How is France for you?

ElleN

Reaction score
I want to know how is France with eyes of the other countries
like Japan or America or others.
Please, answer with sincerity. Thank you.

I cant speak for anyone else, but I like France. In America, France is seen as a bit snobby and nonchalant.

I passed through Nice a couple of years ago when I was going into San Remo, Italy, and I thought that Nice was incredible. It was very nice. I've also been to Paris, but I think it's not as good as people make it seem. I think the French people are very nice; the girls are pretty, nice fashion style, good cuisine, but I don't like French arrogance and French nationalism. I don't like the French who think that they should lead Europe and that they are better than the rest of us.

France itself is a beautiful country and in fact the most touristical in the world, so that means lot's of people like France. Rare are the countries in the world that have as much historical heritage (castles, churches, cities...) combined with some great scenery (Alps, Cote d'Azur, Provence, Cevennes...).

French people are usually seen as rational, cultivated, stylish and open to the world but also as argumentative ("always right"), chauvinistic or difficult to understand (because of "French logic").

France, the country of love & haute cuisine, not to forget haute couture & high culture. That's Germany's view (well... the stereotypes).

I absolutely love France! :love: I have always loved France. I took French for 4 years and that was my intended major in college. I've only been there twice, though. :( I want to go back very, very soon!

I am glad for your answers. It is true we are proud and chauvinistic, and I regret it.
But I think a lot of french are nice and obliging. Sincerely.

What says television at your home?
I think that many foreign journalists give you a very bad "picture" of France.
Is it true?

ElleN said:
What says television at your home?
I think that many foreign journalists give you a very bad "picture" of France.
Is it true?
Not in Germany. We get a rather differentiated picture. If you watch the good programs, that is. The reporting in the private media is more sensational, but not necessarily more negative. It all depends, actually.

I always love German ; they are educated and they are never excessive.
Together we have a chain of television ARTE (it speaks the two languages) whom I love so much and I often look at.
I am very glad that the German journalists give you a truth picture of France.

Duo said:
I passed through Nice a couple of years ago when I was going into San Remo, Italy, and I thought that Nice was incredible. It was very nice. I've also been to Paris, but I think it's not as good as people make it seem. I think the French people are very nice; the girls are pretty, nice fashion style, good cuisine, but I don't like French arrogance and French nationalism. I don't like the French who think that they should lead Europe and that they are better than the rest of us.

Yoroshikuuuuuu !!!! :D I live in Nice, and I am always looking for foreigners who came here. I love Nice because living in there is very confortable. Girls are really pretty here (ok, I know my girlfriend is Japanese ... but still I can find them pretty :p ). But the biggest problem with Nice is that people are not as much welcoming as elsewhere in France. I met a girl one week ago and she was from Israel. She said she is very surprised that people in Nice are arrogant (french are said to be) and not nice at all. She said that everywhere else she went, she could ask her way to people in the street, but in Nice, people were so reluctant to that. Hehe, don't worry, everybody is not like that. :wave:

That's so great to hear that the world like France in general.
As I am keen on History and Cuisine, I love travelling in France. Nice has a so great history because if you go back to 150 years ago, Nice wasn't part of France ;)

I'd like to visit the South of France thorougly well one day, when my French is fluent :p. I think the south of France and North of Italy, that area there, is very a very nice place to visit. Forgot, I also been to Normandy, that was very nice indeed.

Yes, southern France and Northern Italy are very beautiful. I live in Nice, but I have my family ( on my father's side) in Lombardy and I love going there.
I also went to Belgium two years ago. I stayed in Oostend and visited Bruge and some cities at the border with France. It was really really good, and I really like Belgium (I love it :D).

Riven said:
Yes, southern France and Northern Italy are very beautiful. I live in Nice, but I have my family ( on my father's side) in Lombardy and I love going there.
I also went to Belgium two years ago. I stayed in Oostend and visited Bruge and some cities at the border with France. It was really really good, and I really like Belgium (I love it :D).

Most foreigners like myself, don't really like Belgium. I however think is nice, and that every country has somethin nice to offer if you just give it a chance, so for the time I have left, I try to figure out more about Belgium and its culture rather than simply sayin "Belgium sucks" and be bitter. The only negative aspect of Belgium is its weather. I only saw Nice for a little though. I took the bus ride from the airport to the train station, and also the same thing on the way back. But the bus went by the beach for most of the route so my impression was very good of the city.

ElleN said:
I always love German ; they are educated and they are never excessive.
Together we have a chain of television ARTE (it speaks the two languages) whom I love so much and I often look at.
I am very glad that the German journalists give you a truth picture of France.
ARTE is one of the better channels, they often have very good documentaries.

Well, Reader's Digest has done a poll about who the most liked Europeans are: 16% liked Spain the most, then came Italy (12%), 3rd was France with 10%. Germany is on a shared 5th place with Holland (6%).

The most sex appeal has Italy (a whopping 34%), followed by Spain (15%) & surprisingly only on the 3rd rank France (14%). Germany? Oh well... forget it!

