brutal slaying from the past

Margaret Block, a long-time activist in Cleveland, Miss., was a young girl when the pictures were published. "I remember not being able to sleep when I saw [the photos]," she says..."And we always said if we ever got a chance to do something, we were going to change things around here."... For Charles Cobb, a Washington, D.C., journalist and author, the photos were also a catalyst to activism. Cobb first saw the pictures when he was 12 years old. He went on to develop the "Freedom Schools" that mobilized black voters throughout Mississippi in 1964.
We tend to protect children and young teenagers from the horrible scenes, but this article tell me the truth of phtos have powerful effects on youth to correct what their parents could not.

lexico said:
We tend to protect children and young teenagers from the horrible scenes, but this article tell me the truth of phtos have powerful effects on youth to correct what their parents could not.

I completely agree. I've seen pictures of innocent people executed in the middle of crowded streets in Isreal by both sides, only to have them covered up so nobody will know about it. I think showing these images, even though graphic, shows the reality of the situation, and how the next generation of people shouldn't condone it. I'm not talking about just the Middle East, but all over the world. Maybe then things wouldn't be so violent, but then again maybe they can be. The only problem is that we would have to expose such material in a very careful manner. Otherwise it could just lead to more senseless violence rather than stopping it.

Doc

This thread has been viewed 3623 times.

Back