back when you posted. Since then, I have taken the Big Y-700 through FTDNA. It was expensive, and I wasn't sure how useful it would be, but I have no regrets. It has exceeded my expectations.

Of the FTDNA tests, only the Y-700 clearly identifies your haplogroup at the terminal branch level. FTDNA has a large database of other testers, so you are more likely to find matches to your haplogroup than with some other tests. There are also many surname projects where people can share information and refine their shared tree.

My haplogroup was previously unidentified. Early on, only two other testers shared it. Now there are ten new haplogroups downstream and 19 other testers in my haplogroup, thanks to an active surname project that recruits and sometimes subsidizes new related testers.

I recommend biting the bullet and upgrading to the Y-700 if you haven't already done so.

This thread has been viewed 4433 times.

Back