Cancer Breast Cancer on Rise in Men, Study Shows

Hachiko

Look who's back!
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Filipino
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Male breast cancer is on the rise in the United States -- bad news for men and their doctors, who do not even know to look for it, researchers reported on Monday.

Although the disease remains extremely rare -- just 1,600 cases are predicted for 2004 -- the 25 percent increase in 25 years is worrying, said Dr. Sharon Giordano of the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, who led the study.

"I don't think anybody had specifically looked to see if male breast cancer had been increasing over time, because it is so rare," Giordano said in a telephone interview.

Yahoo! News

Oh No !!!

I don't want my little "A CUP" boobs squished in a mamogram!! I have no experience at it; would any of you ladies like to check me for lumps??

Frank

:blush:

Frank D. White said:
I don't want my little "A CUP" boobs squished in a mamogram!! I have no experience at it; would any of you ladies like to check me for lumps??

Frank

:blush:

Well, aren't we the Kimura (of Azumanga Daioh) here... :blush: :eek:kashii:

Alternative to the Chemotherapy is the synergetic tumor basis therapy concept proposed by Dr. rer. nat. Peter Keller (Docteur Pierre Quellere) at the symposium drug design and developement march 2001 Marburg Germany in a virtual poster. The combination of angiogenese inhibitors and immunostimulantia is recommended to avoid the application of cytostatica. See forum entry www.medizin-forum.de forum Krebserkrankungen, title: "In memoriam Dr. med. Wolfgang Wohlgemuth"

Men have breast tissue just like women, just a very small amount, that's how it can happen.

Well, if I do get breast cancer, I know where I'll go for treatment, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston Texas. I only live 3 hours from there and was just there last week with my wife.
My wife was diagnosed several weeks ago by local (small town mammography center) with possible breast cancer. We went to M.D. Anderson and she spent the entire day under going examinations.They did mammograms, CT scans and ultra-sound on her. At the end of the day they told her that she had no problem and didn't even need a biopsy. We felt very, very lucky and the doctors and technicians at MD Anderson treated both of us extremely well, very caring and thorough.
While there I talked to two men, one in his 50's and the other about 40, who were there for follow up appointments for breast cancer treatment. They were very positive and complimentary to the treatment that they had received.

Thanks for the kind wishes, my wife turned out to be fine. (y)

It is the post which i like mostHey I read your articles every day and I am a great follower, but never struck in my mind that you be praised for your hard work. Here’s a token for your efficiency and the hard work you put in your articles. I just love to read it.

I have a friend who is a doctor and she told me that when men become obese their testosterone levels drop and their estrogen levels increase which leads to some breast growth, so they are literally 'man boobs'.:LOL:

my family on my mother side has an history on breast cancer: grandmother died of it, and my aunt was diagnosed it but fortunately with time and she's alive, grandfather dyed of lung cancer as well as my uncle. fortunately on my father side nobody ever got cancer.

now i'm young (21) but as soon as five-10 yeras i have to start mammography as well as pap test.
the worst is the prevention for colon (colonscopya..), i don't smoke so i shouldn't get worried about lung cancer.

do you know if genetic test such as 23and me tell you about you predispotion to cancer?.. it's better to take it.

my family on my mother side has an history on breast cancer: grandmother died of it, and my aunt was diagnosed it but fortunately with time and she's alive, grandfather dyed of lung cancer as well as my uncle. fortunately on my father side nobody ever got cancer.

now i'm young (21) but as soon as five-10 yeras i have to start mammography as well as pap test.
the worst is the prevention for colon (colonscopya..), i don't smoke so i shouldn't get worried about lung cancer.

do you know if genetic test such as 23and me tell you about you predispotion to cancer?.. it's better to take it.

Yes, you can do this predisposition test via 23andme.
But one thing you should know is that even if the result should be that your chances for breast cancer are a little higher than on population average, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will get it. And as it is very unlikely that you won't have any chances for any type of cancer or coronary diseases at all, this shouldn't keep you from living a healthy lifestyle plus taking regularly early diagnosis tests when you are older.
This applies also for mammography in the case of lower chances of breast cancer. Swollen lymph notes can hardly be felt and make no obvious trouble if they are situated on the mediasternal (inner, body oriented) part of the breast. Colon CA on the other hand is noticible at a very early stage (digestive problems, blood stool etc...), so there is no need for a coloscopya unless there is no suspicion for it, or you already had cancer previously.

I was surprised to read recently how breast reduction for men has become big business in the US. Guess it is all the sugars we eat that might be behind the growing problem.

"Bosom buddies"
http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/2010/10/bosom-buddies.html

excerpt:

Male breast reduction surgery is a booming business. While most industries are in a downward tailspin, breast reduction surgery in men is growing at double-digit rates.

Other efforts, some legitimate, some not, are also cropping up, all intended to help men deal with this embarassing problem:

Exercise programs to reduce male breast size.

Liposuction–Not just for the belly!

Plastic surgery

Gynexin–a supplement that purportedly reduces male breast size.

Conventional medical treatment also includes estrogen blocking drugs, the same ones used to treat breast cancer, drugs like tamoxifen. There’s even clothing intended to make breasts less obvious.

While male breast enlargement–”gynecomastia”–can occasionally occur due to rare endocrinologic problems, such as high prolactin hormone levels (hyperprolactinemia) or somewhat more commonly as failed testosterone production (hypogonadism), the vast majority of men who suffer with this problem simply have high estrogen levels.

Makes sense: Women develop larger breasts during development mostly due to increased levels of estrogen. A parallel situation in men likewise stimulates breast tissue.

So where does the excess estrogen come from?

Visceral fat converts testosterone to estrogen. Men with excess visceral fat therefore develop low levels of testosterone and high levels of estrogen. Estrogen levels can, in fact, be substantially higher compared to slender males.

So what foods cause the accumulation of visceral fat and, thereby, increased estrogen and decreased testosterone?

Foods that increase blood glucose and insulin to the greatest degree are the foods that begin this cascade. The common foods that increase blood sugar the most? Here’s a list, starting with most blood glucose-insulin provoke at the top, least at the bottom:

Myfriend is a physician and he informed me that when men become overweight their androgenic hormone or testosterone stages fall and their stages of oestrogen increase which results in some breasts type tissue, so they are basically 'man boobs'

Rutherford Health Club

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 16489 times.

Back