PDA

View Full Version : Suicide

dark for tears
27-05-04, 05:05
What do you think about suicide?

Mandylion
27-05-04, 07:46
Okay, JREF has had some problems with these types of thread in the past.
However, this could be a great thread on the topic of mortality across cultures and how societies deal with suicide. With that in mind -

Here are the rules - break them and your post will be deleted or the thread erased.

1) Do not discuss how to kill yourself.

2) Do not discuss what would push you to suicide. You do not want to be the person who gave someone the idea/rationalization.

3) Keep the discussion polite

4) Keep things on a theoretical level - ie discuss the factors in society that might make someone feel they should kill themselves and/or why this is good or bad for society (for example).

5) If you are thinking about suicide beyond an intellectual level, please, get help from someone ASAP.

6) Don't bring your problems with you to this thread.

The above in not negotiable. If you have a beef, take it to another forum. The staff reserve the right at any time to add more or modify this thread or things posted in it to remain appropriate...

Morfos
28-05-04, 07:07
I think its horribly sad. People that commit suicide can be nice, but had terrible lives all thanks to popular bullies who pick on them. If a kid commits suicide, bullies should be punished.

RockLee
28-05-04, 08:10
I personally think it is the stupidest thing one ever can do...and is because you lack self-respect...no one should commit suicide just because someone bullies you or you think your life sucks...you get help and deal with it!!!! :souka:

mad pierrot
28-05-04, 10:36
Seppuku, harakiri? (sp?)

Is it odd to kill yourself for "honor"? Japanese students seem to like the idea, it would seem. Wouldn't it be more honorable to live and make up for any mistakes? On the other hand, the tale of the 47 ronin is certainly something else...

RockLee
28-05-04, 10:49
Well....there is a difference between FOR YOUR COUNTRY,FOR HONOR or just because the fact you hate your life/are being bullied !! The first ones are part of a culture!!! The others are dumb reasons and won't benifit somebody else :souka:

mad pierrot
28-05-04, 14:25
the Last Samurai I think they went a little overboard with the ritual suicide. There were too many cliches in the movie to begin with. Interestingly enough, before I saw that movie I read Bushido by Inazo Nitobe. I heard Tom Cruise carried a copy of that around with him on the set.

den4
28-05-04, 18:30
think it's sad that somebody would get to the stage where they believe this action is the only possible thing left to do.

Know in our current modern society, even in Japan, there are hotlines to help those inclined towards this action, but far too many times, the individuals or groups, feel they have no other choice left to them....and that's the sad part....

what I do object to are the idiot folks who have gone to these internet sites for this activity, as if it's some kind of social event, like going to a party, and they do this activity, like it's a game or something....those folks need help.... :(

DoctorNO
28-05-04, 21:30
What about killing yourself for your religious beliefs? Like the Heaven's Gate UFO cult. Like the muslim suicide bombers. Those people died with smile. No regrets. Heaven is waiting on the otherside while leaving the earth in great honors as a martyr.

Frank D. White
29-05-04, 01:34
Watching so many people die in terrible pain, soooo
slow and painful a death!! I feel if some one has a terminal illness that will lead to a long lingering death
that will be painful for the person and the loved ones
around him; suicide should be an option.
Not quite as clear to me, is an older person who has no one left around him. Although not dying, their life consists of just sitting around waiting for death to take them; they hate life and want to die, should they be able to commit suicide, maybe?

Frank

:?

chiquiliquis
29-05-04, 03:16
I personally think it is the stupidest thing one ever can do...and is because you lack self-respect...

I am reminded of Jean Paul Sartre, and his famous line in "No Exit": ...Hell is other people.

Stupid is a subjective term. There have been many an intellectual who, through their own logic, have deemed life short and nasty (Hobbes), and perhaps not all that worth lving. What is the first noble truth in Buddhism...?--life is suffering! (In no way suggesting Buddhism holds suicide as a value). But the truth is, there is a world of despair out there; Humanity is capable of being extraordiarily ugly.

Despair doesn't hit "common sense". It strikes much much lower than that.

Who are we to put a value on someone's life...? Most of us have problems with saying: you are worth 'X', and that guy over there is worth 'X+1'. We object to these kinds of valuations. Why would we get so uptight, then, when the equation becomes '-X'
:souka:

RockLee
29-05-04, 13:17
slow and painful a death!! I feel if some one has a terminal illness that will lead to a long lingering death
Not quite as clear to me, is an older person who has no one left around him. Although not dying, their life consists of just sitting around waiting for death to take them; they hate life and want to die, should they be able to commit suicide, maybe?

Frank

It is true that maybe in this case IF the person him/herself wants it because of an incurable illness, the person doesn't deserve to suffer his whole life :souka:

As far as them suicide-bombers....they are just a bunch of brainwashed retards...I call their religion a HOAX...created by some powerhungry goons who liked to dominate women and think THEIR OWN religion is THE ONLY GOOD ONE??? Pleaaaaaase!!! Pathetic!!!! :okashii:

dark for tears
30-05-04, 00:11
Okay, JREF has had some problems with these types of thread in the past.
However, this could be a great thread on the topic of mortality across cultures and how societies deal with suicide. With that in mind -

Here are the rules - break them and your post will be deleted or the thread erased.

1) Do not discuss how to kill yourself.

2) Do not discuss what would push you to suicide. You do not want to be the person who gave someone the idea/rationalization.

3) Keep the discussion polite

4) Keep things on a theoretical level - ie discuss the factors in society that might make someone feel they should kill themselves and/or why this is good or bad for society (for example).

5) If you are thinking about suicide beyond an intellectual level, please, get help from someone ASAP.

6) Don't bring your problems with you to this thread.

The above in not negotiable. If you have a beef, take it to another forum. The staff reserve the right at any time to add more or modify this thread or things posted in it to remain appropriate...
Ooops <_<

I am sorry. I posted those questions originally on a few other forums and stuff. I wasn't really talking about a personal problem, just curious I guess.

If I had known, I wouldn't have posted the thread *smacks herself for not reading the rules*

-Yu-
30-05-04, 10:45
I had a bad experience when I was in a junior high school.
The guy who used to be my friend and was in the same school sport club started disliking me. As he had been expressing that he hates me in many ways, I gradualy started to hate him as well cause what he did was so nasty such as saying some things to encourage other members in the club or other students in the same school to dislike me and on every single weekends he hangs around with people in the sport club. Since my close friends were almost only them, it was pain in the ass cause the sport club was really strict we practiced everyday except for Sundays therefore we members in the club didn't hang with others.Since then my school life became so $h!t....

This situation lasted for almost 1 year and afterward he kind of started to be normal,,I don't know why he stopped it and can't even remember why he started.

It wasn't that bad that I would've had to suicide, but definitely it was one of worst things in my life. Since my parents are school teachers in my house there are books about school kids who were bullied.I read some. Their situations were completely filled with bad experiences that they couldn't think of anything but of dying.
Before I read those books I had been thinking that suicide is what loosers who can't solve their own problems do but it isn't the matter of people who suicided, it is the matter of people who bullied them and the teachers who don't think of bullying as serious problem.

