Left Handedness and Combat

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/555912v2

"[FONT=&quot]Left-handedness is a costly, sexually dimorphic trait found at low frequencies in all human populations. How the handedness polymorphism is maintained is unclear. The fighting hypothesis argues that left-handed men have a negative frequency-dependent advantage in fighting giving them a selective advantage. In support of this, many studies have found that left-handed men are overrepresented in combat sports, but studies typically find no difference in fighting success between left and right-handed fighters. We studied over 9800 professional boxers and mixed martial arts fighters of varying abilities in three of the largest samples to test this hypothesis to date, finding robust evidence that left-handed fighters have greater fighting success. This held for both male and female fighters, and for both percentage of fights won and an objective measure of fighting ability. We replicated previous results showing the left-handed fighters are strongly overrepresented in professional combat sports, but left-handed fighters did not show greater variance in fighting ability, a hypothesis suggested in previous studies. Overall we find strong evidence consistent with the fighting hypothesis."[/FONT]

I'm left handed and I play tennis.
It's an advantage.

Are you left footed as well? My dad was predominantly left handed (except for writing) and also predominantly left footed, as in for soccer, but he could play leading with either foot and he always said it was a big advantage.

EDITED
never mind.
Angela beat me on timing in asking a similar question.
Again LOL

Wow, I'm left-handed. Let me just tell my brother the results of this study, hold on just a minute... lol

I am left handed,but playing football i use my right leg more,in martial arts however i can use them both and find no difference.

Are you left footed as well? My dad was predominantly left handed (except for writing) and also predominantly left footed, as in for soccer, but he could play leading with either foot and he always said it was a big advantage.

I am completely left, handed and footed.
I am more muscular on my left side. I don't know whether this is the cause or the consequence of me being lefthanded.

Me and my wife are both lefthanded, but my children are all righthanded, allthough not 100 %.

I am completely left, handed and footed.
I am more muscular on my left side. I don't know whether this is the cause or the consequence of me being lefthanded.

Me and my wife are both lefthanded, but my children are all righthanded, allthough not 100 %.
I'm also left dominant but my right hand and foot are stronger when weightlifting. It's strange, left side is far more agile, usable but right side is stronger. It is known that my last name comes from people who served in kings Calvary for generations(likely Calvary archers as that was the dominant type in western Georgia) wonder if that legend holds any truth to it and how it would actually affect gene expression.

Humm... Both left-handed and right-handed use to play with right-handed, the majority. So, right-handed don't use to play with left-handed, making it more difficult for them?
I'm right-handed, but I naturally used my left leg for jumping in basketball. In soccer (not my first sport), it was the right leg. Left is stronger than the right though, while the right arm is stronger than the left.

I am right handed, except for driving (I only use my left hand most of the time; the right one being used to change gears, I just let it rest on the side in standby). I learned to play racket sports (tennis, badminton, ping pong) with my left hand as well, just to see if I could, and to leave some chance to weaker opponents (like my wife lol).

I am right handed, except for driving (I only use my left hand most of the time; the right one being used to change gears, I just let it rest on the side in standby). I learned to play racket sports (tennis, badminton, ping pong) with my left hand as well, just to see if I could, and to leave some chance to weaker opponents (like my wife lol).

I know some righthanded tennisplayers who, when the ball passes on their left out of reach, quickly change hand and hit lefthanded.
It happens so fast, you won't even notice.

In the Greek phalanx, warriors operated side by side. They had a sword or a spear in their right hand, and in their left a shield to protect not themselves, but their comrade on their left side.
I wonder how a lefthanded would have fit in.

I'm left handed and I play tennis.
It's an advantage.

Using the right hand/foot is the rule while using the left is the exception. When we play, fight, etc, we are used to face up with people who use the right and consequently our reflexes and a series of instinctive actions are used to these kinds of situations. When we face a person who uses the left, we find ourselves disoriented. For this it takes some time to get used to this anomalous situation. And certainly this favors the person who uses the left.

Using the right hand/foot is the rule while using the left is the exception. When we play, fight, etc, we are used to face up with people who use the right and consequently our reflexes and a series of instinctive actions are used to these kinds of situations. When we face a person who uses the left, we find ourselves disoriented. For this it takes some time to get used to this anomalous situation. And certainly this favors the person who uses the left.

Yes. In, e.g, boxing, nine out of ten of your opponents will be right-handed, so you prepare accordingly. You are ill-prepared when you face the one left-handed boxer, with his "inverted guard". But that tenth boxer will have faced one left-handed boxer in ten, and nine right-handed boxers, so he'll be used to your tricks, and will have a definite advantage.

I'm also left dominant but my right hand and foot are stronger when weightlifting. It's strange, left side is far more agile, usable but right side is stronger. It is known that my last name comes from people who served in kings Calvary for generations(likely Calvary archers as that was the dominant type in western Georgia) wonder if that legend holds any truth to it and how it would actually affect gene expression.

It's the same with me. "Fine" and accurate movements are best done with the left hand and foot, but I feel like my right hand and feet are better at "coarse" movements related to sheer strength. I'm curious about what could explain that difference.

It's the same with me. "Fine" and accurate movements are best done with the left hand and foot, but I feel like my right hand and feet are better at "coarse" movements related to sheer strength. I'm curious about what could explain that difference.

it's not the case with me
both movement controll and strength are better on my left side

I'm right-handed, I have a left-handed brother. All the force is from the left side. On the left side I have noticed the perception, I usually turn automatically when someone looks at me from behind and I always turn to the left side, sciatica, all the ills happen to me on the left side.

At least I know I'm not the only freak out there =))

This thread has been viewed 12072 times.

Back