Cyprus, Greece and Turkey

Ulubatli

Believer
Reaction score
Lately, you have started hearing about the debates in Cyprus. Cyprus issue is not new, it has a long story, starting from 1940s.

I don't want to give detailed information or discuss anything on it. I just wonder what you know about the issue or what you think about the sides.

Do you think that Turkey is an invader in Cyprus?

Do you think that Greeks in Cyprus went on an ethnic cleansing?

Is it a problem for Turkey to enter European Union?

I have a lot more question in mind but don't want to tell them all...

That is to say, what you think or what you know about Cyprus?

Hi I`m an Iraqi Turkmen who spent most of his life in Turkey and consider myself a pure Turk. I currently live in Canada and I`m learning more about not just Turkey but histories, cultures, economic and military conditions, as well as political, religious, ethnic, and other things from many different countries as I study political science and history in my 2nd year in university as well and do my own vast personal research from many sources. To answer your first question no I don`t think Turkey is an invader in Cyprus as I think it was a justified reaction when Turkey intervened in Cyprus and took over Northern Cyprus in 1974 because the Greek Cypriots along with the Greeks themselves were attempting to unify Cyprus under a Greek nationality and oppressing, ignoring and even killing the Turkish Cypriots inhabiting the country, so I believe Turkey acted as a protector and guarantor as it should have for their Turkish Cypriot brothers. To answer your second question, yes I agree that the Greeks went on an ethnic cleansing as there were reports of many killings of Turkish Cypriots by Greeks in the island before the invasion by the Turks. Yes unfortunately the Europeans do no understand this issue very well and naturally take the sides of the Greeks and Greek Cypriots and blame the Turks for everything when they should look at the issue from both sides perspective and yes unfortunately this Cyprus issue along with the Armenian and Kurdish issues are the main obstacles for Turkey entering EU but hopefully all these issues will be solved peacefully and fairly for both sides in the near future.

I think it makes little sense to talk of ethnic cleansing between Greeks and Turks when the two people are so closely related genetically. In fact, western Turks are closer to Aegean Greeks than to central, eastern or northern Turks. The Greeks are not a genetically uniform people either. DNA have shown that Thessalians are really quite different from Cretans, for instance.

Ironically, when one compares haplogroups, Cypriots are closer to the Lebanese than they are to either the Greeks or the Turks. Cypriots are in fact in between the Cretans and the Lebanese. All three have a very high percentage of J2 (35-45%) with a lot of E1b1b (20%) and G2a (5-10%), but not much I, R1a or R1b compared to Anatolia or the Peloponese.

So in my opinion it's just a linguistic and religious issue.

Lately, you have started hearing about the debates in Cyprus. Cyprus issue is not new, it has a long story, starting from 1940s.

I don't want to give detailed information or discuss anything on it. I just wonder what you know about the issue or what you think about the sides.

Do you think that Turkey is an invader in Cyprus?

Do you think that Greeks in Cyprus went on an ethnic cleansing?

Is it a problem for Turkey to enter European Union?

I have a lot more question in mind but don't want to tell them all...

That is to say, what you think or what you know about Cyprus?

:innocent::innocent::innocent: People do not invade like this in the 20th century, unless they declare a war... there are always political interests behind...other countries involving...:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:

I m not well informed of the whole extent of the subject, why don't you tell me what you know...

I ll show you mine if you show me yours:snicker:

I agree with Maciamo on this one. This is a matter of cultural divide rather than ethnic.

This thread has been viewed 8477 times.

Back