I'll tell you one big exmple to you guys, this may be slightly different from the original one and may include things which don't really make sense to you due to my English level but basicaly it's same. I read this on some book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
One male student was being "asked" to "lend" money to others in some school and he did without thinking deeply. They kept "asking" and the amount of money they "asked"
him to "lend" was gradualy getting bigger and the student couldn't get any of money back that he lent to them. Although he asked them to give it back to him, they didn't besides they asked him for more promising him to do a few days later. He thought he had to say " I can't" and said it from his mouth to them then they started beating him up till he said he gives money to them.
He asked his teacher for advice or to stop them doing it but he didn't take his story seriously and he even said " Even if it's true, if you tell them bravely that you won't pay anymore, they'll stop", the teacher didn't do anything particular other than saying this.
From the day, his life became hell and he started stealing money from his parents wallets so that he could give them because the amount of money they asked for was too high for hime to pay by himself.

One day, their parents noticed that their son was stealing their money so they asked him why he was doing it and they knew their son had been bllied by them. They started to tell this to school to solve this problem but they didn't believe it assuming that their son was over-telling.

The parents decided to let him change the school to the other and he did.
The students who were "asking" him for money found out which school he was going to at that time and his life went same way as before again and one day his parents found him hung with a rope around his neck in his room as well as his testament which said he felt sorry for stealing a lot of money, detais of Bullying to him, what he had been feeling and so on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't remember how much money exactly he gave bullies, but I think it was neary 150万円 which is about USD13,000 and AUD18,000( I didn't caluculate properly besides the money-exchanging rate was very different cause this incident happened almost 10 years ago.

If you can read Japanese this site would be nice to know a glimpse of Bullying in Japan.

http://www.oita-med.ac.jp/pediatrics/ijime.html

I forgot to put the website's address :p

RockLee
30-05-04, 12:41
Djeeses man, that's a sad sad story :( .... they should punish them kids...
Oh man...ONE thing I know is that KIDS can be cruel bastards :souka: !!

Mandylion
02-06-04, 03:27
There is a very good article in the online New York Times today about the US state of Oregon's suicide law. You may have to register to read the full article, but it is free, and they don't spam your account.

"In Oregon, Choosing Death Over Suffering" June 2nd, 2004, Science
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/science/index.html

MShingen
02-06-04, 05:51
I don't know why but people nowadays like to turn to suicide. They treated suicide as "ultimate way of solving their problems". It was the fastest way of removing themselves from their own problems.

However, they did not think of the after effects of suicide. They did not think of how their family members or their friends will feel. The sorrow, the saddness for their lost of that person. Suicide is one of the most irresponsible act and should never come accross anybody's mind. They should be brave and stand up and face the problem and find a way to overcome it, not to run away from it by committing suicide.

nekosasori
03-06-04, 12:49
While I tend to share the Western views concerning suicide (and I've also lost three friends to suicide, mainly in university), I can also appreciate the cultural values where suicide seems like a reasonable (if tragic) option. Yes, family and acquaintances may mourn someone who's taken his or her life, but say the deceased had been in a position of great responsibility and had made a huge mistake that cost the livelihoods of thousands of employees and their families? It's a lot easier to "take responsibility" and to minimize the shame and resentment that one's loved ones feel, by (ideally) just resigning, but suicide is just one (albeit drastic) step further. The combination of fatalism (shikata ga nai) and of taking shame and personal accountability very seriously, to the point where your descendants can't outlive the shame brought upon the family by their predecessors... well, it's understandable to me why those suicides happen.

Haven't there been recent news of mass suicides being organized online in Japan? That makes me feel very sad and angry. But each person's circumstances are unique, and one can't generalize that those around someone would always feel devastated after his or her death, whether it be accidental, health-related, or caused deliberately.

Duo
07-06-04, 01:30
Personally I dont think that suicide is the solution. The world we live is not a pretty place, in fact some people do actually live in hell already. The will to live is so great that it can help one overcome any kind of situation. Just to mention, Nelson Mandela locked in jail for so many years, he still kept on living and believing. Also, in Eastern Europe during Communism, there were people persecuted to extremities of great magnitude, however they made it through. To mind comes also the jews in concentration camps that made it out alive. If people in such conditions made it out alive and sane, then people should be able to deal with bullying in school, failing entrance exams, loosing someone etc. For me the issue is simple. For all we know, we may only live once, so why cut that short?

suzu
07-06-04, 01:50
It surprises me how many different kinds of people can be suicidal. Alot of my friends have been suicidal, 3 of them have been hospitalized at one point or another. One friend was in a total lock down for 3 months, we didn't know what had happened to her and we were worried alot. We thought that she had succeded because no had heard from her. Thank goodness she is ok, we would all miss her.
Another totally surprised because she was so cheery, she was never sad around any of us. She was so normal that none of us suspected anything. She is ok now too, I'm really glad that none of them actually went through with it.

den4
11-06-04, 17:44
some recent info:
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=126&art_id=qw1086927841956B215&set_id=1

(I've copied the info from the link below, because it requires registration soon, and the article may go bye-bye....
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/11/1086749889731.html?oneclick=true
Japan's record suicide rate
June 11, 2004 - 4:47PM
More Japanese committed suicide last year than ever before as poor economic conditions drove greater numbers to end their own lives, the government said today.

Suicides rose 7.1 per cent to 32,082 in 2003 from 29,949 the year before, the Health Ministry said. It was the sixth leading cause of death after cancer, heart disease and other illnesses.

Japan's economy has started to rebound in recent years amid rising exports to Asia, but years of sluggish growth have lifted unemployment and forced large numbers into personal bankruptcy.

Suicide was the leading cause of death among men in their 50s, a population segment disproportionately affected by corporate restructuring.

"Men in their 50s are probably the hardest hit by unemployment and economic slump," said Tsutomu Ishiyama, a ministry official in charge of the statistics.

Suicide also was the No 1 cause of death among those in their 20s and 30s, the age groups that are less likely to die from illnesses, he said.

Overall, men accounted for nearly three-quarters of suicides.

and although the tabloid source makes you take it with a grain of sugar, this guy seems like he deserves the honorary Incompetence award: http://www.despair.com/demotivators/incompetence.html
http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/face/0406/0611kubozuka.html
maybe he just wants attention... :D

sadakoyamamura
11-06-04, 18:03

Frank

Euthanasia, is it equivalent to suicide? :?

It surprises me how many different kinds of people can be suicidal. Alot of my friends have been suicidal, 3 of them have been hospitalized at one point or another. One friend was in a total lock down for 3 months, we didn't know what had happened to her and we were worried alot. We thought that she had succeded because no had heard from her. Thank goodness she is ok, we would all miss her.
Another totally surprised because she was so cheery, she was never sad around any of us. She was so normal that none of us suspected anything. She is ok now too, I'm really glad that none of them actually went through with it.

A friend of mine is a posthumus baby... Up to now he still thinks his father is stupid because he committed suicide. I used to be suicidal that from my teens to my early twenties. I'm now in my late twenties but I'm ok. Oh boy, it was a tough battle but I found out that surrounding myself with happy thoughts, having wonderful friends and improving myself helped me a lot!! :spray:

Eternal Wind
11-06-04, 21:29
I think that suicide is just a form of escaping from reality...very bad...

Hachiko
12-06-04, 02:44
Suicide is the last thing you want to do with yourself. The first thing you should do, always, and forever hold your dove, is believe in yourself, and roll with the punches, not choose to suffer from them.

