mtDNA A23 in Galicia (Spain)

Catuxa

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b R-L21
mtDNA haplogroup
U5a1a1c
I did a test to my paternal grandmother and I found out her mtDNA is A23.
I was searching information about it. It is common among Siberians, Bashkirs, Qashqai, Kazakhs, Uzbeks, Tajiks, Mongols, Chinese, Korean, Japanese...
A friend guessed that her mtDNA could come with the Alans. What do you think?

Of course, that Haplogroup is Asian and (native)American, particularly Mexican.

In Europa, the most likely explanation is coming from the Steppe.
During the Germanic invasions, Visigoths and other peoples were displaced by the Huns of Attila(Attila reached until Catalonia), which came from Central Asia.

And fun fact about your Y hp.
L-21 is the defining marker of Irish and Scottiah ancestry.
It's a minority in Galicia(in Spain peaks in the Basque country), but you can say you're really Celtic.

Where are your paternal grandmother come from in Galicia, Catuxa? It could be as well from a woman came from Nueva Espa?a (actual Mexico) since 1521. Not many people from America came to Spain but who knows, it could be.

My grandmother is from Poio, Rias Baixas, and her grandparents were from the same place. Her DNA test results didn't show any Amerindian ancestry at all. It showed the typical Iberian, Northwest Europe, Irish, North Africa... The most uncommon thing she has is Sardinian (weird because I don't know what exactly it means).

Are you sure A23 is also Native American? I can't find any information related with the presence of mtDNA A23 in Mexico. All I can find about it that it is from Asia. I'm speaking about A23, not A2-a23.

The indigenous American's maternal haplogroup A is A2. not A23.

A23 orginated Siberia somewhere in Chalcolithic. is extremely rare maternal haplogroup in europe. it must be related proto-ugric(uralic) people or scytho-sarmatian steppe people or something.

Maybe Bjork is key to this can we check out her DNA...?

So for sure this A23 came from Alans, Suevii or Goths came in the Vth century. Who knows the melting-pot composition of these tribes came from Middle Danube to today Ucrania and even far away...

The 5th century was a chaotic period. especially Invasion of the Hunnic Hordes.

Thank you all for your contributions.

The sad side in this story is that this mitochondrial line is likely broken in my family.

My grandmother's daughter had only male children. Her elder sister had three male children. Her younger sister did have a daughter - a lesbian.

I hope my great-grandmother had sisters.

Thank you all for your contributions.

The sad side in this story is that this mitochondrial line is likely broken in my family.

My grandmother's daughter had only male children. Her elder sister had three male children. Her younger sister did have a daughter - a lesbian.

I hope my great-grandmother had sisters.

I hope somewhere have a A12 or A23. the A12 is cousin of A23.

This thread has been viewed 2745 times.

Back