Dementia-Can you modify your risk?

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Good news: yes.

Bad news: only if you have low or moderate genetic risk for it; not if you have high genetic risk for it.

Like every other disease, probably. Depressing, but true.

See:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-019-0547-7

"The exact etiology of dementia is still unclear, but both genetic and lifestyle factors are thought to be key drivers of this complex disease. The recognition of familial patterns of dementia has led to the discovery of genetic factors that have a role in the pathogenesis of dementia, including the apolipoprotein E (APOE) genotype and a large and still-growing number of genetic variants1,2. Beyond genetic architecture, several modifiable risk factors have been implicated in the development of dementia3. Prevention trials of measures to halt or delay cognitive decline are increasingly recruiting older individuals who are genetically predisposed to dementia. However, it remains unclear whether targeted health and lifestyle interventions can attenuate or even offset increased genetic risk. Here, we leverage long-term data on both genetic and modifiable risk factors from 6,352 individuals aged 55 years and older in the population-based Rotterdam Study. In this study, we demonstrate that, in individuals at low and intermediate genetic risk, favorable modifiable-risk profiles are related to a lower risk of dementia compared to unfavorable profiles. In contrast, these protective associations were not found in those at high genetic risk."

My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at 80 years old and died at 84 years old. The genetic report by MyHeritage says that I have an increased risk for the disease due to genetic predisposition. I take care of myself, but the truth is that the future is in God's hands. The whole family says I am a clone of my father, because I look like much him. The only difference is that I am a little lighter because of my mother, who was very light and blond.

7pb2Id9.jpg

6OOv7Hr.jpg

WFPyZtX.jpg

iwwyEvr.jpg

dS2pN1W.jpg

[h=1]What Causes Alzheimer's? We Don't Really Know Yet[/h][FONT=&quot]"Scientists don't really know yet. Alzheimer's is likely not simply the result of one cause, but rather a combination of genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors, Patira told Live Science. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For example, a mutation in a gene called ApoE is thought to increase a person's risk for developing late-onset Alzheimer's, but it does not cause it, Patira said. When people who have taken genetic tests come in with a concern that they have this gene, Patira tells them, "it does increase your risk, but it does not guarantee anything."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ApoE plays a role in how cholesterol moves through the blood, according to the National Institutes of Health. Some evidence suggests that people with high blood pressure and high cholesterol have an increased chance of developing Alzheimer's."
--
Keeping a healthy diet may help: avoid sugar and grains, focus on healthy saturated fat from meat, increase organ meats and small fish intake (sardines, mackerels, cod liver oil, wild salmon), avoid or limit alcohol consumption. And use your brain as often as possible to slow down its deterioration - by reading, learning new skills, practising a musical instrument… that kind of thing.[/FONT]

This thread has been viewed 3924 times.

Back