*incantates Saint Sakaki Anderson of Daiodelphia to protect those who have suicidal thoughts*

Vengeful Ronin
11-07-04, 00:02
Suicide is pretty bad. It's horrible for someone to go through suicidal feelings (like i did), but in retrospect it's selfish. You want to end your life because of your pain, but you don't bother to think of the pain your death will cause others. Sadly, most people in depression cannot see this. It's horrible for anyone to go through depression and suicidal feelings, and I try to help those that do.

Winter
11-07-04, 04:53
Suicide isnt really a big deal to me. Everyone and they mama wants to do it at some point, even if they arent serious, and I've just been jaded to the concept. I 'suffer' from chronic depression, suicidal tendancies, all that other poppycock, but I've learned some things from it.

1: Nothing is that important; especially one another.

People used to get me upset, for whatever reason, but believing that they are equally worthless to me, has helped a lot.

2: You'll be dead one day anyway.

Why force it? Accept that you'll be dead soon, and stop thinking about it. Get on with your worthless life, or not.

3: Stop caring.

Apathy is the one thing that isnt being publicized enough. People need to be more apathetic. Just stop caring. Nothing is that important, and nothing will ever be. Eventually everything and everyone will die, so just get over whatever pitiful 'problems' you may think are driving you to ending your worthless little life, and just suffer like every other human on the planet. There's no getting around it. Just make your life easier, and accept it, then move on. You'll be surprised how much that helps.

Knives
11-07-04, 16:10
you see your wrong life is not wortheless with our short time in this world you need to get out and find inner peace within you. Go out for walks go to parks medatate even!!! if your smart youll use the time you have alive and make it worth while. It what ive done and im extreamly happy :P good luck

Bounty Hunter
11-07-04, 17:20
I once was going through a bad part of my life and i was thinking about commiting suicide....

After hours of thinking, i decided to solve my problems and here i am today :-)

I believe that if someone commits suicide they are very weak minded and they are not thinking about the people that love them and are so busy thinking about the people that dislike them.

the world is a messed up place you just got to learn to deal with it.

My final thought is if you think your problems are bad their is always someone else worst off.

Just think about it.

Hopefully someone learns from this.

Foxtrot Uniform
11-07-04, 18:05
As far as them suicide-bombers....they are just a bunch of brainwashed retards...I call their religion a HOAX...created by some powerhungry goons who liked to dominate women and think THEIR OWN religion is THE ONLY GOOD ONE??? Pleaaaaaase!!! Pathetic!!!! :okashii:

Woah, woah!! Let's not go around and insult other people's religions or cultures!! Anyway, suicide bombers do not always blow themselves up for their religion or for the beleif that they will get a free ticket to heaven.

Often, military groups or the enemy govornment who want people to blow themselves up will pay the family a lot money if the person does this, and the father of the family will offer to do this because the amount of money the family will get after he dies will be more than he will ever earn in his entire life if he lived. In order to provide for his family, the father will strap on a bomb and detonate himself where he was hired to do, and the "employer" gives the money to the family.

This purpose of this kind of suicide is to sacrifice onself for the good of the many, or one's family.

Kintaro
12-07-04, 01:37
Suicide is so large a topic from Euthanasia (medically assisted suicide, and in some cases, termination by another person) to suicide bombers, not to mention places like ASH (not writing full acronym, an info site/newsgroup a bit too informative)... and cults like Solar Temple, etc...

My mother has finished herself off when I was 9. The circumstances to why are irrelevant, at least she had the dignity to take HER life and not the lives of the 3 kids sleeping upstairs. I am sick of people with their "I'm sorry" bits because they have no clue what suicide means, and the circumstances involved both for the one inviting death and the ones living around that personal invite. I woudln't say "apathy" is a solution to prevent one's self from committing suicide as a previous poster exclaimed a bit oo energetically (thus it can't be true apathy) but there are a lot of people who out of rationalism, emotion and logic, live for their emotions and garbage the other two in the process. They're more at risk to committing suicide on a whim, but that's about it.

My personal views on suicide are that I have given myself a mission in life, start a legacy, a family and friends network of loyalty, honor and respect. I will make that vision come true, or *die trying*, not kill myself if I get a setback. The only times I'd see suicide as a valid option (I checked the rules, I stop here)

As for other people willing to terminate their lives for their own reasons and circumstances, they can go right ahead, one law I would like to see in effect is that if you do kill yourself AND other people, all your life's wealth should be seized and devoted to people still living so they can live a normal life from other suidide scenarios.

Suicide is often called the "Permanent Solution to a Temporary Problem" ... I'd prefer people do this than the "Temporary Solution to a Permanent Problem" which is covering up lies, hypocrisy and bullshit with a smile, money, or other forms of dishonest BS.

Winter
13-07-04, 00:15
you see your wrong life is not wortheless with our short time in this world you need to get out and find inner peace within you. Go out for walks go to parks medatate even!!! if your smart youll use the time you have alive and make it worth while. It what ive done and im extreamly happy :P good luck

I'm gonna start breaking rules, but most of the forum regulars know me well enough to know that breaking rules is what I do best....

First, go to hell. You are nobody to tell me that I'm wrong in my choice of how I perceive my life. Telling me I'm wrong in how I'm living my life, is like telling me I'm wrong in how I choose to spell my name. Its my choice, and I'll be goddessdamned if some bourgeious peon such as yourself will tell me otherwise.

Second, believe it or not, I am actually a practicing Buddhist. I've went so far as to study in a local monastary for 3 years. So telling me that I need to meditate is like telling the Goddess herself that she needs to learn how to be more divine. Unlike you, and most of the other humans on this pathetic planet, I've not lived my life merely for the retarded ambition of being 'happy'. I dont care if I live my life in happiness, misery, enjoyment, hatred, whatever. Unlike most people, I couldnt care less about that worthless ideologies.

Thirdly; did I mention where you need to go? I did, in fact. You are telling me I need to find inner peace? I actually HAVE inner peace. Thats why people like you are worthless to me. Because I've understood my life from my angle, and I understand that nothing is worth anything, in that, nothing is worth getting upset over, there is no happiness, thereby alleviating any form of sadness, there is no misery, there is no joy, just a stagnant, needless flow of mindlessness, and because of that acceptance, I've gained a level of intermediate enlightenment, thereby freeing myself from any constraint, be it emotions of happiness, sadness, and the like I've explained before.

So I've mentioned practicing Buddhism. But my actions seem otherwise, right? All that bruhaha about love, and peace, is a load of crap. If you fuddle your worthless lives with love, journeys for peace, and all that other dribble, you are completely defying the goal of what philosophies like Buddhist, Zen, Satanism, all the stuff that I study preach. Sure on the surface, they cloud peoples thoughts with goals of gaining love for all worthless beings, and maybe thats fine for some people, but the beauty of the philosophies is that none are restricted to the single path of love to gain enlightenment, and freedom from suffering in this worthless reality. I am living *or dying* proof of that. I've gained that freedom, not by spending time loving myself, or 'finding' myself, or my inner peace, but by just letting everything go. Attachments for worthless people, dettachments for worthless emotions, and acceptance of inevitablity in life.

So that whole search for inner peace has been reached for me, in my own special way. And you are beyond foolish if you think you can even attempt to tell me that my path to my goal is wrong, or my choice in life is wrong. And if you try to tell me again, you know where you can go, dont you?

