DNA paper sets out to establish the true origins of Christopher Columbus.

real expert

Reaction score
There are many controversies about the life and legacy of Christopher Columbus, especially in terms of his true country of origin. While most historians believe that Columbus was from Genoa, Italy, there are other people who argue that he was Catalan due to his writing or, Jewish, Aragonese, Galician, Majorcan, or from La Mancha.

Therefore, Spanish researchers try to end the dispute on where Columbus was born by a DNA study.
The results of the final stage of DNA research on tiny samples of what scientists believe are the remains of Columbus, his son Fernando and his brother Diego, will be analysed independently by laboratories in Europe and the Americas and should be published in October.

http://DNA study sets out to establish true origins of Christopher Columbus | Europe | The Guardian

How will the DNA prove where he was born? :petrified:

How will the DNA prove where he was born? :petrified:

Surely Columbus' DNA won‘t reveal where he was born or where he grew up or where he had citizenship. That said, the researchers can use strontium isotope to determine where he was born or grew up. The thing is that most people are interested in who Columbus was ethnically speaking.

Surely Columbus' DNA won‘t reveal where he was born or where he grew up or where he had citizenship. That said, the researchers can use strontium isotope to determine where he was born or grew up. The thing is that most people are interested in who Columbus was ethnically speaking.

there are 2 stories

1 - born and raised in Republic of Genoa

2 - born in Catalonia............raised in Genoa and claimed Genovese born and bred to get a commission to captain "Spanish"/Castilian/Leonese ships as the genovese where the bankers of the "Spanish" royals

TIL about strontium isotope. Great info thanks.

there are 2 stories

1 - born and raised in Republic of Genoa

2 - born in Catalonia............raised in Genoa and claimed Genovese born and bred to get a commission to captain "Spanish"/Castilian/Leonese ships as the genovese where the bankers of the "Spanish" royals

I wish there were only 2 stories.

Some claim he was a Polish or Lithuanian prince in exile or a Sephardi Jew etc etc.

The catalonian origin theory is simply ridiculous.

I remember that study from a long a long time ago, did the results come out?I cant find anything about it.
The polish prince theory is the craziest one in my opnion, Henrique Alemão a man living in the Madeira island is said to have been Colombo´s father and the Polish King Ladislau III taking refuge in Portugal .But we dont even know where Henrique was from, I doubt he was Ladislau III the lost king, one the evidence among many others for that, is that the polish prince had black hair, diferent from Henrique. That matter is of interest of many people tracing ancestry from the Madeira Islands as Henrique was one of the early settlers.

This thread has been viewed 4117 times.

Back