PDA

View Full Version : how did my haplogroup come to north england?

YRD3
12-11-20, 14:42
hi. I am from north England and my haplogroup is J1a2b2 [J1-Z1884]. i heard it is common in the middle east, north africa and south italy. my family have lived here and in ireland for hundreds of years and i have an english surname. does anyone have an idea how i got this haplogroup?
sorry if anything is confusing, i am no expert at this :)

Wanderer
14-11-20, 00:51
Join a ftdna project and ask administrators

TaktikatEMalet
15-11-20, 22:13
hi. I am from north England and my haplogroup is J1a2b2 [J1-Z1884]. i heard it is common in the middle east, north africa and south italy. my family have lived here and in ireland for hundreds of years and i have an english surname. does anyone have an idea how i got this haplogroup?
sorry if anything is confusing, i am no expert at this :)

Many different ways, looking at known historical events -

1. Romans who may have carried small amounts of J1 (maybe phoenician?), there is also over 6% of Roman R1b U152 in England along with some other Southern European clades which probably travelled with Romans

2. Jewish, I think Jews have a short history of settling in England but then we don't know if this is a Jewish clade maybe Arab father had a Jewish wife/partner

3. Slave? England has a history with slavery. I am not sure how much J1 was found in the countries where England took most slaves from (since I don't know where they took them from), there is more J1 towards East Africa & North

Adai1
05-12-20, 02:32
Hi again I'm user YRD3. I had to create a new account my last one was a quick one I made, forgot the password.

I've had a look on ftdna. I believe the specific haplogroup is J-FT264818 (going down the tree: FT264818 - Y13481 - FT3509014 - FGC4412 - FGC4415 etc) Does anyone have any information on this haplogroup? Thanks.

TaktikatEMalet
05-12-20, 19:22
Looks like it may have been spread with arab muslim expansions

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/36350-What-do-we-know-about-J-FGC4415?

Adai1
05-12-20, 20:39
Thank you for the link.
Since the arab armies never made it to Britain during their invasions, my theory is that i have a paternal arab ancestor who settled in spain and his descendants sailed by boat to Britain and settled there. I can't think of another explanation