Okay admins, I've broken the code of conduct for this thread, but I couldnt hold back. Go ahead and ban me, I think I've earned it.

Winter
13-07-04, 02:42
My mother has finished herself off when I was 9. The circumstances to why are irrelevant, at least she had the dignity to take HER life and not the lives of the 3 kids sleeping upstairs. I am sick of people with their "I'm sorry" bits because they have no clue what suicide means, and the circumstances involved both for the one inviting death and the ones living around that personal invite. I woudln't say "apathy" is a solution to prevent one's self from committing suicide as a previous poster exclaimed a bit oo energetically (thus it can't be true apathy) but there are a lot of people who out of rationalism, emotion and logic, live for their emotions and garbage the other two in the process. They're more at risk to committing suicide on a whim, but that's about it.

Winter. Winter. Its Winter. That so hard to remember?

Oh, and I'm sorry about your mother.

Mandylion
13-07-04, 03:54
Remember guys, all you are getting mad at is a bunch of 1 and 0 s. It is possible to express an viewpoint without personal attacks, but if someone does, don't respond in kind - that is how things get nasty.

RockLee
13-07-04, 04:06
firstly WINTER....he was not trying to mention your nickname...and secondly...because you had a bad life you don't have to be so f****** negative the whole time...if all ppl were thinking like you then the world would be pretty bad...lighten up man...there are some good things in this world, but just because you had bad stuff happened to you,(which I'm sorry for everybody who has) doesn't have to mean you have to be so damn mindset on the bad aspects...for my part TOPIC CLOSED!!! (had to say that too for a sec)

@Foxtrot Uniform : If wouldn't even want to die just for supporting my family!!..I'd just work damn harder...a man's life is more important then to blow yourself up for some bad cause!!! --> Brainwashed (religion)

Every war lately is because of Religion...DAMN religion !! :(

Winter
13-07-04, 23:35
firstly WINTER....he was not trying to mention your nickname...and secondly...because you had a bad life you don't have to be so f****** negative the whole time...if all ppl were thinking like you then the world would be pretty bad...lighten up man...there are some good things in this world, but just because you had bad stuff happened to you,(which I'm sorry for everybody who has) doesn't have to mean you have to be so damn mindset on the bad aspects...for my part TOPIC CLOSED!!! (had to say that too for a sec)

Lets see...if all people thinking like me....then the world would be pretty bad...hmm..interesting view. [I do not agree] Its not like the world isnt already pretty bad. Doesnt seem like my thought process would make a difference.

And who says I'm negative all the time? Why, thats hardly the case. Only some of the time. The other portion of the time, I'm just terribly brutal with my honesty, and blunt perspective on things. Thats not negative, just truthful.

And I never disagreed that there arent good things in this world, I just dont care about them. Why is that so wrong? My thought process isnt wrong. It may be wrong for [some] people , but does that mean its wrong period? I wouldnt think so.

And again, I'm not fixated on the negative things of life. I give all aspects a good deal of thought; right before I dismiss them completely. Nothing wrong about that.

RockLee
14-07-04, 00:14
do as you please...you seem to have all the wisdom you need allready !! :-)

And your posts were a little bit at the negative side...that's what I meant by it :haihai:

mad pierrot
14-07-04, 05:48
I'm really superman!

TimF
14-07-04, 06:24
Winter I kow you think i could never understand the indignation you have gone through to make you the way you are but you really dont need to bring it here i may be new but i would apreaciate it if you would be a little more considerate of peoples feelings. I have lost loved ones family and friends to suicide I have even lost a brother to murder those are people that i will never get back i went into a patch just like the times you are seeing now then i said some of the stuff like you said above to the wrong people and i was sent to an asylum i was in and out of those 4 diffrent times then i was sent to boot camp and then to an all boys home there is where i learned discipline the hard wayfor almost 2 years i had no contact with the outside world i couldn't even see my family on Christmas or anyother day for that much but these are things i have not told anyone for years and i felt i needed to share them with you because some of the stuff you say can be miss interpreted and you will end up in the same boat i was in. I am not telling you you have to conform to the ways of society i am just saying just watch what you say and that there is still time to change the road your on it is never too late. Thank you for hearing my words i just hope they have not fallen upon def ears.

blessed
31-07-04, 03:10
Winter, I think you're sweet.

:D :D :D

but hey, suicide, who cares, its not something I can ban someone from doing, so I couldn't care less whether they do it, as long as they dont jump off a building and land on me, and like Winter said, we're all dust anyway.

I love humanity's double standards: we all say, once in a while, that you should respect another persons choice, yet nobody will respect another persons choice of suicide: why?

oh yeah, funny thing about suicide: a law in New York states that:

"the penalty for jumping from a building is death" :D

messenger
12-08-04, 01:57
If anyone is still reading this, I just want to say;

It seems you were talking about religion before, and I want to point out that other than to take care of the people you love and who love you, there isn't a reason for living suggested.

That is why I believe that there must be more than the life we see here. Do you think we are just random blobs who just happened to gain intelligence? The one religion that stands out to me; Christianity. A God who loves the people he's created, and a reason for living and a hope for the future.

Foxtrot Uniform
14-08-04, 13:26
If anyone is still reading this, I just want to say;

It seems you were talking about religion before, and I want to point out that other than to take care of the people you love and who love you, there isn't a reason for living suggested.

That is why I believe that there must be more than the life we see here. Do you think we are just random blobs who just happened to gain intelligence? The one religion that stands out to me; Christianity. A God who loves the people he's created, and a reason for living and a hope for the future.

Thats it, I'm running away!! Hez trying to convert me!

TwistedMac
14-08-04, 13:43
the christian god kills his own people...

check it:

(according to the bible) god created all people, thus making everyone his people, right?

then when that one dude split the seas, god poured all the water right on top of the persuers, in effect killing not only a large chunk of his own people but also a whole heap of horses and stuff...

that's not very nice.. and that's just one example of many...

the christian god has deluded you all.. there are two options:

1) The contradictions in christianity proves that the whole concept is built on lies.
2) God has fooled you. in reality he is the evil one.

messenger
20-08-04, 23:06
Well if you have doubts I'm definitely not forcing you to convert! Well, for me religion has a lot to do with it and I just wanted to say that...sorry if anyone was insulted.

Yeah, a lot of people wonder about that..the way God works, i mean...but I don't just believe in God for no reason you know! Can you tell me exactly how you think it is contrary, and I'll think about it?

Areku
24-08-04, 20:01
Healthy people comitting suicide is just weak and selfish.

Mr. Just-A-Guy
24-09-04, 20:16
"Sucide is the proof of life."

michi
24-09-04, 21:00
What do you think about suicide?

everyone's basically pointed out what i want to say. that suicide is selfish, idiotic, etcetcetc.

also, i think suicide totally degrades the beauty of life.

Legato
24-09-04, 23:46
@Messenger: I can understand your christian existantialism, many people have the same view but you have to accept that some don't, existanyialism has different versions. Giving your life a meaning by following the path of God is fine but one can give a meaning to his life through achievements of all kinds, in my opinion the path of God is easiest because it's already there and has been taken many, many times, finding your own path or even creating a new one is a lot harder. Beside don't you think it's impossible to understand what God's intentions are, I mean someone who is so much beyound our comprehension, I don't even see how we dare try associate ourselves with Him/Her/It and why we make ourselves into sheeps for him, personnaly I just ignore Him/Her/It.