Duo said:
Most foreigners like myself, don't really like Belgium. I however think is nice, and that every country has somethin nice to offer if you just give it a chance, so for the time I have left, I try to figure out more about Belgium and its culture rather than simply sayin "Belgium sucks" and be bitter.

If we are going to discuss the merits and demerits of Belgium too, then I can certainly help. The good points are :
- the food (not just chocolate, wafles, biscuits, beer and cheese, but the gastronomy in general, very similar to French food, but more hearty)
- the history : there is probable no other country in the world (not even France) with as many castles and churches per square meter. In average 2 castles (or "chateau-ferme", ie those converted into a farm) per village !
- multiculturalism, openness to the world, capital of the EU and very pro-european feeling...

Bad points :
- weather : can't rain more, even in England
- bureaucracy

I Can Not Think Of France......

without thinking of "THE FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION"!!
In the late 50's or early 60's there was a weekly TV show
about the Foreign Legion.Anytime things got bad at home,
I wanted to run away to France and join! When I learned to read, comic books and magazines & paperbacks all told
how brave they were and how well they died for the glory
of France! I think they still exist, but you hear very little about them now?

Frank

:?

Frank D. White said:
without thinking of "THE FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION"!!
In the late 50's or early 60's there was a weekly TV show
about the Foreign Legion.Anytime things got bad at home,
I wanted to run away to France and join! When I learned to read, comic books and magazines & paperbacks all told
how brave they were and how well they died for the glory
of France! I think they still exist, but you hear very little about them now?

Frank

:?
Not agree! Each year, the State gives them legions of honor.
They are not forgotten ; French knows it although they made and they always will be grateful. However, it's true at your home anyone doesn't speak about them. :souka:

Maciamo said:
If we are going to discuss the merits and demerits of Belgium too, then I can certainly help. The good points are :
- the food (not just chocolate, wafles, biscuits, beer and cheese, but the gastronomy in general, very similar to French food, but more hearty)
- the history : there is probable no other country in the world (not even France) with as many castles and churches per square meter. In average 2 castles (or "chateau-ferme", ie those converted into a farm) per village !
- multiculturalism, openness to the world, capital of the EU and very pro-european feeling...

Bad points :
- weather : can't rain more, even in England
- bureaucracy

I love the Belgians very much. For us French, they are like close cousins or brothers. And they have qualities that we don't have : they are always obliging and pleasant, they are less arrogant. They understood that is necessary to take the best things of foreign countries. And we don't know how to do the same because we are too chauvinistic. :balloon:

bossel said:
ARTE is one of the better channels, they often have very good documentaries.

Well, Reader's Digest has done a poll about who the most liked Europeans are: 16% liked Spain the most, then came Italy (12%), 3rd was France with 10%. Germany is on a shared 5th place with Holland (6%).

The most sex appeal has Italy (a whopping 34%), followed by Spain (15%) & surprisingly only on the 3rd rank France (14%). Germany? Oh well... forget it!

I know germans are good dredgers... LOL No?

Duo said:
I'd like to visit the South of France thorougly well one day, when my French is fluent :p. I think the south of France and North of Italy, that area there, is very a very nice place to visit. Forgot, I also been to Normandy, that was very nice indeed.

I was born in Normandy, in Dieppe, the saylors 's city. It's a beautiful region. :p

And Yes! Nice is very nice! :wave:

Don't get me started....

I just came home from my cousins wedding in France...yeah she married a french guy :p ...well yesterdaymorning 7 am we left for a 520 km long trip to Dreux(somewhere in the vicinity of Paris)and we were VERY late due to a traffic hold wich is common in Paris....*rolls eyes*...well these Frenchies CAN'T drive normal...they are THE worst drivers the world has... :eek:kashii: they are just so damn arrogant on the road you couldn't believe it!!!well...for dinner we got nice food....but(you can guess it) NOT ENOUGH...I like a full plate of tasty food....not just some small portion of food that's doesn't fill your stomach at all...the party was nice n all....but there were like a SHITLOAD of tiny flies all around the damn place *evil eyes* >_<
the food was like filled with flies b4 you put something in your mouth!!
God I like Belgium better!! *sighs*
And the cheese....for crying out loud...who the h*ll likes lettuce wit wine vinegare and stinky cheese as dessert ??? *HMPHF* xD

AND it's sooooooo freaking expensive....!!!

I totally agree with you RockLee about French arogance on the road, but I think you never been to Netherland or to Southern Italy, right ? Here are the worst drivers in the world. Southern Italy's streets are such a mess !! People goes on the wrong way to make their way shorter, policemen talk to girls (lol) while there is a traffic jam in front of their eyes, scooters drives so fast, and without helmets. But ironicly, Italy has less car crashes than France. Everybody knows that the other won't respect things (according to my eyes), so they expect driver's behaviour.

About the Foreign Legion, it is still consider as Elite in French army. Since The Legion was created in 1831 by the king Louis-Philippe, it joined all the most important battles and is still involved in nowadays conflicts. There are still sometimes TV programs about The Legion, and as ElleN said, French President gives every year the Legion of Honor to the Foreign Legion

This thread has been viewed 74733 times.

Back