Beauty and Success (Do they always go hand in hand?)

Jovialis

Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
Beautiful people tend to have a lot more luck in the work world.

Research has shown people deemed attractive get paid more, receive better job evaluations and are generally more employable. It's even been shown that good-looking CEOs bring better stock returns for their companies.

In part, this may be because companies believe consumers are more likely to buy things from beautiful employees, which is perhaps why retailers like Abercrombie & Fitch use looks as criteria in their hiring process.

There's some evidence, however, that this worker "beauty premium" may be wearing off—at least when it comes to employees who interact with consumers.

We found that how close a consumer felt toward the waiter correlated with how they rated the quality of service they received. That is, if they felt distance from the waiter, they were more likely to give him or her poor marks. Furthermore, we found that people who thought the server was attractive but were themselves not good-looking—using our objective beauty assessment—were more likely to feel distance.

https://phys.org/news/2019-09-beautiful-people-dont-workplace.html

I think the scientific term for that cohort of people is called Haters :LOL:

So apparently beauty can help you find employment, and be advantageous in high-powered jobs. But it can work against you in the service sector, because insecure ugly customers will project their animosity towards you.

Last edited:
I think the scientific term for that cohort of people is called Haters :LOL:

So apparently beauty can help you find employment, and be advantageous in high-powered jobs. But it can work against you in the service sector, because insecure ugly customers will project their animosity towards you.

I would bet women are more likely to feel that way.

For me, it depends on the "type" of beauty. If the woman sales person, professional, whatever, is beautiful in a natural way and seems sincere I'm more likely to like her.

On the other hand, it she's wearing a long platinum wig, garish, overdone make-up, her blouse is open to her navel, and she has 2 inch talons instead of nails, especially with DESIGNS on them, it's good-bye sweetheart. :)

Believe it or not that's what a trust and estates lawyer I was recommended to looked like. The consultation lasted ten minutes. I called the man who recommended her and asked if he'd taken leave of his senses. I wouldn't trust her to keep an eye on the corner candy store; she'd be too busy fixing a chip in one of her nails. :)

I feel the same about my doctors, all of whom are women at this point in my life. I wouldn't trust a slovenly, overweight doctor, but I don't want them to look like one of the Kardashians either. They have a higher, more serious calling, and I like them to look the part. It inspires more confidence.

Maybe if you're selling tires to garages platinum Barbie might work, on the other hand, going by the calendars they have up. :)

This thread has been viewed 2839 times.

Back