FTDNA Major DNA Testing Company Sharing Genetic Data With the FBI [FTDNA]

Archetype0ne

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian
Y-DNA haplogroup
L283>Y21878>Y197198
"The decision by a prominent consumer DNA-testing company to share data with federal law enforcement means investigators have access to genetic information linked to hundreds of millions of people.

FamilyTreeDNA, an early pioneer of the rapidly growing market for consumer genetic testing, confirmed late Thursday that it has granted the Federal Bureau of Investigation access to its vast trove of nearly 2 million genetic profiles. The arrangement was first reported by BuzzFeed News."

I am considering not mailing my FTDNA sample and requesting a refund. This was always a worry, and for some reason sub consciously this is why I have not mailed it yet...

But such shame... voluntarily handing over consumers D N A to authorities. That is a red line that should not be crossed.

Thanks to FTDNA the FBI database doubled.

I hope you citizens of the US sue these people for what they do with your data.
I know if I had mailed my SAMPLE I would be writing a letter to FTDNA and speaking with my lawyer.

SHAME

(
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-01/major-dna-testing-company-is-sharing-genetic-data-with-the-fbi)

Last edited:
Eh, they'll only use it to help solve crimes. I can't think of anything dystopic that could reasonably come from this, although it is a disgrace they didn't even ask for permission.

Eh, they'll only use it to help solve crimes. I can't think of anything dystopic that could reasonably come from this, although it is a disgrace they didn't even ask for permission.

Strange, coming from you. I would have thought that a person with your genetic background should have Heightened Sensitivity Peaks.

Sweeping History under the rug is dangerous.

Imagine if the Nazis still had power with access to your RawData: Your Post would not exist!

My raw data... yeah I am worried about.

But people being able to tell DNA connection to my whole Fis... cause I wanted to test my "DNA"... that's a big no for me.

I should be the only one making the trade off privacy /certainty... and not hand over the genetic markers for my whole tribe to some agency in the US... OR ANYWHERE.

What this means is if they have your data... and had your 2ce removed Uncle/Nephew committed a crime... they can match your Uncle/Newphew to the crime through you...

OK. That person might have committed a crime. But what if he hasn't?

DNA evidence is pretty strong in the court of law...

I would not want my curiosity to potentially doom people, when the only connection, they might have with me is blood.

Since they do not ask for your consent, it is a theft of personal data!

Since they do not ask for your consent, it is a theft of personal data!

Yes... to my eyes, it's worse than anything Edward Snowden exposed. It's Brave New World come true.

How could I do a DNA test without having to go through an established company, in order to protect privacy?

This thread has been viewed 4135 times.

Back