Palermo Trapani

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian-Sicily-South
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2-M223>I-Y5362
mtDNA haplogroup
H2A3
Professor Lee Berger just put this out on twitter. He is going to Denmark for a "science" reason and has some important results to announce. As to what those might be, nobody knows.

https://twitter.com/LeeRberger

In a youtube discussion from about 2 months ago which is linked linked below, Berger hinted at around the 1 hour mark that he expects there to be some admixture with Naledi and early Homo Sapiens in South Africa (i.e. Florisbad Homo Sapien lived concurrently). Perhaps they were able to successfully sequence Homo Naledi's DNA from the inner ear and test that hypothesis?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcLjDfD2r3g&t=434s

Anyone hear any scuttlebutt as to what Professor Berger is going to announce in January 2023.

Interesting, I'd bet modern humans are more of an amalgamation of ancient hominids than we think.

Modern man is inter-species, which partly responsible for what we call racial difference. Which is in addition to climate, diet, sexual selection, isolation, etc... a quantifiable biological reality, and not merely a "construct".

JPCwRWa.jpg

Jovialis: I listened to Professor Berger and Professor Hawks discussion regarding Naledi. I do not want to overstate but it is almost as if Berger's prediction regarding Homo Naledi intogression in some population is based on some preliminary findings he was already aware of 2 months ago. The Rising Star fossils are around 26 degrees south Latitude and in a cave system so it is possible if they have the inner ear petrous bone they can sequence DNA from it. Professor Reich in his book "Who we are...." noted that Petrous bone is an area that has well preserved DNA that does not degrade and can be sequenced, due to improvements in technology, even if in regions of the world where years prior it could not be sequenced (see page 94 and 201 of Professor Reich's book).

H. naledi lived between 230,000 to 330,000 years ago. It is very likely that H. naledi co-existed and interacted with Homo sapiens, which evolved in Africa between 200,000 and 300,000 years ago.

The Rising Star Cave in the Cradle of Humankind (CoH) world heritage site, South Africa hosts the only known Homo naledi fossils, which are concentrated in two chambers: the Dinaledi and Lesedi Chambers (Fig. 1; Berger et al., 2015; Dirks et al., 2015; Hawks et al., 2017). H. naledi was recognised as a new species of hominin by Berger et al. (2015) and has been dated at 236–335 ka (Dirks et al., 2017), indicating for the first time that early Homo sapiens shared the African landscape with other hominin species well into the late Pleistocene (Berger and Hawks, 2017).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0009254121000528

Professor Berger's recent statements relate to his further exploration of the cave system and his claim that Homo Naledi controlled fire for cooking and lighting. I think his next announcement is more likely to be about new evidence supporting the case for control of fire than aDNA results.

Professor Berger's recent statements relate to his further exploration of the cave system and his claim that Homo Naledi controlled fire for cooking and lighting. I think his next announcement is more likely to be about new evidence supporting the case for control of fire than aDNA results.

Tamakore: I think that will be part of is announcement (i.e. fire related). However, Prof. Berger just did a 1 hour or so interview with History at Kaleigh on her youtube channel. At around the 1 hour 20 minute mark or so, after she asks him what are some other things that we can look for, he states pay attention to the "molecular space". She kind of had a ohhh moment based on her expression and he says I know something is going to happen in the molecular space.

Take a look at the video and let me know how you interpret Prof. Berger's pay attention to the molecular space comment. To me it suggest something possibly related to DNA or maybe it could be they analyzed dental protein like what was done with Homo Antecessor.

This thread has been viewed 1914 times.

Back