Concerning suicide, I'd rather not talk about it, I would be too likely to break the rules.

sgt. Pepper
11-11-04, 23:48
I don't get how anyone would want to end their lives. You cease to exist when you die! Horrible...

RockLee
12-11-04, 01:42
it's not that you just decide to do it...there are other factors playing, like the persons emotions,mental state...etc. To say they're selfish,idiotic isn't for you to decide...sure they will leave family behind...but not always does the person have the conciousness to realise that...therefor you can't just condemn people who are suicidal to be selfish,stupid...it's a mental decease and it can't be helped sometimes. :souka:

Camui
19-11-04, 04:52
I know quite a few ppl that have been suicidal...I was once too...but I realized that suicide would just be a way of running away from your problems and it is not something I'd go through..I just thining of not experiencing my daily life and not seeing those I love anymore made me break down and cry..to think ppl would go through with such a horrible thing is truly painful to think about... :(

Thor
22-11-04, 00:01
If you want to commit suicide then that's not alright with me. Your ending something very precious and rare. Your losing everything that was you, which is very sad. Commiting suicide is just take the cowards way out of a problem.

The AnteLyfe
22-11-04, 00:24
How can you be bothered by someone else's suicide? (which I infer from your statement that if anyone kills themselves, you have issues with it)... People are free to make their own decisions, nobody has a choice whether they're born or not, atleast give them the choice to die if they see that as the optimal solution. You aren't anybody but yourself, so you can't make other's decisions for them, so stop worrying about whether or not you could.

Life is unique in that sooner or later, everyone and everything created from each person's individual life ultimately dies. Don't agree? Think of the oldest historical figure you know. Think of how long ago they lived. Now think of how long humans have been on the planet. You're telling me that (whoever you have in mind) was the first person who did something to be remembered by? Doubtful. All throughout human history (more than a million years), people have died, and nobody remembers them. There aren't any graves for the vast majority of them. And anybody who was ever bothered by their deaths are long gone themselves. So my point is, why worry about anothers suicide, it shouldn't affect you, because it the long run it doesn't matter how any one person dies. We all do.

Thor
22-11-04, 04:40
Ob it doesn't affect me at all when they kill themselves. Maybe it makes me sad to know that a person who was special killed himself for various reasons.

Winter
23-11-04, 00:18
So my point is, why worry about anothers suicide, it shouldn't affect you, because it the long run it doesn't matter how any one person dies. We all do.

While people can have the choice to die, others should be allowed the same freedom you preach, and choose to worry about those who die, without ridicule.

zeroyon
26-11-04, 12:33
I see suicide as such a damn waste. If suicide is used as a ticket out of a bucket load of problems, then thats the bottom of the low. Its such a selfish way to take the easy way out of all of your problems. Like others here, ive thought of suicide to get out of many painful problems i am facing in life right now, but i realised that it doesn't accomplish ONE DAMN THING. All of your problems are still there, except you are dead, and you can never fix them. Basically you gave into your problems, and you just gave up, threw in the towel without making a stand. I see problems now as challenges, even if they are hard or impossible challenges to overcome. Sure it might be impossible to fix all of the problems in your life, but just giving up and letting them get a hold of you without a fight is only hurting yourself more, even more than facing them.

I guess it helps to have this mindset if you aren't religous like me, becuase I could see how very religous people could use suicide as a way out of their problems. Many religious people believe that there is life after death, so they use suicide as a way to get out of their terrible lives and into a life of possibly something better. As for me, I see just black, dark, nothingness after death, and a horrible life is definatley better than nothing at all, at least for me. I actually sometimes believe in god and sometimes I don't, and sometimes I believe that something exists after death, and sometimes I don't. My views change depending on however I feel, like life itself, always changing. It makes me feel alive to not be stuck in one mindset :-)

And just to finish it off in a cheezy way... ill add in a quote by Vash the Stampede from Trigun, in which he says "Suicide? I dissaprove of suicide more than anything."

That is a quote that I agree with 100%, and that is a part of me that doesn't change.

EDIT: interesting fact to people who have been saying "accept it, everything will eventually die." That might not be true for long. Many genes have been recently identified as genes that allow people to age, and with ever-growing technology, one day (maybe soon?) we will be able to stop the aging process for good. Recent geneic engineering tests on flies have allowed them to live over 5x longer than their usual life span for example. For proof, look at this article, which was printed in 2000. The results have improved since then. http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/12/15/live.long.ap/

Also, not only that...what about cybernetic parts, or replacement organs? With the advencement of technology, we will one day soon be able to define what a "spirit" or "consiousness" is. If you create an identicical body to your own, the only difference being that the other body isn't alive, as in doesn't have a consiouess, will it be possible to transfer yourself to the identical body? or even another (replacement) body entirely? Only time will tell.

Ghost in the Shell anyone?

Japanimaniac
03-12-04, 23:30
I see suicide as such a damn waste. If suicide is used as a ticket out of a bucket load of problems, then thats the bottom of the low. Its such a selfish way to take the easy way out of all of your problems. Like others here, ive thought of suicide to get out of many painful problems i am facing in life right now, but i realised that it doesn't accomplish ONE DAMN THING. All of your problems are still there, except you are dead, and you can never fix them. Basically you gave into your problems, and you just gave up, threw in the towel without making a stand. I see problems now as challenges, even if they are hard or impossible challenges to overcome. Sure it might be impossible to fix all of the problems in your life, but just giving up and letting them get a hold of you without a fight is only hurting yourself more, even more than facing them.

Before you say "easy way out", load a gun, put it to your temple, and stop to think about your problems, friends, and everything that connects you to this world. Now see if you still have the strength to pull the trigger.

I don't condone suicide, but those who commit the act are a lot stronger, dedicated, and clear minded than you think. I have a hard time punching my arm hard enough to make it hurt. Shooting myself? Shyeah, right. They may have made a choice disliked by the masses, but that's what life is. Choices.

ragedaddy
04-12-04, 18:49
To me sucicide is nothing but a cowardly way out, and I feel it impacts not only the person that's taking their life, but the surrounding group of family and friends that have to suffer more. Especially if they are leaving kids behind, that is one of the worst possible fates that you could cast on any kid growing up. The most ludicrous reason for suicide that I have ever heard of was that they didn't have the means to pay off debt, say for instance their kid's college tuition, or other bills. I can't not fathom the concept of that it is more honorable to take your own life over becoming homeless or povetry strickened.

I think that Christianity and other religions have a big influence over the concept of suicide. I know as a kid growing up, I was told that suicide was one of the worst acts that you could ever commit (the equivalent to murder). Since Japan has a 1% Christian population, obviously the value systems are different, and they are likely to have a different point of view. I guess, "Honor" is in the eye of the beholder. If you look at suicide bombers, they think they are sacrificing themselves for Allah's sake and the greater good. As someone mentioned, religious cults who think by through this method of suicide they will have their passage to heaven. The code of the Samaurai, where if they happen to lose face or disgrace themselves, then the only way out is through suicide. There are people who are bullied, or feel like they have no reason to live, and so some take matters into their own hands.

