PDA

View Full Version : I1 in the Balkans

AdrianPiskovic
27-07-19, 02:49
I have completed a Y-DNA test with FamilyTreeDNA, and they came up with the conclusion that I am apart of the I1 Haplogroup. This confuses me as my paternal DNA comes from Hercegovina. Could anyone explain why I maybe be apart of I1 and not I2a?

Ownstyler
27-07-19, 03:02
I have completed a Y-DNA test with FamilyTreeDNA, and they came up with the conclusion that I am apart of the I1 Haplogroup. This confuses me as my paternal DNA comes from Hercegovina. Could anyone explain why I maybe be apart of I1 and not I2a?

Hi Adrian. There is nothing strange with this result. Actually there are quite a few men in the Balkans who belong to the I1 Haplogroup, and certain areas have more than others. The most likely scenario is that your paternal ancestor arrived to the Balkans with one of the Germanic peoples that settled or passed through in the Migration Period.

spruithean
27-07-19, 03:44

Nice to see another I1 person around! Your result is not unusual at all, maybe less common, but not unusual. As Ownstyler said, it could be due to Germanic activity during the Migration Period, notably Eastern Germanic tribes such as Goths, Gepids, etc who could be the source for I1 in the Balkans (to name only 2 tribes, there were other Germanic populations settled as foederati within the Roman Empire.

Tutkun Arnaut
27-07-19, 09:37

I1 is present at about 7-8% in territories of Albanian speakers, more pronounced in South Albania. One possible origin is Visigoths who stood for about 200 years in the area. Serbia also I have read on their internet forums has between 8-9% I1. But I1 in Slavic countries is not necessary Germanic. Slavs could have Slavicized the I1 people the same way Germans did, who are predominantly R1b. But as for other haplogroups, also I1 is not strictly Germanic. To have an idea check the I1 tree ,where your deep clade fits where do people with the same clade reside.

Gabriele Pashaj
27-07-19, 12:15

You need not to be worry because it’s normal to have a haplo that’s unusual in your area . People have just mixed during centuries . Nothing is unusual in your haplo .

Sent from my iPad using Eupedia Forum (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=89698)

Mir
30-07-19, 16:46
I got my DNA test today and have the i1 as well, and I am from Bosnia too. Very surprising. I thought there's a good chance I'd have i2, but this really was out of the blue. The i2 though also came from somewhere in north-eastern Europe, so there is not much of a difference in terms of migration patterns of the two haplogroups, I would say. Both are the only native European haplogroups out there, so that's really awesome!

kozorog
15-08-19, 21:16
Well, I am from Croatia and my result is I-M253. Lots of population changes in last few centuries around here.

I1a3_Young
27-08-19, 18:07
Welcome to the club. Most Balkan I1 falls into the Z63 or P109 groups.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Eupedia Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=89698)

Voodoo_89
27-10-19, 15:53
Hi everyone, I'm new. Just got my tests and it's I1a-Z59 which is quite surprising because I'm from Croatia and I was born in Bosnia.
This looks like the place to share this, I totally get you Adrian I was also confused :)

I'm thinking either Goths which passed through this area, also Osthrogoths ruled in Balkans (Istria, Dalmatia etc...) or Saxon miners which came to Bosnia in 13th and 14th century.