Gender stereotyping doesn't affect math scores

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
Paulette Flore et al

"[FONT=&quot]The effects of gender stereotype threat on mathematical test performance in the classroom have been extensively studied in several cultural contexts. Theory predicts that stereotype threat lowers girls’ performance on mathematics tests, while leaving boys’ math performance unaffected. We conducted a large-scale stereotype threat experiment in Dutch high schools ([/FONT]N = 2064) to study the generalizability of the effect. In this registered report, we set out to replicate the overall effect among female high school students and to study four core theoretical moderators, namely domain identification, gender identification, math anxiety, and test difficulty. Among the girls, we found neither an overall effect of stereotype threat on math performance, nor any moderated stereotype threat effects. Most variance in math performance was explained by gender, domain identification, and math identification. We discuss several theoretical and statistical explanations for these findings. Our results are limited to the studied population (i.e. Dutch high school students, age 13–14) and the studied domain (mathematics)."

what is stereotype threat?

Lots of psychology and sociology papers in the last years have proposed that, on average, girls do less well in math than boys because society tells them it isn't feminine. The corollary would be that boys do less well in subjects where verbal aptitude is important because they're told it isn't manly.

While it's true that happens, I believe men's and women's brains, "on average", are quite different. I don't think societal stereotyping is the main reason there are fewer female engineers than male engineers. This paper would seem to support that.

People get too hung up on what "the average" of any group does or is, imo. Each individual should be judged on his or her own merits.

Lots of psychology and sociology papers in the last years have proposed that, on average, girls do less well in math than boys because society tells them it isn't feminine. The corollary would be that boys do less well in subjects where verbal aptitude is important because they're told it isn't manly.

While it's true that happens, I believe men's and women's brains, "on average", are quite different. I don't think societal stereotyping is the main reason there are fewer female engineers than male engineers. This paper would seem to support that.

People get too hung up on what "the average" of any group does or is, imo. Each individual should be judged on his or her own merits.

I watched a few video's of Jordan Peterson on the subject.
He says the efforts more are done to minimize societal effects between men and women, the more obvious 'biological differences' become.
That would have been proven by multiple studies and tests.
Sweden would be an example of this, where even more males and less females become engineers and even less males and more females are occupied in nursing.

But in this study, I wonder how they can find out what the influence of performance threat is.
Nobody seems to be counterdicting him.

I watched a few video's of Jordan Peterson on the subject.
He says the efforts more are done to minimize societal effects between men and women, the more obvious 'biological differences' become.
That would have been proven by multiple studies and tests.
Sweden would be an example of this, where even more males and less females become engineers and even less males and more females are occupied in nursing.

But in this study, I wonder how they can find out what the influence of performance threat is.
Nobody seems to be counterdicting him.

So sorry, Bicicleur. It would have helped if I'd given you the link to the paper, yes?

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23743603.2018.1559647

It's in direct contradiction to the many papers based on a very few samples and with very shoddy methodology.

I think in western society the influence of gender stereotyping is overestimated and biological differences underestimated.
It fits a certain ideologies which has infiltrated on all levels.
People don't read scientific papers, at best they read scientific journalism, but many get their 'wisdom' from the internet and gossip.
I'm afraid certain ideologies have even infiltrated in schools and are indoctrinating our youth.
Well, I guess that has always been the case, more or less, only now it is other ideologies.

This thread has been viewed 5687 times.

Back