I can understand these different point of views, but I can't bring myself to condone these practices. Life is one of the most precious things around, and we don't have that long of a period to be roaming this earth. Therefore, we should make the most out of the time we have instead of even thinking about stopping the clock. That's how I feel anyways....

Martyr
06-12-04, 10:20
I'll approach this in a libertarian, apathetic, but honest way:

As long as you aren't infringing upon the rights and civil liberties of others, I see no problem. If a particular situation involved a friend or family member, would I care? Of course, I've been there before. Thankfully, my friend wisened up.

If you want to kill yourself, go ahead. I'm not going to lie for the sake of appearing moral.

Flashjeff
09-12-04, 02:57
Suicide is easy, life is hard. But the struggle is what makes living worthwhile. I for one have ZERO tolerance for people who foolishly throw away the most precious gift they will evver have----life. Like most people, I've lost loved ones, but never once considered ending my life because of those circumstances. That just plain makes no sense.

Another aspect is that I'm too damn stubborn to go quietly into the good night. I want to enjoy every single day on this rock, be it good days or bad. Sure, I've been down, but I refuse to succumb to depression or misery. No sir! That's not the way I choose to live! Suicide may end the problems of the person who commits it, but it only leaves behind anguish for everyone around that person.

In short, I plan on living long enough to be a pain in the ass to the entire world, and have a great time doing so!

TwistedMac
09-12-04, 03:17
Attempt of suicide should be punishable by death!

Japanimaniac
09-12-04, 03:25
I find myself agreeing with TwistedMac, even though that makes no sense. :p

TwistedMac
09-12-04, 04:28
It's my natural charisma and stunning good looks that compel you to do so.

cicatriz esp
09-12-04, 08:21
There's nothing worse than those idiots that say suicide is cowardly. To me, it takes more courage to end it than to go on in a huge amount of pain. The status quo is easy, change is difficult.

If there's truly no hope of ever feeling better, why not end it? It seems foolish to just go on enduring like some stupid 3 legged mangy dog that doesn't know any better. And if anyone says "oMg it caN aLwaYs get bEtter!!1", i'll scream. If anyone can make such a difficult and final decision, they have my utter respect.

Flashjeff
09-12-04, 11:38
There's nothing worse than those idiots that say suicide is cowardly. To me, it takes more courage to end it than to go on in a huge amount of pain. The status quo is easy, change is difficult.

If there's truly no hope of ever feeling better, why not end it? It seems foolish to just go on enduring like some stupid 3 legged mangy dog that doesn't know any better. And if anyone says "oMg it caN aLwaYs get bEtter!!1", i'll scream. If anyone can make such a difficult and final decision, they have my utter respect.

If believing that suicide is foolish and, yes, COWARDLY, then I'll gladly consider myself a *****. I've certainly been called lots worse. Suicide is the easy way out for people who don't have the guts to fight through life's problems. I just can't accept that any situation or amount of pain is so great that the only way out is to slit your wrist or jump off a building. I'm sorry, but that's b.s.

Death is the status quo because you're only on this rock for a short period of time, and oblivion is forever. I've had loved ones die around me and been through hard times, and while it's extremely painful, it's made me cherish every moment of life. So, on that score, let's respect everyone's opinions on this touchy subject instead of lowering ourselves to name calling because you disagree with them.

sadakoyamamura
09-12-04, 12:54
everyone's basically pointed out what i want to say. that suicide is selfish, idiotic, etcetcetc.

I did finally realize this but I was only 14 then when I first contemplated on ending my life. I have mentioned that I was suicidal but I didn't say the reason why. I was sexually harassed by someone I thought was a friend. I was lonely and there was no one I could trust with my story.

Martyr
09-12-04, 17:29
Please describe to me this beauty of life.

simoung
10-03-05, 14:13
Suicide is a bad thing in the old days when it physically hurts. Since the invention of the bridge, guns, the use of carbon monoxide, Internet, etc, suicide doesn't hurt as much.

If animals had a brain then aminal could be suicidal too. I once saw a hen jumping into a flame when the hen saw her chick burn in a bond fire. The hen wasn't suicidal. She thinks she could save the chicks by pushing them out so she could take their spot. She was thinking about the law of inertia all that time. :wave:

And I run into the bond fire so I could push the hen out. I was thinking, my dinner... I mean my pet.

Shooter452
11-03-05, 18:32
Seppuku, harakiri? (sp?)

Is it odd to kill yourself for "honor"? Japanese students seem to like the idea, it would seem. Wouldn't it be more honorable to live and make up for any mistakes? On the other hand, the tale of the 47 ronin is certainly something else...
I think it is less a matter of fulfilling honor than it is to avoid shame and humiliation. The traditional form of "belly cuts" is also a difficult death to perform with grace, so it was looked upon by peers as an honorable way to "exit, stage right" when the time warranted it (in the eyes of the beholder, gang).

Since the favorite form of "seppuku" during the Pacific war was the hand grenade held against one's head (pull pin, prepare, BOOM!) or a rifle muzzle in the mouth with one's big toe on the trigger, an edged weapon is hardly the issue.

A student who fails to meet the higher education testing criteria is not committing seppuku. He is just quitting the game. Same goes for a kid whose girl friend just threw him over.

If you are not here to greet the next dawn, you will never know what changes a day will make. You might win the lottery. A rich uncle may die and leave you a fortune to squander. Your long lost love may remember why it was that she once felt you were the yin for her yang. But not if you check out the night before!

Silverbackman
11-03-05, 19:10
I don't think it should be a big law or anything. As someone here said before, as long as you aren't infringing upon the rights and civil liberties of others then it is okay, if you really want to.

However, killing yourself is the stupidest thing you can do for trying to solve your problems in life. What will killing yourself do? You only have one life, live it to whatever lengths you can.

When I younger I was always depressed for many reasons which I am not going to get into. More depressed than probably most people that kill themselves. It was literally horrible. However, not once did I ever even attempt to kill myself. I thought of it a few times but I decided NO. It doesn't solve anything.

I am also against government aid for suicide. Suicide should be avoided at all costs and that is why to government should not send special suicide pills to help a person kill themselves. If a person really wants to kill himself, which I highly NOT recommend since it solves nothing, I think they need to find a way to do it themselves.

isayhello
11-03-05, 19:59
Suicide isn't good. *um, looks down on her signature.. um* Suicide for honor is something rooted deep in old japanese culture, and is a thing that can be difficult to understand for non japanese. I have a hard time understanding it fully..
Killing yourself because you're depressed, bullied or hate yourself is a different thing, and is equally bad and horrible. I guess, some people suffer from mental dissorders, and see suicide as the only solution to their problems, and it's terrible if these people don't get the help they need.
But it's still sad and I think you should try and enjoy life and try to fight the problems (gambatte!!) cause there's always something good in life, and most of the time, there's really NO reason to end it.
.....no matter how stupid and geeky that might sound I think it's true.. :blush:

BUT: (conclusion) Suicide can be damn cool and romantic and awesome IN THE MOVIES! (notice IN THE MOVIES) Like.. suicide club (I keep on talking about that movie, don't I?) But that, I guess, has to do with the blood and the fact that people.. ahem.. die. Me like horrormovie with lots of blood! (Do I stay on topic?)

