Direct Descendant of Charlemagne

HeartShapedTail

Reaction score
Many European people can claim to have Charlemagne as an ancestor, and be correct. Fewer still can easily trace their DNA to the first emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
When I was young, my mother reconstructed our family lineage, and successfully, accurately, managed to trace our line all the way back to Charlemagne.

We are direct descendants. I found this so cool that I had to share it

Its believed most Europeans descend from Charlemagne, and many people make such claims, but the problems they then have, is to actually proving it. Advances in DNA technology, will soon be able to dissprove, or prove these claims.

I'm not aware of any royal blood in my ancestors.
I guess my ancestors were all Republicans :)

Actually:

Thomas Jefferson (Republican)
1743-1826
PATERNAL MATCH

Abraham Lincoln (Republican)
1809-1865
PATERNAL AND MATERNAL MATCH

Napoleon
1769-1821

Richard III
1452 – 1485

Queen Victoria
1819-1901
MATERNAL MATCH

Marie Antoinette
1755-1783
MATERNAL MATCH

Maria Theresa
1717-1780
MATERNAL MATCH

got more, but I stop here:
https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...-Helix-Version?p=574835&viewfull=1#post574835

Last edited:
What was the Y haplogroup of Charlemagne? Who know it?

What was the Y haplogroup of Charlemagne? Who know it?

It is most likely R1b-S21(U106). It's an Haplogroup common among Germanic conquerors of the late Roman Empire.

Some Arabs in North Africa may have some genes from Charlemagne.

Since Charlemagne lived over 1,200 years ago, 40 or more generations back, it's quite plausible that nearly all Europeans and many others descend directly from him. We each have more than a trillion lineages of ancestry going back 40 generations. However, we have only inherited segments of our DNA through about 3,000 of those lineages. That's less than one lineage in 300 million.

Most people who descend from Charlemagne would probably descend from him through more than one lineage, but you would have to descend from him though hundreds of millions of lineages to be confident of inheriting even one small segment of DNA directly from him. Those who have inherited DNA directly from him are essentially a random sample of his hundreds of millions of descendants.

Now you may share a segment of DNA with Charlemagne through a common ancestor further back (a Neanderthal ancestor, for example), but that's not the same as inheriting DNA directly from him.

Now you may share a segment of DNA with Charlemagne through a common ancestor further back (a Neanderthal ancestor, for example), but that's not the same as inheriting DNA directly from him.

Agree!

and:
Charlemagne could have given directly single or multiple DNA segments through one or more related downstream (to him) lineages, what doesn't exclude that a lot of today European people could have NO DIRECT DNA heritage from him. Humaity has not always been a global homogenous mating circle. That isn't to say there is not a lot of Charlemagne's descendants who are at the same time descendants of a lot of other ancestors! But this discontinued mating fields complicate the mathematical calculations.

"mathematical calculations": of probability - I was thinking in another thread about possible Charlemagne descendants.

This thread has been viewed 6504 times.

Back