Places to go in Italy in 2019

Florence is beautiful, went there last Summer and was well worth it (4-5 days is probably best, a week at the very max)

So many tourists though! You have to book everything in advance if you want to avoid the big lines, unless you like waiting for 7 hours

Florence is beautiful, went there last Summer and was well worth it (4-5 days is probably best, a week at the very max)

So many tourists though! You have to book everything in advance if you want to avoid the big lines, unless you like waiting for 7 hours

Years ago, I spent almost one year in Florence, two or three times a month we did the “Ronda” (MP Patrol), to Control the Territory, and to provide safety and security to Tourists.

... You’re welcome

Years ago, I spent almost one year in Florence, two or three times a month we did the “Ronda” (MP Patrol), to Control the Territory, and to provide safety and security to Tourists.

... You’re welcome

They were more civilized then. It's becoming unbearable in the summer in places like Rome and Florence and Venice.

They were more civilized then. It's becoming unbearable in the summer in places like Rome and Florence and Venice.
I agree, It seems as if the Protocol of Tourism Behaviour has been broken.

The last time I was in Florence was three years ago, I don’t now if they took care of it since, but I noticed a yellowish hue in the colors and a lower sparkle in the marble buildings.

Florence is beautiful, and the Monumental buildings glow and sparkle when the Sun shines on the City. :)

I agree, It seems as if the Protocol of Tourism Behaviour has been broken.

The last time I was in Florence was three years ago, I don’t now if they took care of it since, but I noticed a yellowish hue in the colors and a lower sparkle in the marble buildings.

Florence is beautiful, and the Monumental buildings glow and sparkle when the Sun shines on the City. :)

I loved it before I saw it, learning to dance to songs like this (although the singers I heard were Narciso Parigi and Carlo Buti from my grandmother's old records). Being there just sealed the deal. :)

I spent two weeks there once by myself, at a B&B with a huge garden but still on the bus line. It was heaven, as my only complaint about Firenze other than the tourists is that unless you really know the old city well, there aren't that many places that are really green unless you're near the Boboli Gardens, which are, of course, magnificent.

IMGP03561.jpg

I wrote about tourists three years ago. I still think it's funny. Not like the drunken louts fighting or relieving themselves in the street, who are decidedly NOT funny.

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...aints-about-sites-in-Italy?highlight=tourists

I was at the center of Fiorence.

Used to be called Rep. Com. RMTE (la Simoni)

pA6ASA3.jpg

R54GiGv.jpg

I was at the center of Fiorence.

Used to be called Rep. Com. RMTE (la Simoni)

pA6ASA3.jpg

R54GiGv.jpg

Nice. :)

Now I like to stay on the Pitti Palace side near the Gardens, but when I was a student and even traveling with my husband in our back-packing days, we always stayed in a pensione built out of an old monastery facing the Ospedale degli Innocenti. It was blessedly quiet there tucked away behind the Duomo, no cars allowed in the square, and we had a little terrace for morning coffee while looking at the Della Robbia plaques. In those days it was still an actual Italian neighborhood too, with little artisan shops and kids riding their bikes and playing futball in the square. No more.

I'm off even the centro in the last years, even if I go in winter. Apple stores and Victoria's Secrets and an Eatitaly for goodness' sake. Even off season you're tripping over university students with New York accents.

The article is right. If you've seen all the sites and museums, better to go someplace like Vinci, or over into Umbria. It's not quite as over-run.

vinci-italy-city-wallpaper.jpg

Todi is a lovely town and it's beautiful countrside. It holds a warm place in my heart because we went to see it the first time we rented a car in Italy. My husband put diesel fuel in the car! Don't ask. A garage owner in to do paperwork on a Sunday took pity on us and drained it out of the car. I had two babies. He even had us follow his car to get on the right road. My husband has never forgotten that he put on a beautiful, pressed, snow white coat to work on the car...he looked like a surgeon. :) Bless him. It's funny now, but it wasn't then.

Santa_Maria_della_Consolazione_%28Todi%2C_Umbria%2  C_Italia%29.jpg

Spello is gorgeous too, and Spoleto. Parts of Spello are so beautiful you can't believe it's real.
spello5.jpg

Gubbio looks like something that should be in Game of Thrones and the food is spectacular: lots of meats, pasta with truffles and on and on.
gubbio_1.jpg

Concert in Cortona: is there anywhere else in the world where so many average people would be able to sing opera? :) I don't think Rieu was any too pleased, but you're not going to stop an Italian crowd from singing along.

A Vacation without any problem will fade away from memory. lol

When traveling, I used to be less demanding, I rarely did camping, but even so, as time goes by, I’ve reach a point that my ideal camping is a Marriott. :)

This thread has been viewed 8246 times.

Back