So; Suicide isn't cool and is terrible and sad and should be prevented in real life.. But a little suicide in the movies never hurt anyone... (or did it?)

Doc
11-03-05, 20:37
I almost killed myself once, seriously.

Doc:ramen:

Index
12-03-05, 16:52
The idea of seppuku is from a different world to the one we live in now. In feudal Japan, samurai were completely devoted to serve their lord. Their lives were only significant as far as they served the lord, and above their own interests lay the interests of the lord and the clan. Furthermore, a samurai was a soldier and realised that it was very likely that he would be killed as part of his function in society. In essence, the samurai was a tool. Seppuku was often done in protest against decisions made by the lord. It was the last and most significant thing that a samurai could do to demonstrate that he did not agree, more significant than attacking the lord, for example. Because a good retainers value was known to all, including the retainer himself, his death would be a significant slap in the face of the lord whom it would be done against. It was a protest of the highest magnitude. Other forms of protest would not have been possible due to the structure of the society. It had nothing to do with killing yourself because your problems were too great.

Mycernius
12-03-05, 23:58
There is a lot of negative post on this thread about people who have or have tried to commit suicide. I think a little knowledge on the problem would help. I can remember doing suicide in psychology. Our tutor wasn't just telling us about it, she had at one point attempted suicide. The only reason she survived was because of a nosey neighbour.
Suicide in a lot of cases is caused by psychosis. Normally it starts out as depression. Depression is a neurosis that can be treated. People who are neurotic do know that there is something wrong with them. Unfortunaltly in some cases the depression becomes so bad that it becomes a psychosis. This is when they do not realise that they have a problem. The rational part of the brain switches off. It become totally logical to them to commit suicide. Our tutor told us that when she contemplated it she actually went through how to do it in a cold logical way, what was best, what might fail etc. You can talk to these people, but you cannot really get through to them. It does, after all, make perfect sense to them. Only if they are found in time can proper professional help be given to them. So saying these people are weak and selfish is incorrect, it's just that no-one got to them in time to prevent this.
There are other types of suicide. People who attempt it to gain attention. Normally they have allowed a leyway. They wish to be discovered and most of the time make sure that actual death will not occur. A type of neurosis in other words. Again it is not weak or selfish, it is a plea for help. Again this can have tragic conseqencesas their timing and judgement can be affected by their neurosis.
As for suicide bombers in islamic societies, they are brainwashed by fanatical clerics into believing that they will gain instant access paradise. Islam teaches that in paradise there exist the Houris, beautiful celestial maidens who will be awarded to the faithful. To be a front of the queue, if you like, to kill the infeidel is a one way ticket to the houris. A lot of this poor kids are subseptable to these clerics and with rewards also going to their families they readily accept. You notice that the clerics never do this.

ccg
16-03-05, 08:11
suicide is fine with me.it's the indivudual's decision.

Index
16-03-05, 09:18
It would be fine if we weren't social beings, our lives connected to those of others. Giving the person the benefit of the doubt and assuming that they are totally responsible for themselves, aware of the forces in their life, and thinking straight (unlikely in the case of illness however), their suicide still results in terrible grief and pain for those left behind.

Dutch Baka
03-04-05, 21:57
well in my country it is posible to take a special pilll to die, that is the same as suicide...

people can take that pill under a verry strickt law,,, asking the dockter, after many months....

i can not say its weak or, not... because im not in a situation like this,,, but think about it,,, your familie dies, your love one dies, your live sucks soo bad, you have tried everything to get out of it.. your 50 years old,, have lots of medical problems... would you like to live for another 20/30 years.... i dont know if i would like that....

in this kind of sitiuations people can take a pill like this: BEING LIFE TIRED....

its a differnt thing when you are young, and have many options to get over this i think it is big bullshit....
( sorry i dont know everything about it, because im no docter, or have much knownlege about this,,, just i tell you guys what i know and what i think...)

Doc
03-04-05, 22:19
There is a lot of negative post on this thread about people who have or have tried to commit suicide. I think a little knowledge on the problem would help. I can remember doing suicide in psychology. Our tutor wasn't just telling us about it, she had at one point attempted suicide. The only reason she survived was because of a nosey neighbour.
Suicide in a lot of cases is caused by psychosis. Normally it starts out as depression. Depression is a neurosis that can be treated. People who are neurotic do know that there is something wrong with them. Unfortunaltly in some cases the depression becomes so bad that it becomes a psychosis. This is when they do not realise that they have a problem. The rational part of the brain switches off. It become totally logical to them to commit suicide. Our tutor told us that when she contemplated it she actually went through how to do it in a cold logical way, what was best, what might fail etc. You can talk to these people, but you cannot really get through to them. It does, after all, make perfect sense to them. Only if they are found in time can proper professional help be given to them. So saying these people are weak and selfish is incorrect, it's just that no-one got to them in time to prevent this.

I remember staring at the gun thinking of how easy it is to pull the trigger. I would be gone, little mess, no one to stop me, and that would be that. Humans learn to move on when a person dies, so naturally I figured I would be nothing more than a fading memory to most people. Not only that, but the ones who push me so far into to wanting to committ the act I knew surely wouldn't have given a damn whether I died or not. The way I saw it, nobody would miss me, plus I would be happier just to end it all now then live my entire life in misery. I had it all planned out, ready to finally act until one day when I went to see my physican.

My physican told me that I was slowly killing myself physically. He told me that if I didn't I would be dead before I was 20. He basically said I was dying a slow painful death. That made me realize something that day. Why was I dying a slow painful death? That's right, because the assholes at school were pushing me in that direction. Most of them wanted me to die out of pure cruelty. It was then that I decided to change my life around to get back at the assholes in society, and to live my life the way I want to. Pissed them off to no end either when they realized they couldn't get to me anymore. I never got help either from contemplating attempting, and following through to a certain extent with suicide. I just helped myself instead.

Doc:ramen::happy:

Mycernius
03-04-05, 23:02
I remember staring at the gun thinking of how easy it is to pull the trigger. I would be gone, little mess, no one to stop me, and that would be that. Humans learn to move on when a person dies, so naturally I figured I would be nothing more than a fading memory to most people. Not only that, but the ones who push me so far into to wanting to committ the act I knew surely wouldn't have given a damn whether I died or not. The way I saw it, nobody would miss me, plus I would be happier just to end it all now then live my entire life in misery. I had it all planned out, ready to finally act until one day when I went to see my physican.

My physican told me that I was slowly killing myself physically. He told me that if I didn't I would be dead before I was 20. He basically said I was dying a slow painful death. That made me realize something that day. Why was I dying a slow painful death? That's right, because the assholes at school were pushing me in that direction. Most of them wanted me to die out of pure cruelty. It was then that I decided to change my life around to get back at the assholes in society, and to live my life the way I want to. Pissed them off to no end either when they realized they couldn't get to me anymore. I never got help either from contemplating attempting, and following through to a certain extent with suicide. I just helped myself instead.

I hate bullies. Suffered from it at school myself. Never went that far though. Thanks for sharing your life problems. It seem you have got better because deep down your stubborn enough to carry on. Good for beating them. I've never forgiven those people (I could say worse) and I don't think I ever can. My only enjoyment was meeting one of them later in like. He couldn't face me, mainly because I was taller and bigger than him rather than the other way round, as it was at school. Didn't have his pack of adoring fans with him as well. Its amazing how bullies deflate when they haven't got their friends with them

Doc
04-04-05, 01:15
I was bullied from pre-school until the end of high school. My life was hell for over 14 years. I'm not looking for sympathy, nor do I want to dump my problems onto other people. It's just after reading your previous post, I thought I could relate to your professor in "cold logic" with suicide. That's all. As for forgiving people, I still hate everybody from my school. I vowed to never go to a high school reunion either. Besides the numbnuts that bothered you never change. Actually nobody does for that matter. They're still in their little clicks during reunions. Makes you wonder why you should even bother. Hell eight years from now I'll either be in Seattle, New York, Chicago, Houstan, or Toyko, so I think it would be hard to contact me anyway for it. :-)

Eldritch
14-06-17, 12:23
I used to think it was mainly for the weak and selfish.
Then I began to experience how dramatically painful and messed up life can become.
I still kind of think sometimes it is an option taken by people who are either weak, selfish or impulsive.
But I can also recognize how sometimes existence can grind a person down to nothingness and eventually reach such a desperate state that you begin to search for any way to perhaps elevate the symptoms of such an empty and painful existence that your brain begins to subversively trick you into thinking suicide is a good and rational idea as slowly it begins to seem like the only sensible option left.

Angela
14-06-17, 15:28
Then I began to experience how dramatically painful and messed up life can become.
I still kind of think sometimes it is an option taken by people who are either weak, selfish or impulsive.
But I can also recognize how sometimes existence can grind a person down to nothingness and eventually reach such a desperate state that you begin to search for any way to perhaps elevate the symptoms of such an empty and painful existence that your brain begins to subversively trick you into thinking suicide is a good and rational idea as slowly it begins to seem like the only sensible option left.

There are also genetic predispositions to depression that can lead to suicide that can be triggered by life events. There's a difference between situational depression and clinical depression.

People who have persistent suicidal thoughts should see a psychiatrist. In the past, people just suffered in died for a lot of things. Today, there are options.

Odysseus
14-06-17, 16:23
Funny, I'm a 3rd year psychology student and I had symptoms of aspergers & ocd all my life, if left untreated can lead to major depression and eventually thought of suicide.

One of the main reasons for suicide is when people experience uncontrollable thoughts of self hate and remember (evaluate) every single mistake they made in the past. (Or maybe people experience depression in a different way) but as someone with ocd negative compulsive thoughts and behaviors are one of the main factors leading to suicide. But yes it can be treated.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Eupedia Forum mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=89698)

Apsurdistan
15-06-17, 03:36
I look at it like a personal choice like any other. I don't think people should be encouraged to do it but I have understanding for them. If being alive is more miserable than being dead for some people nobody has the right to tell them they should keep being miserable. And I'm talking about the individuals who really can't find any solution for it, no matter what they try life isn't enjoyable. Well what's the point of living if it's only misery?
Now people with that kind of situation if they're a parent and have kids it's your responsibility to take care of them whether you wanna live or not. Or if you have parents or anybody who really depends on you. For those people suicide is pretty selfish. But if no one is really gonna miss you, it's a legit personal choice in my opinion. Just like abortion.

davef
15-06-17, 06:12
I look at it like a personal choice like any other. I don't think people should be encouraged to do it but I have understanding for them. If being alive is more miserable than being dead for some people nobody has the right to tell them they should keep being miserable. And I'm talking about the individuals who really can't find any solution for it, no matter what they try life isn't enjoyable. Well what's the point of living if it's only misery?
Now people with that kind of situation if they're a parent and have kids it's your responsibility to take care of them whether you wanna live or not. Or if you have parents or anybody who really depends on you. For those people suicide is pretty selfish. But if no one is really gonna miss you, it's a legit personal choice in my opinion. Just like abortion.

Inability to naturally get high in response to certain events that most find rewarding such as graduation, winning first prize, eating candy (lol) is mental prison. By prison, I don't mean a luxury Swedish resort prison with golf courses, massages, bingo, and horse riding.

For people who are severely depressed, the best treatment is medication and exercise. Medication is a must, the people who condemn drugs don't know the difference between drug use and abuse. I don't condone the latter. I've been down that path, and if I could go back I would choose not to. Drugs should be used under the supervision of a dr who cares more for the patient than the half million dollar salary. Using to become functional in today's society should not be frowned upon.

Apsurdistan
15-06-17, 07:58
Inability to naturally get high in response to certain events that most find rewarding such as graduation, winning first prize, eating candy (lol) is mental prison. By prison, I don't mean a luxury Swedish resort prison with golf courses, massages, bingo, and horse riding.

For people who are severely depressed, the best treatment is medication and exercise. Medication is a must, the people who condemn drugs don't know the difference between drug use and abuse. I don't condone the latter. I've been down that path, and if I could go back I would choose not to. Drugs should be used under the supervision of a dr who cares more for the patient than the half million dollar salary. Using to become functional in today's society should not be frowned upon.

Not at all but the drugs don't work for everybody.

davef
15-06-17, 08:26
Not at all but the drugs don't work for everybody.

True, sadly. Not everyone responds to them.

firetown
15-06-17, 11:44

I think it has to do with being unable to imagine that life can ever become better.
If you feel your life is over, it should be over. Your life as you know it that is. Meaning a major change is necessary. When you feel you are not living YOUR life, it is time to do so. Many have turned their lives around in times of such depressions and real success followed. Others decided to walk out on life. Those can be either: Turning points or the ends.

Bergin
17-06-17, 13:46
Have a dear friend with chronic pain. she brings it up quite often.

Maciamo
17-06-17, 18:33
For those feeling concerned by this topic, how could anyone envisage suicide after reading about what the near future has in stock for us (https://www.vitamodularis.org/articles/new_technologies_that_will_change_civilization_as_ we_know_it.shtml)? Everything becomes possible, whatever is afflicting you. Depression itself will be entirely curable thanks to gene therapy (https://www.vitamodularis.org/articles/fix_diseases_and_improve_yourself_through_gene_the rapy.shtml) and new smart drugs. Any other neurological, physical or health condition will also be curable by gene therapy or stem cell therapy. In 10 to 20 years it should be possible to fix anything that needs fixing in one's body (or mind). That may seem like a long time, but treatments for many conditions will see tremendous progress before that, within just a few years. Just check the news. New things are being developed all the time!

I am convinced, like Peter Diamandis, that we are approaching a new society of abundance (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1451695764?ie=UTF8&tag=eupedia-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=1451695764). All the new technologies can only turn informed people in what Matt Ridley calls a Rational Optimist (https://www.amazon.com/Rational-Optimist-Prosperity-Evolves-P-S/dp/0061452068).

Seanp
21-06-17, 13:02
I support Eugenics and family planning. I think we don't need another one billions of people when a quarter of them will die in wars and hunger or end up in some Giblaltar refugee camp and threatened like a slave. We would get way better off with 500 millions of people who receive good education and only have a license to give birth if he/she has a mental capacity to raise a kid with responsibility and love. We don't need sociopaths who will ruin our lives and take advantage of generous, good hearted people.
We seen reach a stage of a New World of view where a different kind of way on human lives and capabilities will be held. It's certainly healthy for every living mammals to reproduce the numbers of human population.